Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This will be the first time multiple cat 4s or above make landfall in the US in the same season.

Ever.

But no, climate change isn't real so don't mention it in government reports.
    Yet there had been no major hurricane landfalls for the previous 12 years, a record amount of time without one hitting.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
      Yet there had been no major hurricane landfalls for the previous 12 years, a record amount of time without one hitting.
      I'm in complete agreement with you. It's fictional. Please join me out on the water to show those scientists we're on to them.

I may be a little late.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

3 hurricanes in Atlantic basin right now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Their average error at that range is close to 200 miles. Keep that in mind.
          Would the error still be that high considering the relatively good agreement among most of the model tracks?

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
            Would the error still be that high considering the relatively good agreement among most of the model tracks?
            Well, the 5-day forecast from the GFS that verifies today was off by about 300 miles, so yes.

Model agreement does not necessarily mean they are all going to verify.
            Last edited by ScottK; 09-06-2017, 05:46 PM.

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Their average error at that range is close to 200 miles. Keep that in mind.

And?

Normally, the models all range that much, too- so instead of a 400 mile target, it's down to 200 miles.

Darned liberals.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                Well, the 5-day forecast from the GFS that verifies today was off by about 300 miles, so yes.

Model agreement does not necessarily mean they are all going to verify.
                Was there a similar level of agreement five days ago? I honestly have no idea.

Comment

Perhaps most importantly, the European model agrees the situation could be bad for Miami.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...icts-for-irma/

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I'm in complete agreement with you. It's fictional. Please join me out on the water to show those scientists we're on to them.

I may be a little late.
                    You're also assuming it will still be Category 4 or stronger at landfall in the US, if it even makes landfall in the US.

Comment

Perhaps most importantly, the European model agrees the situation could be bad for Miami.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...icts-for-irma/
                      And yesterday, the European model had the storm making landfall in Cuba then turning north and hitting the west coast of Florida.

Comment

No.

http://www.weathernerds.org/tc_guida...html?tcid=AL11
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Dang

https://***********/stormchaserukeu/...53567112626176

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Just using the 2 maps on that page, when you look at the area around south Florida, you've got a range of nearly 400-500 miles in where the center could be, and also a range of more than 24 hours (The GFS has the storm there Sunday, the ECMWF Monday). That's not exactly what I'd call "agreement". Plus, as I stated already, agreement does not equal verification.

Comment

Somewhat - http://derecho.math.uwm.edu/models/a...2017090112.png

However, they all seemed to agree that at 120 hours (verification - 8am EDT today), the storm would be anywhere from 50-250 miles east or northeast of the the Leeward Islands. It was actually just west of St. Martin.

Comment

Just using the 2 maps on that page, when you look at the area around south Florida, you've got a range of nearly 400-500 miles in where the center could be, and also a range of more than 24 hours (The GFS has the storm there Sunday, the ECMWF Monday). That's not exactly what I'd call "agreement". Plus, as I stated already, agreement does not equal verification.
                                Did a hurricane projection model touch you as a child? I'm not quite sure what your point with all your posts is. Should we ignore all the forecasts?
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X