Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future D-III Championship sites

Future D-III Championship sites

2018 is Lake Placid but I believe after that its open.

Should the Rota be 3E - 1W??

2016 - Lake Placid
    2017 - Utica
    2018 - Lake Placid
    2019 - Ridder???
    2020 - East 1
    2021 - East 2
    2022 - East 3
    2023 - Back West again.

Russell - here's where I need your help. You have to convince Potsdam St. to put in a bid to host at Clarkson. I'll work on the Clarkson end.

This spring will start non stop service from Baltimore - Massena. Ogdensburg has regular service from Aliegent. Syracuse is a 3 hr drive.

Let's do this!!

Re: Future D-III Championship sites

It's a little big maybe but the War Memorial in Syracuse would be a cool place to host. If Oswego was in it the crowd would be pretty huge and there are a lot of nice places in the area to go to for drinks and food.

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker28 View Post
    It's a little big maybe but the War Memorial in Syracuse would be a cool place to host. If Oswego was in it the crowd would be pretty huge and there are a lot of nice places in the area to go to for drinks and food.
    That place us a dump for AHL...

Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar

Recent-ish survey among DIII Men's hockey coaches supported a return to campus sites beginning in 2019. I'd expect to see that.

There may be some talk about an Oz bid...on campus...may be 😉

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    That place us a dump for AHL...
    It isn't great but it's better than that hole in Binghamton. But now that I think of it, Syracuse is a dump of a city for the most part and driving there sucks. Bag that idea.

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker28 View Post
    It isn't great but it's better than that hole in Binghamton. But now that I think of it, Syracuse is a dump of a city for the most part and driving there sucks. Bag that idea.
    Nothing like walking up and down half covered stairs to the locker rooms....or the warm up area that doubles as a parking garage.

It's A Great Day For Hockey

Well, I wish PMI would consider bidding, but they won't give up Resch Center dates for a weekend without beer kif there's no guarantee SNC would be playing. There is talk of replacing the old Brown County Arena with a new facility - mostly an expo hall but would have ice with seats that could be right size. But that is years away.

But, much like Ridder, I wish Wisconsin would work with someone to host at LaBahn Arena, the Badgers' women's home. Right size capacity and centrally located, basically, for MIAC and NCHA schools. And Madison would be a fun touristy place, too.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 2017
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Well, I wish PMI would consider bidding, but they won't give up Resch Center dates for a weekend without beer kif there's no guarantee SNC would be playing. There is talk of replacing the old Brown County Arena with a new facility - mostly an expo hall but would have ice with seats that could be right size. But that is years away.

But, much like Ridder, I wish Wisconsin would work with someone to host at LaBahn Arena, the Badgers' women's home. Right size capacity and centrally located, basically, for MIAC and NCHA schools. And Madison would be a fun touristy place, too.
    Mad Town is probably the most fun city in the Midwest, barring Chicago. It's a great destination for hockey-tourists.

In the East, I'm leaning toward Placid and Albany. (Or maybe campus sites, as long as the rankings are transparent and objective as to siting.)

I doubt that any D-3 FF could possibly draw 5K or more anywhere in our great land, unless it was sited in an actual or a de-facto barn... But attendance takes a far back seat to equity in that department, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Recent-ish survey among DIII Men's hockey coaches supported a return to campus sites beginning in 2019. I'd expect to see that.
    The campus sites thing was just for 1 year out of every 4-year rotation from everything I've heard.

I don't like campus sites because it's near impossible to get tickets if your team's not in it. Also, what if none of the 4 participants has a suitable facility?

Hershey Park Arena? But the ice may not be regulation.

Who cares they have 5 pound chocolate bars

Suitable facility? Yeah, nothing like an 8,000 arena with 1,600 people in it. Why not pack a DIII rink to create a more appropriate atmosphere? Eau Claire, Gustavus Adolphus, SNC can all draw well, but they are never fully filled. How about letting a rink like that fill up for the most important game of the season? A place like the soon to be old St. Olaf rink would be questionable, but still would be a fun experience.

Quote Originally Posted by d3hockey57 View Post
    Suitable facility? Yeah, nothing like an 8,000 arena with 1,600 people in it. Why not pack a DIII rink to create a more appropriate atmosphere? Eau Claire, Gustavus Adolphus, SNC can all draw well, but they are never fully filled. How about letting a rink like that fill up for the most important game of the season? A place like the soon to be old St. Olaf rink would be questionable, but still would be a fun experience.
    Just like Lake Placid?

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Just like Lake Placid?
    I don't care to look it up, but didn't Placid draw around 3K in the past few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I don't care to look it up, but didn't Placid draw around 3K in the past few years?
    ~2300 each day last year
    ~1400 Fri, ~2000 Sat in 2012-13

Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    ~2300 each day last year
    ~1400 Fri, ~2000 Sat in 2012-13
    IIRC, The first time the FF was in Lake Placid, St Norbert, Elmira, Plattsburgh and Norwich, it was widely reported that the crowd both days was the largest ever recorded for D-III hockey games. Pretty sure the record still stands. And Lake Placid is difinitely NOT an especially easy place to get to, particularly durIng late winter.

GO CARDS
    Wally
    Cornell 67

Quote Originally Posted by wallhd View Post
    IIRC, The first time the FF was in Lake Placid, St Norbert, Elmira, Plattsburgh and Norwich, it was widely reported that the crowd both days was the largest ever recorded for D-III hockey games. Pretty sure the record still stands. And Lake Placid is difinitely NOT an especially easy place to get to, particularly durIng late winter.

GO CARDS
    Wally
    Cornell 67
    I travel from Plattsburgh to Lake Placid on average of twice a week. Not a hard or long trip. About 50 minutes, maybe an hour 15 minutes in bad weather. In turn Plattsburgh is only 40 minutes from Burlington, Vt...... even with the ferry time. So we are looking less than two hours from BTV. That does not seem like a hard trip to me.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    I travel from Plattsburgh to Lake Placid on average of twice a week. Not a hard or long trip. About 50 minutes, maybe an hour 15 minutes in bad weather. In turn Plattsburgh is only 40 minutes from Burlington, Vt...... even with the ferry time. So we are looking less than two hours from BTV. That does not seem like a hard trip to me.
    Being 50-75 minutes from Plattsburgh -in a National sense- is kinda like saying "an easy day's drive from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan". LP is fairly remote from anything.

I suspect that more-or-less the same number of hardcore fans will attend the D-3 FF no matter where it's played in the East. This year's teams just represented small fan-bases. Utica would have drawn better had there been an Oswego, a Platty, or a fairly local team there.

Placid is probably as good a choice as any, though, all things considered. Some people might go just on the basis of name-recognition alone.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-17-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Thread Information