The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

I apologize if I missed the emails, but I am still waiting on the following summaries for the May 29, 2017 deadline:

Hockey East (UML Puck Hawk) - Vermont, Massachusetts Lowell, and Northeastern
    WCHA (Shirtless Guy) - Minnesota State

Please send at your earliest convenience. Thanks.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Just a quick update; I am still waiting on the following summaries for the May 29, 2017 deadline:

WCHA (Shirtless Guy) - Minnesota State

Please send at your earliest convenience. Once I receive, I should be able to continue posting the rankings.

Also, please keep in mind the next deadline is Monday, June 12, 2017 for the following summaries:

ECAC (drshoen) - Colgate, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, Union, St. Lawrence, and Yale (RECEIVED - Thank You)
      Hockey East/Notre Dame (UML Puck Hawk) - Notre Dame
      NCHC (Siouxfaninseattle) - Miami
      WCHA (gfmorris/Shirtless Guy) - Ferris State and Northern Michigan
      North Dakota

Comment

Here is an interesting methodology for ranking college teams.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...ey-fans/13283/
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Here is an interesting methodology for ranking college teams.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...ey-fans/13283/
          That's more a ranking of the "hockey cities" than of the teams themselves. The rate at which the teams have won over the last three years played into it, but was only one criteria.

Aside from that, these rankings are potentially a mis-leading read in some cases. Lewiston, Durham, Houghton, and Hamilton ranked in the top for both stadium capacity and fan engagement mostly because of how small those towns/cities are. Conversely, MSG and Staples Center ranked at the bottom of NHL arena capacity despite being relatively large NHL arenas simply because of how large NYC and LA are. Cities like that would need arenas holding 180,000 to 200,000 to rank as high as Buffalo (< 1/10th the population of NYC) according to their criteria.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Thanks to those who have submitted their May 29, 2017 Deadline and June 12, 2017 Deadline summaries. I am still waiting on the following:

May 29, 2017 Deadline

June 12, 2017 Deadline

Once I receive these summaries I can continue with the countdown, so please send at your earliest convenience. Thanks.
            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              Thanks to those who have submitted their May 29, 2017 Deadline and June 12, 2017 Deadline summaries. I am still waiting on the following:

May 29, 2017 Deadline

June 12, 2017 Deadline

Once I receive these summaries I can continue with the countdown, so please send at your earliest convenience. Thanks.
              Last call on UML Puck Hawk for the Hockey East May 29, 2017 (Vermont, Massachusetts Lowell, and Northeastern) and June 12, 2017 (Notre Dame) deadline summaries, and for Shirtless Guy for the WCHA June 12, 2017 (Northern Michigan) deadline summary.

Also, I am still waiting on the following June 26, 2017 Deadline summaries:

Hockey East (UML Puck Hawk) - Providence and New Hampshire
              WCHA (Shirtless Guy) - LSSU

Once I receive these summaries, I can continue with the countdown, so please send at your earliest convenience. Thanks.
              North Dakota

Comment

A big thanks to UML Puck Hawk for sending in your remaining summaries. At this point, I'm just waiting on Shirtless Guy (Northern Michigan and LSSU) and we should be up to date on the summaries. I'll be posting more of the list starting on Wednesday.
                North Dakota

Comment

A big thanks to UML Puck Hawk for sending in your remaining summaries. At this point, I'm just waiting on Shirtless Guy (Northern Michigan and LSSU) and we should be up to date on the summaries. I'll be posting more of the list starting on Wednesday.
                  Oops, I'll try to get on that
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

#47 – Holy Cross Crusaders
                    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.1484 (Rank: 30)
                    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.0256 (Rank: 56)
                    Last Season Ranking: #47

Like Mercyhurst, Holy Cross also dropped a bit from their above 0.500 record the previous season (14-15-7 vs 18-13-5). On the last weekend of the regular season, the Crusaders won a first round bye in the AHC playoffs, but then lost two games to Robert Morris in the next round. Holy Cross won three of their six OOC games, including wins over Providence and Union (40th in PWR). The Crusaders are only losing one senior who played more than three games this past season, although that forward Mike Barrett was their second leading scorer with 27 points. Junior goalie Paul Berrafato played in all 36 games and 2101 minutes in net in 2016-2017, so he should be looking to return the Crusaders to a winning record in 2017-2018. – Snively65
                    North Dakota

Comment

#46 – Merrimack Warriors
                      Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.1954 (Rank: 29)
                      Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 1.375 (Rank: 42)
                      Last Season Ranking: #46

This season proved to be a solid, if not particularly noteworthy season for the Warriors. Inconsistency marked the team, taking seven of eight points from BC and BU, but losing to Sacred Heart and UMass. The win at BC is noteworthy since it was their first win at Conte since Halloween 1997!!! A late season surge by Merrimack in conference play due primarily to excellent goaltending by Collin Delia gave the Warriors a home ice slot in the Hockey East participation round. In that first round though Delia’s luck ran out, as UNH was able to put nine pucks in the back of the net over the last 2 games of the series to end Merrimack’s season. Merrimack returns most of their roster for next season, led by Delia and forward Brett Seney, who has led the team in scoring all three of his years with the program, and the Warriors are expected to be competing for home ice in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs again. If Delia can get hot in March this team could make a run at the Garden next year. – UML Puck Hawk
                      North Dakota

Comment

FS - I believe your rankings are based upon total points earned? Curious how the rankings might shuffle if based upon ave pts earned/season.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          FS - I believe your rankings are based upon total points earned? Curious how the rankings might shuffle if based upon ave pts earned/season.
                          You are correct, these rankings are based upon total points earned. I have a separate ranking that I keep that is based upon points earned/game played (which is probably slightly more accurate than season played, given that games played/season vary widely throughout college hockey's history). The rankings shuffle quite a bit for some teams. For example, Penn State (#51 here) is ranked #36, and Quinnipiac makes a similar jump. That being said, there isn't all that much change (read: moving up or down 1-2 spots if at all) for most of the Top 15-20 teams. When this list is over, remind me, and I will post the rankings based on points/game.
                          North Dakota

Comment

You are correct, these rankings are based upon total points earned. I have a separate ranking that I keep that is based upon points earned/game played (which is probably slightly more accurate than season played, given that games played/season vary widely throughout college hockey's history). The rankings shuffle quite a bit for some teams. For example, Penn State (#51 here) is ranked #36, and Quinnipiac makes a similar jump. That being said, there isn't all that much change (read: moving up or down 1-2 spots if at all) for most of the Top 15-20 teams. When this list is over, remind me, and I will post the rankings based on points/game.
                            So you essentially have a matrix of who's played whom since the beginning of your rankings?

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              So you essentially have a matrix of who's played whom since the beginning of your rankings?

GFM
                              Essentially, yes. However, this is probably a good place to restate that I only include D1 results in the rankings. So, for programs like UAH with a D2 history littered with hardware, they get shortchanged a bit in these rankings.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Essentially, yes. However, this is probably a good place to restate that I only include D1 results in the rankings. So, for programs like UAH with a D2 history littered with hardware, they get shortchanged a bit in these rankings.
                                That's fine and fair. With something like this, you could put together an Elo-style rating system for all of college hockey.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X