Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 91

Thread: Future D-III Championship sites

  1. #61
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,465

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by altazo View Post
    No, no. Just clarifying because you chose to take a personal dig at me and where I live, PSUInternetworldchamp.
    No No far from. If I make a personal dig, you will know it. I was simply stating that living in Colorado (is that better?) you're far from the DIII landscape, so making a last minute (literal) decision to attend a final four is most likely not as big of a deal than say someone who lives 30 - 45 minutes from the site. And if there is/isn't tickets available isn't a big deal since going isn't like going to the local pub for a drink. Mind you, living that far away, making plans to attend a Final Four takes a little more planning so purchasing a ticket in advance (or having the opportunity to) makes it easier. If SNC was playing at Hobart for the National Championship game, good luck. Nor will some of the family members of SNC be able to do so.

    And you can spare me the "I was a player, you're a fan, you know nothing" speech...because if players knew all you would think you would know how ticketing goes. I could really care less who you are. And playing in front of 700 fans in a 500 seat arena doesn't mean it's a better atmosphere. It doesn't mean it isn't either. I've been to the Aud and seen nearly 4,000 fans talking about everything but hockey. I've been to Romney where it was just under 1500 and it was crazy. I've been to the Duke where you had beer bottles tossed at you, and then you went to Chip and it was dead. I've been in 500 seat packed arenas and it's just blah. Hostile environments are great, for sure. But making it sound like you're playing 90% of your games in full barns all season, so playing the Championship game in a 1/2 empty barn (due more to the teams involved) is against the norm is ridiculous.
    Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 04-21-2017 at 11:52 AM.

  2. #62
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,465

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Women, unfortunately, don't draw.

    I'd love for Clarkson & Potsdam do a joint bid to host the men's final four. Clarkson has tbe barn and has hosted conference championships and volleyball regionals. Potsdam is the D3 hockey school.

    Cherl holds around 3K - more with standing roon.
    I assume you mean Cheel unless they built another rink since I've left. It wouldn't be a bad idea. They've built a couple more hotels in the area, or even go back into Malone if need be. I mean heck, even Potsdam has a Walmart now I think 3k is the perfect size (IMO), but as I've said having a few "extra" seats for those who want to attend, can, is better than shutting out family members. It will be interesting to see what (if) rules the NCAA puts out for hosting and then how many programs magically come up with more seats at their rink #fakenews.

    I still think Lake Placid will be the "meca" but shouldn't be limited to. There are enough other places (smaller, easier to get to, more things to do ect) out there and should be considered. I consider Lewiston and Utica a trial-and-error. Like I said, if it's not Trinity but say Oswego, Utica, or Plattsburgh this isn't even a topic. Heck Plattsburgh had more fans in Hartford than Trinity did. Imagine if Hamilton had beaten Norwich?

  3. #63
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    15,733

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Yes, I did. During the DI National Championship game on ESPN, Barry Melrose congratulated Norwich University on winning the D3 Men's National Championship (and 4th place in the women's tournament). He then went on to something like "Norwich is a good program. I've kinda adopted them, and they've adopted me." Which I found very comical.
    The comment stems from the fact he comes to the Allen Doyle Golf Tournament every year now.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  4. #64
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    No No far from. If I make a personal dig, you will know it. I was simply stating that living in Colorado (is that better?) you're far from the DIII landscape, so making a last minute (literal) decision to attend a final four is most likely not as big of a deal than say someone who lives 30 - 45 minutes from the site. And if there is/isn't tickets available isn't a big deal since going isn't like going to the local pub for a drink. Mind you, living that far away, making plans to attend a Final Four takes a little more planning so purchasing a ticket in advance (or having the opportunity to) makes it easier. If SNC was playing at Hobart for the National Championship game, good luck. Nor will some of the family members of SNC be able to do so.

    And you can spare me the "I was a player, you're a fan, you know nothing" speech...because if players knew all you would think you would know how ticketing goes. I could really care less who you are. And playing in front of 700 fans in a 500 seat arena doesn't mean it's a better atmosphere. It doesn't mean it isn't either. I've been to the Aud and seen nearly 4,000 fans talking about everything but hockey. I've been to Romney where it was just under 1500 and it was crazy. I've been to the Duke where you had beer bottles tossed at you, and then you went to Chip and it was dead. I've been in 500 seat packed arenas and it's just blah. Hostile environments are great, for sure. But making it sound like you're playing 90% of your games in full barns all season, so playing the Championship game in a 1/2 empty barn (due more to the teams involved) is against the norm is ridiculous.
    I'm sorry. I must have misread, I thought you referred to where I live as "bumble Fk Egypt," no?

    If SNC was playing in the championship game at Hobart I would assume that I could not get a ticket. That experience would be primarily about the current group of student-athletes, not some old fart like me. But if that ever does happen, maybe I'll hit you up to stand in the ticket line for me at 3 a.m. Deal?

    And I don't live in Colorado either, but yeah, it's way nicer than NY State...
    Last edited by altazo; 04-21-2017 at 01:13 PM.

