Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA Hockey Administrators to western fans: Drop Dead

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    ...But Miami is averaging 2,600, how exactly are they going to fill US Bank Arena in Cincinnati when they can't even pack their own 3,200 seat building....
    You're onto something here that extends well beyond Miami. The ubiquity of the various social media platforms, easy access to Netflix and other video streaming portals, the obsession with video games and emergence of e-gaming, not to mention non-cyber competition for the entertainment dollar, are all are shaping cultural trends that bode ill for spectator sports at all levels. While I have more years behind me than I want to admit to, I do try to keep a finger on the pulse of what's "cool" to the younger generation and find that going to sports events is not high on coolness list. With the possible exception of Minnesota high school hockey, what you noted about Miami is, unfortunately, being replicated across many other high school and college campuses and affects more than hockey. People I know who are in the sports marketing business think a day of reckoning is coming.
    Last edited by Split-N; 05-02-2017, 10:32 AM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      You're onto something here that extends well beyond Miami. The ubiquity of the various social media platforms, easy access to Netflix and other video streaming portals, the obsession with video games and emergence of e-gaming, not to mention non-cyber competition for the entertainment dollar, are all are shaping cultural trends that bode ill for spectator sports at all levels. While I have more years behind me than I want to admit to, I do try to keep a finger on the pulse of what's "cool" to the younger generation and find that going to sports events is not high on coolness list. With the possible exception of Minnesota high school hockey, what you noted about Miami is, unfortunately, being replicated across many other high school and college campuses and affects more than hockey. People I know who are in the sports marketing business think a day of reckoning is coming.
      For sure a day of reckoning is approaching from the revenue side. I think a day of reckoning is also approaching from the cost side. The majority of sports at a majority of schools are money losers. Currently, whatever money is lost is made up by increasing tuition and donations (and in the case of public institutions, tax dollars). But colleges can’t keep raising tuition; more and more people are questioning the value of college tuition. Public dollars are drying up also, and from the donation side college administrators are caught between the proverbial rock and hard place. Many people donate to colleges because of the athletic programs and donations would go down if athletic programs were cut back or eliminated, but eventually the day will come when a cost/benefit analysis will show that the marginal benefit of increased donations isn't worth the cost of the program and the marginal decrease in donations if sports are eliminated.

For sure I'm not talking about the Penn States and Harvards of the world. But there are plenty of D1 hockey schools for which this will be a real problem.

Comment

I'd be curious to see which D1 hockey schools have an athletic budget running a deficit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Well, I do want to laugh. And I just did.

I never sit in traffic. Ever.
          mookie's speed limit here is 80 (and mookie speeds )
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            I'd be curious to see which D1 hockey schools have an athletic budget running a deficit.
            Everybody but the B1G, any school with D1A football, and DU/NoDak. Truly.

r
            Last edited by cetihcra; 05-03-2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post

r
              If the former is true the latter is redundant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                If the former is true the latter is redundant.
                I think DU's athletic department runs on a deficit, but I can't confirm it. **** private schools. Hockey takes in about $2.5M, I think their overall budget is about $3.2M. Lacrosse might make a little money.

r

Comment

r
                  The bookkeeping is complicated. In some cases, the profit is overstated. For example, arena upkeep may be charged to a generalized facilities budget and traffic control for game days may be charged to a generalized security budget. It makes some sense, because the facilities are used for non-athletic events and some degree of traffic control is needed for non-athletic events, and from a budgeting standpoint, there may be no need to make an exact apportionment. And in some cases the benefit is understated. For example, the security that's required for athletic events may enable the hiring of more full time security staff, which may be a benefit that extends beyond athletic events. Having a rink can provide recreation for students and staff (I'm assuming that if you rent out the rink, it's relatively easy to bookkeep the rents), and if it's a multi-use building, the rink may be used for non-athletic events. It's much cleaner if the school doesn't have its own rink.

Comment

Here's a link that provides some relevant information on the cost/revenue issue: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...still-minority

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, football icons like Woody Hayes, Bud Wilkinson, and Frank Leahy would point with pride to the various campus buildings that were built with football money. That notion is quaint, to say the least, in today's world. Football at most FBS schools is generating plenty of revenue but, instead of operating profits contributing to the institutional good, everything they make (and more) is going back into the football program in the form of outrageous coaching salaries (the outside linebackers coach at Alabama reportedly makes $950K) and platinum-plated training facilities and athlete dorms that are off limits to the rest of the campus community. And most of these programs end up leeching more money from university general funds in the form of increased tuition and/or student activity fees to offset the deficits they inevitably run.

Bear in mind that TV rights fees are largely what has been funding the P5 football spending orgies. So if the layoffs at ESPN are a harbinger of lower rights fees in the future, I'd be concerned that some P5 schools might be tempted to cut hockey, and other sports, in order to keep feeding the football pariah.
                    Last edited by Split-N; 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      If the layoffs at ESPN are a harbinger of lower rights fees in the future,
                      The layoffs at ESPN are due to the rush of cable TV cancellations in favor of streaming, not so much because of the customers' distaste for ESPN or sports broadcasts in particular.
                      But then again, when cable companies wake up and realize that they need to offer a cheaper product if they have any hope of surviving, those rights fees might have to come way down anyhow.

And besides, the D-I hockey programs at schools with big time football "pariahs" are actually making a profit of their own. They might suck the profits from the hockey programs to feed football, but no need to cut the program.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Go all out, host it in Vegas. Block off the upper decks, could entice UNLV to go DI. Local youth teams are really starting to ramp up now.
                        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

I think DU's athletic department runs on a deficit, but I can't confirm it. **** private schools. Hockey takes in about $2.5M, I think their overall budget is about $3.2M. Lacrosse might make a little money.
                          According to Denver's EADAs from 2010-16 men's hockey has been a revenue neutral sport with revenue equaling expenses. From looking at public schools' NCAA financial reports I would guess that Denver offsets the difference between the hockey generated revenue and the total expenses with direct institutional support, student fees and possibly indirect institutional support.

DU's average hockey expenses for 2010-16 was $2.65 million, with expenses just over $3 million for 2016.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Watching the AFA @ Denver lax game. How come there are ads all around the field, but for ice hockey, the boards are essentially blank
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Watching the AFA @ Denver lax game. How come there are ads all around the field, but for ice hockey, the boards are essentially blank
                              Home game. Much like the first 2 rounds of the D3 hockey tourney, they don't require the scrubbing. Also, go DU!

r

Comment

• Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                                Home game. Much like the first 2 rounds of the D3 hockey tourney, they don't require the scrubbing. Also, go DU!

r
                                1st round of NCAA women is on campus. The boards are scrubbed. But NCAA women's hockey stops at the Minnesota/North Dakota border.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X