Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Again. No one is saying you can do everything. What I am saying is we're not doing enough. Not even close. And the evidence to that effect is staggering.
    Rich people like living near water so this will become A Priority. If it was just the Poors they'd let them die like in New Orleans, but this is important -- it's not just costing lives, it's costing money.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      This may be a dumb question but did you go out to sea during the actual winds? My landlubber's understanding is that the two great enemies of ships during a storm are fire and sh-t you can ram into. Not much to do about #1, but #2 they solve by actually leaving port and riding it out.
      Heck no. I'm on a strictly inland towboat, we only transit the inland rivers (Mississippi, Ohio, Tennessee, etc) and along the gulf ICW (think Pensacola to Brownsville). We start seeing waves greater than 3', and it isn't gonna be a good time (though it would likely take more than that to sink us. 3 inland towboat from another company got themselves in trouble just inside the coast near Corpus at landfall, in rumored 15' swells. 1-2 sank, 1-2 beached, haven't seen anything official. All crews were rescued, miraculously).

Your statement would pertain to ships that are meant for ocean/open water transit.

I've spent this storm tied off to numerous small trees in a bayou 12 miles inland from the coast, halfway between Galveston and Freeport. So we really haven't seen anything too major for wind, mainly up to 30, gusts to 50's.

Comment

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Comment

Man, these pictures are astounding.

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane...-harvey-images
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            Heck no. I'm on a strictly inland towboat, we only transit the inland rivers (Mississippi, Ohio, Tennessee, etc) and along the gulf ICW (think Pensacola to Brownsville). We start seeing waves greater than 3', and it isn't gonna be a good time (though it would likely take more than that to sink us. 3 inland towboat from another company got themselves in trouble just inside the coast near Corpus at landfall, in rumored 15' swells. 1-2 sank, 1-2 beached, haven't seen anything official. All crews were rescued, miraculously).

Your statement would pertain to ships that are meant for ocean/open water transit.

I've spent this storm tied off to numerous small trees in a bayou 12 miles inland from the coast, halfway between Galveston and Freeport. So we really haven't seen anything too major for wind, mainly up to 30, gusts to 50's.
            How is the water level in your bayou??
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              How is the water level in your bayou??
              I'd say 4-5' higher than normal. It's worse just up the creek a little bit, it widens out a good bit where I am.

I don't have a specific amount of rainfall for my location, but areas close to me that have had official figures noted are 20-25" thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Top Comment Candidate: "This is the only time I ****ing hate purple rain"
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No operations in/out of IAH until Friday at noon at the earliest. Spent about 6 or 7 hours cancelling flights today. Only 1 runway open so they are just going to have humanitarian flights operate there for the next couple days. There were still a few hundred passengers stuck in the terminal last I heard, they should all be out by the end of the day. HOU had to bring a controller in today via helicopter.

It's a giant cluster****.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I saw images of Delta jets almost completely submerged.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I saw images of Delta jets almost completely submerged.
                      This one?
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Could be. I thought I saw it on a news site, but could have been Facebook I suppose.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          Lol, that is obviously not the Houston skyline. Nevermind that DL would not have that many aircraft at IAH, but most of the public wouldn't know that.

Fake news just makes a bad situation even worse.

Comment

I honesty can't even find the article or post where I saw it. *shrug*
                            Code:

Comment

CNN here breaking news on Harvey. Strengthening and poised to hit Texas again!!!!
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                CNN here breaking news on Harvey. Strengthening and poised to hit Texas again!!!!
                                Yep. Houston is supposed to get 14-20+ more inches of rain Tuesday into Wednesday...
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X