  5. #65
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post

    And you can spare me the "I was a player, you're a fan, you know nothing" speech"...
    You've already heard that one a bunch, eh?

    I'll bet...

  6. #66
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,465

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by altazo View Post
    I'm sorry. I must have misread, I thought you referred to where I live as "bumble F••k Egypt," no?

    If SNC was playing in the championship game at Hobart I would assume that I could not get a ticket. That experience would be primarily about the current group of student-athletes, not some old fart like me. But if that ever does happen, maybe I'll hit you up to stand in the ticket line for me at 3 a.m. Deal?

    And I don't live in Colorado either, but yeah, it's way nicer than NY State...
    It's okay Mr.B....I wouldn't want you to lower yourself down to the level of us fans......happy retirement...

    And with regards to BF Egypt....when compared to the DIII hockey landscape, it is. Nothing to do with the countryside, relax.
    Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 04-21-2017 at 02:02 PM.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Women, unfortunately, don't draw.

    I'd love for Clarkson & Potsdam do a joint bid to host the men's final four. Clarkson has tbe barn and has hosted conference championships and volleyball regionals. Potsdam is the D3 hockey school.

    Cherl holds around 3K - more with standing roon.
    Or maybe Appleton..but as with Clarkson, lodging etc, could be problematic.....

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by altazo View Post
    I'm sorry. I must have misread, I thought you referred to where I live as "bumble F••k Egypt," no?

    If SNC was playing in the championship game at Hobart I would assume that I could not get a ticket. That experience would be primarily about the current group of student-athletes, not some old fart like me. But if that ever does happen, maybe I'll hit you up to stand in the ticket line for me at 3 a.m. Deal?

    And I don't live in Colorado either, but yeah, it's way nicer than NY State...
    Have ya ever been to NY state??

  9. #69
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    Have ya ever been to NY state??
    Sure, several times. I've been to Ellicottville, Hamilton County, Ontario county, Lake Placid and the Catskills for work fairly recently (within the last 10 years,). But, to be fair I have never been to NYC.

    I'll bow out now. Me and PSUInternetworldchamp fundamentally disagree on who this championship is supposed to be about.
    Last edited by altazo; 04-21-2017 at 03:03 PM.

  10. #70
    THE CLEANER
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    447

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Being 50-75 minutes from Plattsburgh -in a National sense- is kinda like saying "an easy day's drive from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan". LP is fairly remote from anything.

    I suspect that more-or-less the same number of hardcore fans will attend the D-3 FF no matter where it's played in the East. This year's teams just represented small fan-bases. Utica would have drawn better had there been an Oswego, a Platty, or a fairly local team there.

    Placid is probably as good a choice as any, though, all things considered. Some people might go just on the basis of name-recognition alone.
    More people would have shown up from the Utica market regardless if all-session passes weren't 40 bucks, too. I heard more than one person tell me it was too much. In a lot of markets, you can scoop NHL tix for less. Just doesn't work on the NCAA scale when it's running you at least 80 Also I have loved my trips to Placid. That in itself is an experience.... and i'm also real excited about Buffalo after getting a chance to take in a game there in November. Like the hotel options, dining options.... that is a great spot for the fans and the players can get behind it too, I think. I was a bit salty about state HS hockey going there, but that's a different ball of wax. The facility will do wonderfully for a collegiate event.





    As for the Campus Sites.... just talking to people who have hosted before in many years gone past... I have been told it is a real difficult time to throw this together in a week. Hotels may be impossible in some locales... plus you have to book a week ahead of time because you have no clue where it's going, which makes it a real pain in the neck. Why leave it to chance? Why? So ONE team gets to benefit? Wonderful. A predetermined site gives the host time to meet or raise the bar, the expectation. The experience will improve for one team out of four. ONE team, if you go to campus sites, that's the only group who benefits. Everyone else gets a headache.

    I've also heard from more than one decent size venue out west that they will not host even if their team is in. The options for this, to be done right, are absurdly limited as far as locales and facilities go. An Oswego? a Plattsburgh? a Utica? a Norwich? a Superior? an Elmira? Yeah. Some of the SUNYAC types with the wooden bleachers could pull it off.... but I don't think most of the MIAC schools could do it. The NCHA has a few sites, if they're willing to do it.... But the majority of Division III rinks aren't suitable to host an NCAA championship, folks. Put that money in the bank now.

    It will likely fail. I hope i'm wrong for the good of this game, but I think campus sites are going to set us back a decade.... in more ways than the obvious.
    Our bite is worse than our bark....
    Top guys, out.

  11. #71
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,465
    Quote Originally Posted by vcxc3200 View Post
    More people would have shown up from the Utica market regardless if all-session passes weren't 40 bucks, too. I heard more than one person tell me it was too much. In a lot of markets, you can scoop NHL tix for less. Just doesn't work on the NCAA scale when it's running you at least 80 Also I have loved my trips to Placid. That in itself is an experience.... and i'm also real excited about Buffalo after getting a chance to take in a game there in November. Like the hotel options, dining options.... that is a great spot for the fans and the players can get behind it too, I think. I was a bit salty about state HS hockey going there, but that's a different ball of wax. The facility will do wonderfully for a collegiate event.





    As for the Campus Sites.... just talking to people who have hosted before in many years gone past... I have been told it is a real difficult time to throw this together in a week. Hotels may be impossible in some locales... plus you have to book a week ahead of time because you have no clue where it's going, which makes it a real pain in the neck. Why leave it to chance? Why? So ONE team gets to benefit? Wonderful. A predetermined site gives the host time to meet or raise the bar, the expectation. The experience will improve for one team out of four. ONE team, if you go to campus sites, that's the only group who benefits. Everyone else gets a headache.

    I've also heard from more than one decent size venue out west that they will not host even if their team is in. The options for this, to be done right, are absurdly limited as far as locales and facilities go. An Oswego? a Plattsburgh? a Utica? a Norwich? a Superior? an Elmira? Yeah. Some of the SUNYAC types with the wooden bleachers could pull it off.... but I don't think most of the MIAC schools could do it. The NCHA has a few sites, if they're willing to do it.... But the majority of Division III rinks aren't suitable to host an NCAA championship, folks. Put that money in the bank now.

    It will likely fail. I hope i'm wrong for the good of this game, but I think campus sites are going to set us back a decade.... in more ways than the obvious.
    You're just a fan, what do you know? (tic)

    Spot on....

  12. #72
    Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    You're just a fan, what do you know? (tic)

    Spot on....
    Actually, he just got a fancy new title that makes him a bit more than just a fan

  13. #73
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,465
    Quote Originally Posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Actually, he just got a fancy new title that makes him a bit more than just a fan
    Hey if Dunning can do it.... jk couldn't really get a more dedicated guy IMO. It will suck not having them at the Cooler this year, but I have a feeling they are in good hands.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,065
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    Or maybe Appleton..but as with Clarkson, lodging etc, could be problematic.....
    If CCT can host 7 teams for a volleyball regional, or 3 teams for the ECAC women's championship, plus 2 men's teams in the area for an ECAC 1st round, there has to be enough rooms.

    Canton has the University Inn and a Comfort Inn. Potsdam has the Hampton Inn and Clarkson Inn. That should hold 4 teams plus the NCAA staff with some room left over for USCHO and D3Hockey.

    Fans will have to make do with the motels and B&Bs. Maybe stay in Massena or Ogdensburg.

    It's doable. More doable than Northfield, IMHO.

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,065
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Hey if Dunning can do it.... jk couldn't really get a more dedicated guy IMO. It will suck not having them at the Cooler this year, but I have a feeling they are in good hands.
    But the Cooler gets the Prezde!!

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    43

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Its a shame that the Glens Falls civic center does not have the locker room space. It can hold 5000 people and is less than an hour major airport. Plenty of hotel rooms and restaurants in Glens falls. I am sure that they could work their way around the ECHL Adirondack Thunders schedule if they ever upgraded the locker room situation.
    The new video board and scoreboards at the Herb Brooks in Lake Placid are really nice and will surely add to the fan experience. I was at the ecac final four and new scoreboards and video screens were a big hit with the fans. Placid has lots of overpriced hotels and restaurant and limited parking. The olympic center needs to upgrade and add bathroom facilities. It doesn't matter what arena is chosen they all have advantages and disadvantages.

  17. #77
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,230

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    The first lesson of Business School is that limited supply = greater demand.
    Well, there is very little "demand" to exploit vis-a-vis D-3 hockey... Why not look to maintain accessibility instead, for the 2-3K peeps who will actually be interested enough to buy tickets? There's no money to be made anyway.

    D-3 hockey is a cottage industry. Always will be. I'd like to see the FF sited somewhere that has adequate seating to accommodate what fans want to come.

  18. #78
    elbojpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Well, there is very little "demand" to exploit vis-a-vis D-3 hockey... Why not look to maintain accessibility instead, for the 2-3K peeps who will actually be interested enough to buy tickets? There's no money to be made anyway.

    D-3 hockey is a cottage industry. Always will be. I'd like to see the FF sited somewhere that has adequate seating to accommodate what fans want to come.
    I agree whole-heartedly; however, you and I aren't making the decisions.

    My assumption is that some recent business school grad hacks working for the NCAA are trying to retrofit a niche sport with general business rules OR (as I've discovered first hand) someone's getting an "incentive" to award undeserving sites a bid.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    I agree whole-heartedly; however, you and I aren't making the decisions.

    My assumption is that some recent business school grad hacks working for the NCAA are trying to retrofit a niche sport with general business rules OR (as I've discovered first hand) someone's getting an "incentive" to award undeserving sites a bid.
    The smokie room strikes again.

  20. #80
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,230

    Re: Future D-III Championship sites

    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    I agree whole-heartedly; however, you and I aren't making the decisions.

    My assumption is that some recent business school grad hacks working for the NCAA are trying to retrofit a niche sport with general business rules OR (as I've discovered first hand) someone's getting an "incentive" to award undeserving sites a bid.
    Hard to imagine that anyone makes a buck hosting any D-3 event at a neutral site, but I'd love to hear any specifics on the matter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •