Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

My dad's sister lives in Punta Gorda. I texted my cousin earlier in the week - she lives there with her mom. Her brother lives in a different house, my uncle is in a VA nursing home. Initially it was tracking west coast, then on Thursday it looked like it was going to hook east and slam Miami. Now it appears they're going to get a direct hit. They aren't evacuating. I'm really worried about them. I have another cousin that lives in Tarpon Springs, my parents' goddaughter lives in Tampa....this is so ridiculously frightening

Comment

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Never been a fan of Rick Scott, but he seems to be on point this week. Good to see.

Sister seems to be out of the worst zone which is good (for me).

Parents' place in Naples is now under the gun, but they're not there.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Thanks, that's good to know.

Keep us posted about your situation. If you need anything let us know.

Good luck man...
        Thanks, I think we will be just fine ourselves, but the possible storm surge and wind back home in Cape Coral - Ft Myers area (as well as Naples to Tampa) looks truly apocalyptic. Talking tens of thousands of homes possibly (likely) going underwater. I used to live about 6 feet above sea level but fortunately moved to higher ground a couple years back and will likely avoid the surge... but not the winds as it stands. Watching people trying to get into Germain Arena (Home of the Everblades) to take shelter... Whole thing giving us a sick feeling...

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        Hoping for the best for you and those around you, Wisko.

Fortunately, it should weaken to a Cat 2 (ish) before it gets to my neck of the woods. Hoping my place will be alright, but it's still stressful not being there and not knowing.
        Hopefully the winds drop... Tampa is also looking like massive inundation. I know Brandon is a little higher... hopefully you're not too close to the river south? Fingers crossed and wishing Good luck to you and yours, and all of us

I'm sure we will see lots of reports of people being jerks, but I have to say that while all of us 6 million (that's hard to grasp in itself) refugees are under a lot of stress, people have all been handling it very well. Everyone I've met and has been quiet, but very kind, generous, and concerned for each other. Pettiness has been left behind and everyone is conducting themselves admirably under the circumstances.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Never been a fan of Rick Scott, but he seems to be on point this week. Good to see.

Sister seems to be out of the worst zone which is good (for me).

Parents' place in Naples is now under the gun, but they're not there.
          Regardless of his politics, organization is right in Scott's wheelhouse and the government has performed great thus far. They also are on top of prepping a massive response for after. I've been impressed.

Edit: A little slowing down over Cuba, but SW Floridians recall well that Charley went from a 1 to a massive 4 in 3 hours over the Florida Straights after leaving Cuba.
          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 09-09-2017, 09:26 AM.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Pretty soon, TWC is going to have to start talking about Jose. Puerto Rico news is- it should turn north Sunday morning, but still to hit the leeward islands. There's SO much heat in the water- it's going to at least stay a Cat4.
            Jose is going to pass north and east of the Leeward Islands. Some of the outer bands are going to clip Antigua and Barbuda, but that's about it.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Fortunately my grandparents are still in Michigan, and not back in Port Charlotte. They rode out Wilma when they lived on Marco Island, and said that was the last time they would do that.

Comment

FWIW, this thread has the post posts of any Atlantic Hurricane thread which still exist. The 2012 one had 344 replies. My recollection is that we filled a thread back in 2005.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                  Jose is going to pass north and east of the Leeward Islands. Some of the outer bands are going to clip Antigua and Barbuda, but that's about it.
                  That would be a good thing- but as you've posted before, it can change.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Don't believe any model
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      Don't believe any model
                      Except Gisele, right?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Except that it's already passing by the islands.
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Heading to Orlando on Thursday for vacation. Friday was supposed to be a day at Universal but may turn into a volunteer day with helping hurricane/flood recovery.

Comment

Natural selection at work...

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Except Gisele, right?
                              Especially, Gisele...

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Natural selection at work...

Gotta get that hurricane selfie!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Fu-v490-c (language NSFW)

Work has been done in MIA since early afternoon yesterday, and we only had a couple JAX trips today (which should all be done). We're supposed to start up again in MIA Monday afternoon, but that may be optimistic. Running a lot of extra flights to help get people out the last few days, including our MIA based crews and their families...

Still have a few friends down there in FL though. Most concerned about one in St. Petersburg...
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                                Except that it's already passing by the islands.
                                It still could turn west to the Bahamas and into Florida. The predictions now says that it will just hang out and die in the Atlantic. But the water is so warm there, there's plenty of fuel.

Again, you posted that the predictions have a 200mile range. It's got a long way to go before it's not a hurricane.

Comment

Working...
                                X