Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future D-III Championship sites

Originally posted by altazo View Post
    No, no. Just clarifying because you chose to take a personal dig at me and where I live, PSUInternetworldchamp.
    No No far from. If I make a personal dig, you will know it. I was simply stating that living in Colorado (is that better?) you're far from the DIII landscape, so making a last minute (literal) decision to attend a final four is most likely not as big of a deal than say someone who lives 30 - 45 minutes from the site. And if there is/isn't tickets available isn't a big deal since going isn't like going to the local pub for a drink. Mind you, living that far away, making plans to attend a Final Four takes a little more planning so purchasing a ticket in advance (or having the opportunity to) makes it easier. If SNC was playing at Hobart for the National Championship game, good luck. Nor will some of the family members of SNC be able to do so.

And you can spare me the "I was a player, you're a fan, you know nothing" speech...because if players knew all you would think you would know how ticketing goes. I could really care less who you are. And playing in front of 700 fans in a 500 seat arena doesn't mean it's a better atmosphere. It doesn't mean it isn't either. I've been to the Aud and seen nearly 4,000 fans talking about everything but hockey. I've been to Romney where it was just under 1500 and it was crazy. I've been to the Duke where you had beer bottles tossed at you, and then you went to Chip and it was dead. I've been in 500 seat packed arenas and it's just blah. Hostile environments are great, for sure. But making it sound like you're playing 90% of your games in full barns all season, so playing the Championship game in a 1/2 empty barn (due more to the teams involved) is against the norm is ridiculous.
    Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM.
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Women, unfortunately, don't draw.

I'd love for Clarkson & Potsdam do a joint bid to host the men's final four. Clarkson has tbe barn and has hosted conference championships and volleyball regionals. Potsdam is the D3 hockey school.

Cherl holds around 3K - more with standing roon.
      I assume you mean Cheel unless they built another rink since I've left. It wouldn't be a bad idea. They've built a couple more hotels in the area, or even go back into Malone if need be. I mean heck, even Potsdam has a Walmart now I think 3k is the perfect size (IMO), but as I've said having a few "extra" seats for those who want to attend, can, is better than shutting out family members. It will be interesting to see what (if) rules the NCAA puts out for hosting and then how many programs magically come up with more seats at their rink #fakenews.

I still think Lake Placid will be the "meca" but shouldn't be limited to. There are enough other places (smaller, easier to get to, more things to do ect) out there and should be considered. I consider Lewiston and Utica a trial-and-error. Like I said, if it's not Trinity but say Oswego, Utica, or Plattsburgh this isn't even a topic. Heck Plattsburgh had more fans in Hartford than Trinity did. Imagine if Hamilton had beaten Norwich?
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
        Yes, I did. During the DI National Championship game on ESPN, Barry Melrose congratulated Norwich University on winning the D3 Men's National Championship (and 4th place in the women's tournament). He then went on to something like "Norwich is a good program. I've kinda adopted them, and they've adopted me." Which I found very comical.
        The comment stems from the fact he comes to the Allen Doyle Golf Tournament every year now.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          No No far from. If I make a personal dig, you will know it. I was simply stating that living in Colorado (is that better?) you're far from the DIII landscape, so making a last minute (literal) decision to attend a final four is most likely not as big of a deal than say someone who lives 30 - 45 minutes from the site. And if there is/isn't tickets available isn't a big deal since going isn't like going to the local pub for a drink. Mind you, living that far away, making plans to attend a Final Four takes a little more planning so purchasing a ticket in advance (or having the opportunity to) makes it easier. If SNC was playing at Hobart for the National Championship game, good luck. Nor will some of the family members of SNC be able to do so.

