Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

#60 – Arizona State Sun Devils
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.0109 (Rank: 41)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.0223 (Rank: 57)
    Last Season Ranking: #60

The Sun Devils struggled at times in their second campaign at the Division 1 level, but did manage to post several significant results. ASU played three of the four Frozen Four squads, and four other NCAA Tournament teams in 2016-2017, and knocked off Air Force 5-2 in October, tied Ohio State in January, and tied Western Michigan in February. Arizona State also split with former champion Rensselaer and played competitive tilts against Michigan and Boston College. The Sun Devils lose their top two scorers and top netminder, but return eight skaters who tallied 10 or more points. Rumors are also circulating that ASU may join the WCHA and start play as early as 2018-2019. Getting into an established conference will be critical for Arizona State to maintain a competitive program and potentially rise in these rankings. – Fighting Sioux 23
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

#59 – Bentley Falcons
      Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.0001 (Rank: 45)
      Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.0327 (Rank: 55)
      Last Season Ranking: #59

Bentley finished 2016-2017 at 13-19-7 for their second losing season in a row (41st in PWR). Like the previous season, Bentley won two of three against Sacred Heart at home in the first round of the AHC playoffs, but failed again to reach the AHC tourney, this time with two losses at Air Force in the second round. The Falcons need to make more noise in the post-season if they hope to move up in these rankings. The big news for Bentley is that a new arena (capacity around 2000) is expected to open on campus for the second part of the coming season. The Falcons only lose one of their top 10 scorers to graduation, albeit that scorer is forward Max French, whose 39 points again led the team. Bentley has a couple of solid D pairs and both goalies returning, including Aidan Pelino, who recorded a 0.930 SV% and 2.41 GAA in 820 minutes during his inaugural season. – Snively65
      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        #59 – Bentley Falcons
        Well, I guess being in the black is better than being in the red. But that's close!
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          Well, I guess being in the black is better than being in the red. But that's close!
          And that's 45th? Wow, that many teams were at zero or below - that's a surprise.
          Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
          Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
            And that's 45th? Wow, that many teams were at zero or below - that's a surprise.
            Yeah, that's slightly more than normal, but last year there were 17 programs that lost points. On average, about 12 programs lose points in any given season.
            North Dakota

Comment

#58 – American International College Yellow Jackets
              Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.0014 (Rank: 44)
              Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.062 (Rank: 54)
              Last Season Ranking: #58

American International College abandoned their old home Olympia Ice Center (capacity 1200) for the Mass Mutual Center (capacity 6866) in downtown Springfield, hired a new coach in Eric Lang (AIC, ’98), and played 10 freshmen on a regular basis during this past season. Although the Yellow Jackets only added one more win over the previous season (8-20-8 vs 7-29-3), they reduced their losses by nine (54th in PWR). The future looks bright for the Yellow Jackets, who are losing only one forward (captain Andrew Orszulak) and two D-men to graduation, but they will need to play deeper in the post-season if they are to move up in these rankings. – Snively65
              North Dakota

Comment

#57 – Sacred Heart Pioneers
                Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.0051 (Rank: 42)
                Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.0149 (Rank: 58)
                Last Season Ranking: #57

Sacred Heart is now playing all of their home games at the Webster Bank Arena (capacity 8525) in Bridgeport. The Pioneers finished the season with an almost identical record to their previous season (13-19-5 vs 13-20-4), and once again lost two of three at Bentley in the first round of the AHC playoffs. However, Sacred Heart was 2-2-2 in OOC games, with wins at Merrimack and Connecticut and ties at Union and UNH for a 42nd in PWR. Like AIC and Bentley, Sacred Heart needs to play deeper into the post-season to move up in these rankings, but that will be difficult for the Pioneers this coming year, as they are losing four of their top five scorers and 10 seniors overall to graduation, although both their goalies are returning. – Snively65
                North Dakota

Comment

#59 – Bentley Falcons
                  Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.0327 (Rank: 55)
                  Last Season Ranking: #59

