NCAA Hockey Administrators to western fans: Drop Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
    A lot of schools would love to host, but the NCAA won't host at home sites, only near-home sites, and charges outrageous ticket prices on top of that. There's little question to me that places like UMD, Michigan, Wisconsin, et al could be interested if they were allowed to host at home. Alas, they want neutral sites that also sell well.

Eastern people don't see a problem with this because all of the regionals are two hours or less from a dozen schools including almost the entirety of whole conferences. Things work differently out west, a constituency that consists of half the sport and should be respected. They find a neutral site somewhere that's close to nobody, host games there, and charge outrageous prices for inferior products. And I say that as someone who has actually spent significant money to take my family to a regional hours away from home.

The obvious, logical answer is to host the first two rounds at the home sites of the higher seed, as they do in many NCAA sports. Worried about home crowds? No problem, make them earned. Your boys can host a game or two at Tsongas, a surprise high seed out of the WCHA (like Mankato a couple of years ago) gets to expose its fans to real playoff hockey instead of sending them to Indiana, North Dakota can host at the Ralph instead of dummy not-quite-home locations nearby. More fans come, the product is better, everybody is happy.

But as long as the Boston-area folks are happy, you know, the sport must be ok.
    I'm a Boston area fan and I agree with you. 100%

Comment

Re: NCAA Hockey Administrators to western fans: Drop Dead

Do we know who all bid for West and Midwest?

There are claims on another board that some schools bid but with their on-campus/home rink.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        To be fair, I think you're missing his point Or you haven't looked at a map. It's easy for Eastern fans (and I'm in the East) to say "show up." But we don't have to travel 1000 miles to a regional. I can drive to ALL of the following places in two hours or less:
        Albany
        Bridgeport
        Springfield
        Hartford
        Providence
        Portland
        Manchester
        Worcester

How many Lowell fans would "show up" if they had to travel to, say, Denver for a regional and then say, St. Louis in two weeks subsequently for the Frozen Four? The regional system is inherently unfair to the West because everything is so far away. They have it in North Dakota because at least they'll fill the arena. How many Mankato State fans are going to travel to Providence? How many Harvard fans went to Chicago for that matter?
        I understand his issues, I am simply pointing out the obvious answer which might hurt his feelings. Notre Dame got to host at Compton 2 years ago. Nothing is stopping Duluth from bidding for a home regional, I would bet good money (or beer) that they would have received it had they bid. The NCAA must abhor the idea of allowing schools to host in back to back years (3 years now for NoDak), it makes them look bush-league.

To answer your second question, for 2017 I would guess about 150 Lowell fans would go to Denver for a regional because they could make a vacation out of it. And similar numbers plus a student trip with about 80 students at discounted rates for the FF. So about 150-200 at the regional, 300 at the FF
        BS UMass Lowell 2015
        PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

There are claims on another board that some schools bid but with their on-campus/home rink.
          But isn't that the issue? You HAVE to use your home rink because the "public" sites are booked months or years in advance. Campus sites means CAMPUS sites, not "an arena near our campus." So, for example, the DCU Center is not going to say, "Sorry, we can't book the home show or the camper show because we MIGHT have to host a hockey playoff IF Holy Cross gets home ice "

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            But isn't that the issue? You HAVE to use your home rink because the "public" sites are booked months or years in advance. Campus sites means CAMPUS sites, not "an arena near our campus." So, for example, the DCU Center is not going to say, "Sorry, we can't book the home show or the camper show because we MIGHT have to host a hockey playoff IF Holy Cross gets home ice "
            Humourously Lowell and BU could bid for their home arena's to host, as neither is legally "on campus"
            BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

The NCAA has stated a preference for off-campus, non home rink, sites.

If you bid with your home rink, you're rolling the dice that the local youth commission doesn't bid with the outdoor rink in the park (that has hillside "seating").
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Brad's tweet seems to suggest there might have been some on-campus bids.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                  Humourously Lowell and BU could bid for their home arena's to host, as neither is legally "on campus"
                  Duluth doesn't play on campus, but the DECC is their home rink and home rinks are not preferred.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

This year the hosts would've been Denver, Duluth, Harvard, and Minnesota if the top four hosted.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I understand his issues, I am simply pointing out the obvious answer which might hurt his feelings. Notre Dame got to host at Compton 2 years ago. Nothing is stopping Duluth from bidding for a home regional, I would bet good money (or beer) that they would have received it had they bid. The NCAA must abhor the idea of allowing schools to host in back to back years (3 years now for NoDak), it makes them look bush-league.

To answer your second question, for 2017 I would guess about 150 Lowell fans would go to Denver for a regional because they could make a vacation out of it. And similar numbers plus a student trip with about 80 students at discounted rates for the FF. So about 150-200 at the regional, 300 at the FF
                      I think Sic is right. Notre Dame hosted because no one else bid an off-campus site. Since then I think North Dakota has taken the position they'd just as soon bid Fargo and Sioux Falls rather than bid Grand Forks and run the risk Xcel or some other off campus site bids.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        I think Sic is right. Notre Dame hosted because no one else bid an off-campus site. Since then I think North Dakota has taken the position they'd just as soon bid Fargo and Sioux Falls rather than bid Grand Forks and run the risk Xcel or some other off campus site bids.
                        Yup, Notre Dame hosted at Compton because they were the only bid.

I suspect UND is throwing in a Scheels (Fargo)/Sanford ("Hawks" Falls) bid to ward off having to play a "regional" in the DECC or Baxter or Magness or ...

And it worked.

However, I'd bet UND threw in "2018 in Sanford" ... and "2018 in REA" just in case the NCAA had a fit of sanity.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                          A lot of schools would love to host, but the NCAA won't host at home sites, only near-home sites, and charges outrageous ticket prices on top of that. There's little question to me that places like UMD, Michigan, Wisconsin, et al could be interested if they were allowed to host at home. Alas, they want neutral sites that also sell well.

Eastern people don't see a problem with this because all of the regionals are two hours or less from a dozen schools including almost the entirety of whole conferences. Things work differently out west, a constituency that consists of half the sport and should be respected. They find a neutral site somewhere that's close to nobody, host games there, and charge outrageous prices for inferior products. And I say that as someone who has actually spent significant money to take my family to a regional hours away from home.

The obvious, logical answer is to host the first two rounds at the home sites of the higher seed, as they do in many NCAA sports. Worried about home crowds? No problem, make them earned. Your boys can host a game or two at Tsongas, a surprise high seed out of the WCHA (like Mankato a couple of years ago) gets to expose its fans to real playoff hockey instead of sending them to Indiana, North Dakota can host at the Ralph instead of dummy not-quite-home locations nearby. More fans come, the product is better, everybody is happy.

But as long as the Boston-area folks are happy, you know, the sport must be ok.
                          You had me till your last sentence. I have some delectable cheese to serve you with that whine. Here's another one....build a bridge and get over yourself. The NCAA is trying to do a one-size fits all model for NCAA Championships. With regards to hockey, this serves the East a lot better than the West. It also means that there are more all-purpose arenas (read: neutral sites) in the East. Answer me this (not just you - all readers here) - are your college arenas that are all the perfect size for regionals used for anything other than college sports? For example - Agganis Arena is a popular concert venue here in Boston. Do concerts come to campus because that's where the venues are?

The West is always an issue because everything is so far apart. I don't even see what good putting the games on campus sites is going to do. And if they go back to including campus sites, they will have to be treated as neutral sites, meaning same number of allotted tickets that all the other schools get. And honestly, they shouldn't even get the benefit of staying if they make the tournament. But then, the crying will start all over again I suppose.

Comment

Yup, Notre Dame hosted at Compton because they were the only bid.

I suspect UND is throwing in a Scheels (Fargo)/Sanford ("Hawks" Falls) bid to ward off having to play a "regional" in the DECC or Baxter or Magness or ...

And it worked.

However, I'd bet UND threw in "2018 in Sanford" ... and "2018 in REA" just in case the NCAA had a fit of sanity.
                            I'm going to be shocked if UND doesn't bid to host every single year in either Fargo or Sioux Falls, assuming they can sell out Sioux Falls like they do Fargo. They'd be crazy not to. Not only do they block any possibility of playing in the home rinks of Minnesota or Omaha or Duluth or Wisconsin, they basically block ever having to travel at all beyond the border of the Dakotas, since they are a host school.

I'd keep doing it until the NCAA changes their format. They're either going to have to get rid of the preference for off-campus sites, or get rid of the regional format once and for all. Sooner or later enough eastern schools will have to come out to the Dakotas to play a #3 or #4 seeded North Dakota to get a critical mass to change the system.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I'd keep doing it until the NCAA changes their format. They're either going to have to get rid of the preference for off-campus sites, or get rid of the regional format once and for all. Sooner or later enough eastern schools will have to come out to the Dakotas to play a #3 or #4 seeded North Dakota to get a critical mass to change the system.
                              BU this year...
                              BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

BU this year...
                                Yep.

Sometimes they'll come out and win. Most of the time they won't. It'll just take enough teams, and the right teams, to whine about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X