And you can spare me the "I was a player, you're a fan, you know nothing" speech...because if players knew all you would think you would know how ticketing goes. I could really care less who you are. And playing in front of 700 fans in a 500 seat arena doesn't mean it's a better atmosphere. It doesn't mean it isn't either. I've been to the Aud and seen nearly 4,000 fans talking about everything but hockey. I've been to Romney where it was just under 1500 and it was crazy. I've been to the Duke where you had beer bottles tossed at you, and then you went to Chip and it was dead. I've been in 500 seat packed arenas and it's just blah. Hostile environments are great, for sure. But making it sound like you're playing 90% of your games in full barns all season, so playing the Championship game in a 1/2 empty barn (due more to the teams involved) is against the norm is ridiculous.
          I'm sorry. I must have misread, I thought you referred to where I live as "bumble F••k Egypt," no?

If SNC was playing in the championship game at Hobart I would assume that I could not get a ticket. That experience would be primarily about the current group of student-athletes, not some old fart like me. But if that ever does happen, maybe I'll hit you up to stand in the ticket line for me at 3 a.m. Deal?

And I don't live in Colorado either, but yeah, it's way nicer than NY State...
          Last edited by altazo; 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

And you can spare me the "I was a player, you're a fan, you know nothing" speech"...
            You've already heard that one a bunch, eh?

I'll bet...

Comment

I'm sorry. I must have misread, I thought you referred to where I live as "bumble F••k Egypt," no?

If SNC was playing in the championship game at Hobart I would assume that I could not get a ticket. That experience would be primarily about the current group of student-athletes, not some old fart like me. But if that ever does happen, maybe I'll hit you up to stand in the ticket line for me at 3 a.m. Deal?

It's okay Mr.B....I wouldn't want you to lower yourself down to the level of us fans......happy retirement...

And with regards to BF Egypt....when compared to the DIII hockey landscape, it is. Nothing to do with the countryside, relax.
              Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 04-21-2017, 02:02 PM.
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Women, unfortunately, don't draw.

I'd love for Clarkson & Potsdam do a joint bid to host the men's final four. Clarkson has tbe barn and has hosted conference championships and volleyball regionals. Potsdam is the D3 hockey school.

Cherl holds around 3K - more with standing roon.
                Or maybe Appleton..but as with Clarkson, lodging etc, could be problematic.....
                Go 'Wick!

Comment

Have ya ever been to NY state??

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    Have ya ever been to NY state??
                    Sure, several times. I've been to Ellicottville, Hamilton County, Ontario county, Lake Placid and the Catskills for work fairly recently (within the last 10 years,). But, to be fair I have never been to NYC.

I'll bow out now. Me and PSUInternetworldchamp fundamentally disagree on who this championship is supposed to be about.
                    Last edited by altazo; 04-21-2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Being 50-75 minutes from Plattsburgh -in a National sense- is kinda like saying "an easy day's drive from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan". LP is fairly remote from anything.

I suspect that more-or-less the same number of hardcore fans will attend the D-3 FF no matter where it's played in the East. This year's teams just represented small fan-bases. Utica would have drawn better had there been an Oswego, a Platty, or a fairly local team there.

Placid is probably as good a choice as any, though, all things considered. Some people might go just on the basis of name-recognition alone.
                      More people would have shown up from the Utica market regardless if all-session passes weren't 40 bucks, too. I heard more than one person tell me it was too much. In a lot of markets, you can scoop NHL tix for less. Just doesn't work on the NCAA scale when it's running you at least 80 Also I have loved my trips to Placid. That in itself is an experience.... and i'm also real excited about Buffalo after getting a chance to take in a game there in November. Like the hotel options, dining options.... that is a great spot for the fans and the players can get behind it too, I think. I was a bit salty about state HS hockey going there, but that's a different ball of wax. The facility will do wonderfully for a collegiate event.

As for the Campus Sites.... just talking to people who have hosted before in many years gone past... I have been told it is a real difficult time to throw this together in a week. Hotels may be impossible in some locales... plus you have to book a week ahead of time because you have no clue where it's going, which makes it a real pain in the neck. Why leave it to chance? Why? So ONE team gets to benefit? Wonderful. A predetermined site gives the host time to meet or raise the bar, the expectation. The experience will improve for one team out of four. ONE team, if you go to campus sites, that's the only group who benefits. Everyone else gets a headache.