Bentley finished 2016-2017 at 13-19-7 for their second losing season in a row (41st in PWR). Like the previous season, Bentley won two of three against Sacred Heart at home in the first round of the AHC playoffs, but failed again to reach the AHC tourney, this time with two losses at Air Force in the second round. The Falcons need to make more noise in the post-season if they hope to move up in these rankings. The big news for Bentley is that a new arena (capacity around 2000) is expected to open on campus for the second part of the coming season. The Falcons only lose one of their top 10 scorers to graduation, albeit that scorer is forward Max French, whose 39 points again led the team. Bentley has a couple of solid D pairs and both goalies returning, including Aidan Pelino, who recorded a 0.930 SV% and 2.41 GAA in 820 minutes during his inaugural season. – Snively65
                  We're not last! We're not last!

Comment

New book by David Ortiz makes derogatory references to Sacred Heart's AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      New book by David Ortiz makes derogatory references to Sacred Heart's AD.
                      yeah, I'll say. Valentine shot back FWIW saying words to the effect that "he never said any of that while he was hugging me all the time"

Comment

Thanks to SFIS, UML Puck Hawk, and Shirtless Guy for submitting their May 15, 2017 summaries. I have spoken with Snively65 already about the Atlantic Hockey summaries, but I have not received or heard from drshoen (Princeton's summary) or gfmorris (Alaska's summary). Please submit your summaries as soon as possible. Thanks, and #56 should be posted today.

Also, please remember the next deadline is:

May 29, 2017:
                        Atlantic Hockey (Snively65) - RIT
                        Big Ten (SFIS) - Ohio State
                        ECAC (drshoen) - Brown
                        Hockey East (UML Puck Hawk) - Vermont, Massachusetts Lowell, and Northeastern
                        NCHC (SFIS)- Nebraska Omaha and St. Cloud State
                        WCHA (gfmorris/Shirtless Guy) - Minnesota State and Bemidji State

Please submit your summaries on time to ensue the smooth reveal.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Thanks to SFIS, UML Puck Hawk, and Shirtless Guy for submitting their May 15, 2017 summaries. I have spoken with Snively65 already about the Atlantic Hockey summaries, but I have not received or heard from drshoen (Princeton's summary) or gfmorris (Alaska's summary). Please submit your summaries as soon as possible. Thanks, and #56 should be posted today.

May 29, 2017:
                          ECAC (drshoen) - Brown

You'll have it today! Sorry
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

May 29, 2017:
                            ECAC (drshoen) - Brown

That's strange, I sent Princeton and Brown via email (through the USCHO link in your profile) a while ago. Not sure why they didn't go through. Can you email me (drshoen@aol.com) and I'll reply?
                            Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                            Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                              That's strange, I sent Princeton and Brown via email (through the USCHO link in your profile) a while ago. Not sure why they didn't go through. Can you email me (drshoen@aol.com) and I'll reply?
                              Sometimes USCHO messages go to my junk mail folder, so that may have been what happened. I just sent you an email, and thanks for your quick response.
                              North Dakota

Comment

#56 – Connecticut Huskies
                                Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.0233 (Rank: 39)
                                Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.2215 (Rank: 53)
                                Last Season Ranking: #55

UConn entered the 2016-17 looking to take a step forward. Returning Sophomores Tage Thompson an Max Letunov led the team in scoring as freshman and offered hope that increased scoring and steady goaltending from Rob Nichols. Wins over three of the top four teams in Hockey East including a three point weekend against Lowell highlighted the season, but a disappointing showing out of conference including a loss on the road to AIC proved to be too much to overcome. Letunov and Thompson both regressed a bit on the offensive front and Thompson will seek greener pastures likely splitting time between the NHL and AHL come next season. UConn returns promising Freshman goalie Adam Huska, who along with Letunov will hope to make UConn into a contender for home ice in the first round. – UML Puck Hawk
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X