Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    All those people that were relocated from New Orleans to Houston after Katrina, get to relive this sh*t all over again.
    It's sad but if they had done a little reading they would have known that Houston had zero city planning for anything like this. From the reporting this morning they paved over flood plains without even batting an eyelash.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's sad but if they had done a little reading they would have known that Houston had zero city planning for anything like this. From the reporting this morning they paved over flood plains without even batting an eyelash.
    I'm not sure that if you were to look into the emergency management plans of any U.S. city you're going to find a chapter entitled, "What to do when you get 50 inches of rain."
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not sure that if you were to look into the emergency management plans of any U.S. city you're going to find a chapter entitled, "What to do when you get 50 inches of rain."
    As I understand it this has happened before. However, this time it's 12' higher. It's just another example of how we never learn.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Lucia Apologist

You took the words right out of my mouth. This has never happened before in the US since we started detailing weather records. I heard this morning that experts have estimated this storm has dropped over 11 trillion gallons of water and it's not over yet.

Scooby, there aren't many places in the US that can handle four feet of rain in under a week. Probably none.

Put the amount of rain in perspective, to date in 2017, MSP has received 27" of rain. They received that in the first 24-48 hours.

What could they possibly have learned. You throw out "but this time it's 12' higher" like it's inconsequential. How the hell do you learn from that?

Did you mean 12" more rain? Even then, how do you fix that in a city like Houston. Even $100 billion to put that kind of infrastructure in would be just scratching the surface. We're probably talking about something closer to a $1 trillion to fix a city of that size's infrastructure to handle a storm like this.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-28-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Still, the very definition of risk mitigation is there is a chapter entitled "What you can do when the unimaginably awful happens." For example, in the USG we have continuity of operations plans and the last chapter is literally "Catastrophe Mitigation," where the event is left undefined but it stands for "even worse" than the specified scenarios. Considering one of the specified scenarios is nuclear war... Anyway, the Catastrophe Mitigation is a set of protocols that depend on what's left: do you have infrastructure, do you have comms, do you have a command structure, etc. At each stage there are steps you take to try to prevent even more massive damage. This is actually one of the key responsibilities of government.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Still, the very definition of risk mitigation is there is a chapter entitled "What you can do when the unimaginably awful happens." For example, in the USG we have continuity of operations plans and the last chapter is literally "Catastrophe Mitigation," where the event is left undefined but it stands for "even worse" than the specified scenarios. Considering one of the specified scenarios is nuclear war... Anyway, the Catastrophe Mitigation is a set of protocols that depend on what's left: do you have infrastructure, do you have comms, do you have a command structure, etc. At each stage there are steps you take to try to prevent even more massive damage. This is actually one of the key responsibilities of government.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And part of that is stop building in flood plains. And below sea level.

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I thought it was Irma?

And, to back up what I'm saying.

Here.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/houston-pro...ry?id=49452150

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And part of that is stop building in flood plains. And below sea level.
    well were else can the coloreds afford to live?!?!?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    well were else can the coloreds afford to live?!?!?
    poor folk, mookie. Poor folk.

Lucia Apologist

I'm glad everything is so simple and black and white in ScoobyWorld. Because in the real world, things are more complicated.

Houston is enormous because of the number of jobs there driven by one of the nation's largest oil and gas ports. People go where the jobs are. Planning for 1,000-year events is simply an impossibility in a society with limited resources.

How would you plan to relocate the six million people there? How do possibly plan around all 1,000-year events for an area?

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I'm glad everything is so simple and black and white in ScoobyWorld. Because in the real world, things are more complicated.

Houston is enormous because of the number of jobs there driven by one of the nation's largest oil and gas ports. People go where the jobs are. Planning for 1,000-year events is simply an impossibility in a society with limited resources.

How would you plan to relocate the six million people there? How do possibly plan around all 1,000-year events for an area?
    You can't. BUT. You can do more. And they don't do more, why? Cause Republicans that's why.

From my article I posted.

Brody's hope is that there'll be greater leadership from the local and federal government to "genuinely start dealing with this flood issue."

"It's not a matter of will we get this again in some form? We absolutely will," Brody said. "The question is what is the cost of doing nothing or not doing enough going forward?"

Brody warned, "And every year we don't start thinking systematically about protection and mitigation for a lot of different areas, the price of tagging the next storm continues to go up."
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 08-28-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Send them back to New Orleans?? (just kidding)

I get where Scooby is coming from, but he could be a lot less of a dick about it. Especially while the disaster is, you know, still ongoing and getting worse.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I thought it was Irma?
    Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I get where Scooby is coming from, but he could be a lot less of a dick about it.
    Have you met him?
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

I hope that hockeyplayer1015 is OK. He hasn't posted since early yesterday afternoon.

Well, it might help to start planning for the next one, because global warming will turn 1000 year events into 100 year events.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Well, it might help to start planning for the next one, because global warming will turn 1000 year events into 100 year events.
    Will still be cheaper to rebuild one city every 100 years than to retrofit them all to make waterproof

Thread Information