I've also heard from more than one decent size venue out west that they will not host even if their team is in. The options for this, to be done right, are absurdly limited as far as locales and facilities go. An Oswego? a Plattsburgh? a Utica? a Norwich? a Superior? an Elmira? Yeah. Some of the SUNYAC types with the wooden bleachers could pull it off.... but I don't think most of the MIAC schools could do it. The NCHA has a few sites, if they're willing to do it.... But the majority of Division III rinks aren't suitable to host an NCAA championship, folks. Put that money in the bank now.

It will likely fail. I hope i'm wrong for the good of this game, but I think campus sites are going to set us back a decade.... in more ways than the obvious.
                      Our bite is worse than our bark....
                      Top guys, out.

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post
                        More people would have shown up from the Utica market regardless if all-session passes weren't 40 bucks, too. I heard more than one person tell me it was too much. In a lot of markets, you can scoop NHL tix for less. Just doesn't work on the NCAA scale when it's running you at least 80 Also I have loved my trips to Placid. That in itself is an experience.... and i'm also real excited about Buffalo after getting a chance to take in a game there in November. Like the hotel options, dining options.... that is a great spot for the fans and the players can get behind it too, I think. I was a bit salty about state HS hockey going there, but that's a different ball of wax. The facility will do wonderfully for a collegiate event.

As for the Campus Sites.... just talking to people who have hosted before in many years gone past... I have been told it is a real difficult time to throw this together in a week. Hotels may be impossible in some locales... plus you have to book a week ahead of time because you have no clue where it's going, which makes it a real pain in the neck. Why leave it to chance? Why? So ONE team gets to benefit? Wonderful. A predetermined site gives the host time to meet or raise the bar, the expectation. The experience will improve for one team out of four. ONE team, if you go to campus sites, that's the only group who benefits. Everyone else gets a headache.

I've also heard from more than one decent size venue out west that they will not host even if their team is in. The options for this, to be done right, are absurdly limited as far as locales and facilities go. An Oswego? a Plattsburgh? a Utica? a Norwich? a Superior? an Elmira? Yeah. Some of the SUNYAC types with the wooden bleachers could pull it off.... but I don't think most of the MIAC schools could do it. The NCHA has a few sites, if they're willing to do it.... But the majority of Division III rinks aren't suitable to host an NCAA championship, folks. Put that money in the bank now.

It will likely fail. I hope i'm wrong for the good of this game, but I think campus sites are going to set us back a decade.... in more ways than the obvious.
                        You're just a fan, what do you know? (tic)

Spot on....
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

You're just a fan, what do you know? (tic)

Spot on....
                          Actually, he just got a fancy new title that makes him a bit more than just a fan
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                            Actually, he just got a fancy new title that makes him a bit more than just a fan
                            Hey if Dunning can do it.... jk couldn't really get a more dedicated guy IMO. It will suck not having them at the Cooler this year, but I have a feeling they are in good hands.
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                              Or maybe Appleton..but as with Clarkson, lodging etc, could be problematic.....
                              If CCT can host 7 teams for a volleyball regional, or 3 teams for the ECAC women's championship, plus 2 men's teams in the area for an ECAC 1st round, there has to be enough rooms.

Canton has the University Inn and a Comfort Inn. Potsdam has the Hampton Inn and Clarkson Inn. That should hold 4 teams plus the NCAA staff with some room left over for USCHO and D3Hockey.

Fans will have to make do with the motels and B&Bs. Maybe stay in Massena or Ogdensburg.

It's doable. More doable than Northfield, IMHO.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Hey if Dunning can do it.... jk couldn't really get a more dedicated guy IMO. It will suck not having them at the Cooler this year, but I have a feeling they are in good hands.
                                But the Cooler gets the Prezde!!
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X