Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 486

Thread: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

  1. #181
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,588

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I hope people remember this the next time a politician thunders about "suffocating red tape" or "job-killing regulations."
    Yeah, right. They won't. They're ****ing hypocrites.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  2. #182
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    11,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Is your boat moving now, or are you still holed up?
    Nothing is moving over this way. Port Arthur/Beaumont, Galveston, Houston, Freeport harbors are all closed.

    We're staying here at the dock we load at, so we won't be going anywhere unless they send us north with just 1 of our 2 barges.

  3. #183
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    9,005

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Nothing is moving over this way. Port Arthur/Beaumont, Galveston, Houston, Freeport harbors are all closed.

    We're staying here at the dock we load at, so we won't be going anywhere unless they send us north with just 1 of our 2 barges.
    I recently heard Galveston is reopen for cruise ships. Although, the one I know of isn't going to arrive until tomorrow sometime.

  4. #184
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    11,979
    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I recently heard Galveston is reopen for cruise ships. Although, the one I know of isn't going to arrive until tomorrow sometime.
    Ya, they opened them with draft restrictions. The cruise ships will be fine (plus Galveston is in pretty good shape). Still virtually nothing moving anywhere over here.

  5. #185
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,588

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    I just keep finding more and more quotes and information on Houston's arrogance and negligence when it comes to city planning.

    "Houston is the most flood-prone city in the United States," said Rice University environmental engineering professor Phil Bedient. "No one is even a close second — not even New Orleans, because at least they have pumps there."

    The entire system is designed to clear out only 12 to 13 inches of rain per 24-hour period, said Jim Blackburn, an environmental law professor at Rice University: "That's so obsolete it's just unbelievable."
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  6. #186
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,410

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I just keep finding more and more quotes and information on Houston's arrogance and negligence when it comes to city planning.
    So fck all 6 million people who live there, right? It's so obvious that you are just dying to pin this on the residents for "voting for it".
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  7. #187
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,588

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    So fck all 6 million people who live there, right? It's so obvious that you are just dying to pin this on the residents for "voting for it".
    Yep. **** em.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  8. #188

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,361

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Yep. **** em.
    I strongly suspect the vast majority of people hurt by this are people who wouldn't vote for the schmucks in the Texas leg or governor's mansion. Houston seems to be one of the few places in TX where there is brain activity.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,033

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I strongly suspect the vast majority of people hurt by this are people who wouldn't vote for the schmucks in the Texas leg or governor's mansion. Houston seems to be one of the few places in TX where there is brain activity.
    Certainly pretty blue around much of Houston.

    http://www.politico.com/2016-electio...esident/texas/
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  10. #190
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,588

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I strongly suspect the vast majority of people hurt by this are people who wouldn't vote for the schmucks in the Texas leg or governor's mansion. Houston seems to be one of the few places in TX where there is brain activity.
    Except when it comes to buying a home. I could see living there but it would change my lifestyle and my idea of home completely. I would have left a week before this storm and I would live a tiny home lifestyle so I could get my valuables out of there and not care if the house goes under.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  11. #191
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,410

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Except when it comes to buying a home. I could see living there but it would change my lifestyle and my idea of home completely. I would have left a week before this storm and I would live a tiny home lifestyle so I could get my valuables out of there and not care if the house goes under.
    Hindsight's 20/15, eh?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  12. #192
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,588
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Hindsight's 20/15, eh?
    Place has been flood prone for years. No hindsight involved.

  13. #193
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,539

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Except when it comes to buying a home. I could see living there but it would change my lifestyle and my idea of home completely. I would have left a week before this storm and I would live a tiny home lifestyle so I could get my valuables out of there and not care if the house goes under.
    God, it must be so nice to have options. How about the people too poor to move? Or those that can't just pick up their life, find a new job, and move?

    But yeah, **** 'em

  14. #194
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,359

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    I'm not liking Irma cranking up and tracking toward the Windward Islands. Long range tracks still have her mostly going back North from there but it's likely to make a mess of some of the islands. And storms have had a nasty habit of getting into the Caribbean or the Florida Straights from there before turning North. Or at least getting sucked West enough to get to the East coast. There's been quite a bit of flooding in Florida from the low that hung out here for the last week. Really don't need any more here, let alone in the northern Gulf.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  15. #195
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,410

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I'm not liking Irma cranking up and tracking toward the Windward Islands. Long range tracks still have her mostly going back North from there but it's likely to make a mess of some of the islands. And storms have had a nasty habit of getting into the Caribbean or the Florida Straights from there before turning North. Or at least getting sucked West enough to get to the East coast. There's been quite a bit of flooding in Florida from the low that hung out here for the last week. Really don't need any more here, let alone in the northern Gulf.
    Yep. These are not good words to read:

    Irma has become an impressive hurricane with intense eyewall convection surrounding a small eye...Overall, Irma should be in a low-shear environment for several days...After the weekend, Irma should be moving over much warmer water...All indications are for Irma to be strengthening by the end of the forecast period...extremely low pressures [are] forecast by the global and regional hurricane models at that time.
    At this point, it doesn't matter where this one's trending, as it's looking like a rough ride no matter where it lands.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  16. #196
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,588
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    God, it must be so nice to have options. How about the people too poor to move? Or those that can't just pick up their life, find a new job, and move?

    But yeah, **** 'em
    Nice city planning. Government basically set them up to fail.

  17. #197

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,664
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Nice city planning. Government basically set them up to fail.
    Any city along water is a candidate for a flooding. New York City drowned in Sandy - and the infrastructure is still not 100%. New Orleans is a ticking time bomb. Miami, Tampa Bay, Charleston (which floods every time there is a heavy rain), the East Coast resorts.

    Cincinnati drowned in 1937 and Elmira and Harrisburg drowned after Agnes in 1972.

    The left coast has to deal with the Ring of Fire and earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis. San Francisco was rebuilt after 1906.

    Heck, London used to flood if there was a storm surge up the Thames.

    People still live there - nobody's permanently closed a major city because of a disaster since Port Royal sunk way back when.

  18. #198
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,539

    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    The entire north metro of the twin cites is a flood plain.

    I would die laughing if scooby lives in the north metro.

  19. #199
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,588
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The entire north metro of the twin cites is a flood plain.

    I would die laughing if scooby lives in the north metro.
    Nope.

  20. #200
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,588
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Any city along water is a candidate for a flooding. New York City drowned in Sandy - and the infrastructure is still not 100%. New Orleans is a ticking time bomb. Miami, Tampa Bay, Charleston (which floods every time there is a heavy rain), the East Coast resorts.

    Cincinnati drowned in 1937 and Elmira and Harrisburg drowned after Agnes in 1972.

    The left coast has to deal with the Ring of Fire and earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis. San Francisco was rebuilt after 1906.

    Heck, London used to flood if there was a storm surge up the Thames.

    People still live there - nobody's permanently closed a major city because of a disaster since Port Royal sunk way back when.
    Again, misses the point. Houston has done as little as possible to mitigate flooding. That's the point. Always has been.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •