Future D-III Championship sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future D-III Championship sites

Its a shame that the Glens Falls civic center does not have the locker room space. It can hold 5000 people and is less than an hour major airport. Plenty of hotel rooms and restaurants in Glens falls. I am sure that they could work their way around the ECHL Adirondack Thunders schedule if they ever upgraded the locker room situation.
    The new video board and scoreboards at the Herb Brooks in Lake Placid are really nice and will surely add to the fan experience. I was at the ecac final four and new scoreboards and video screens were a big hit with the fans. Placid has lots of overpriced hotels and restaurant and limited parking. The olympic center needs to upgrade and add bathroom facilities. It doesn't matter what arena is chosen they all have advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
      The first lesson of Business School is that limited supply = greater demand.
      Well, there is very little "demand" to exploit vis-a-vis D-3 hockey... Why not look to maintain accessibility instead, for the 2-3K peeps who will actually be interested enough to buy tickets? There's no money to be made anyway.

D-3 hockey is a cottage industry. Always will be. I'd like to see the FF sited somewhere that has adequate seating to accommodate what fans want to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Well, there is very little "demand" to exploit vis-a-vis D-3 hockey... Why not look to maintain accessibility instead, for the 2-3K peeps who will actually be interested enough to buy tickets? There's no money to be made anyway.

D-3 hockey is a cottage industry. Always will be. I'd like to see the FF sited somewhere that has adequate seating to accommodate what fans want to come.
        I agree whole-heartedly; however, you and I aren't making the decisions.

My assumption is that some recent business school grad hacks working for the NCAA are trying to retrofit a niche sport with general business rules OR (as I've discovered first hand) someone's getting an "incentive" to award undeserving sites a bid.

Comment

My assumption is that some recent business school grad hacks working for the NCAA are trying to retrofit a niche sport with general business rules OR (as I've discovered first hand) someone's getting an "incentive" to award undeserving sites a bid.
          The smokie room strikes again.

Comment

Hard to imagine that anyone makes a buck hosting any D-3 event at a neutral site, but I'd love to hear any specifics on the matter.

Comment

I have long supported the idea of Norwich, Middlebury and Plattsburgh hosting at Gutterson in Burlington ... classic old barn with 4, 000 seats in a great college town!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                I have long supported the idea of Norwich, Middlebury and Plattsburgh hosting at Gutterson in Burlington ... classic old barn with 4, 000 seats in a great college town!
                I could actually get behind that idea!
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                  Only problem is that UVM is always counting on playing meaningful hockey during the D-III playoffs. That's the problem with any D-I campus hosting - they all plan to be playing that weekend!
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95
                  Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                    Only problem is that UVM is always counting on playing meaningful hockey during the D-III playoffs. That's the problem with any D-I campus hosting - they all plan to be playing that weekend!
                    Yeah, they'd be planning to play at the TD Garden that weekend. Fairly certain they could handle doing both.
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                      Yeah, they'd be planning to play at the TD Garden that weekend. Fairly certain they could handle doing both.
                      Yea not sure what Steve is thinking on this one....I don't think the Gut will be hosting a Conference Championship or Regional....
                      Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM.
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                        They'll be on the road at an NCAA regional. Unless the state is using the Gut for a State championship, the barn is empty.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If you replace "business school grad hacks" with something along the lines of "coaches and admins directly involved with d3 hockey who aren't smart enough to see the big picture"...you'd be onto something.

I've thought about going after this one in full, but alas, everyone's got a point where it's easier to just stop caring.
                          I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Recently we asked if the 3000 seat Campus Center arena at the OZ could be used for a championship. We have several new hotels in the OZ, as capacity has increased. I was told that after 2018 nothing was solid. Also that you cannot apply, you have to be invited. I found that difficult to understand, but it is ptobably correct.
                            Also, we enjoyed our trip to Utica this year and found the Memorial Aud. a great facility.

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
                              Recently we asked if the 3000 seat Campus Center arena at the OZ could be used for a championship. We have several new hotels in the OZ, as capacity has increased. I was told that after 2018 nothing was solid. Also that you cannot apply, you have to be invited. I found that difficult to understand, but it is ptobably correct.
                              Also, we enjoyed our trip to Utica this year and found the Memorial Aud. a great facility.
                              I feel like Oswego has a great shot at hosting one of the non-predetermined sites one year with the consistent success year in and year out.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

If, for example the "National Seedings" were:
                                St. Norbert
                                Norwich
                                Wisconsin - Stevens Point
                                Oswego

Who hosts?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X