Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cycling 2017.

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Probert View Post
    Still don't understand most of the teams in the races tactics. As soon as Landa had brought Froomie back to the group why didn't someone hit him? Aru, Uran, Martin somebody, he's only got one teammate he just had a hard chase to get back on and then you just tool along. As Bob or Christian said in the post stage, now in the last week guys are sometimes racing more for position than for the win..
    If you're trusting those two muppets for analysis that's your own problem. But, to your actual question: they can't. They would attack if they could but they can't. Sky is able to set a pace so high that there's not much anyone can do about it even when they want to. This has been talked about in an abundance of rider interviews for 5-6 years now. Amusingly, the one guy who might be able to crack it is Landa but he won't have the balls to try it.

Hell, we just saw it the other day. Froome already getting dropped...about three times, has another phantom mechanical, loses 50 seconds with Ag2r drilling it and they pull it all back with ease anyway. And you think someone is going to attack that on their own? It's not happening. Kiriyenka just drove a pace that slowly pulled in a rogue Contador, and he did it by himself. And you expect someone to be able to attack Froome and have it stick? No way.

It's pure comedy, same as it was 15-20 years ago. I just hope Prez isn't dense enough to be naming his velogames team after Sky come 2035.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Re: Cycling 2017.

It is rather odd, isn't it? Quintana rode the Giro. Can't hang with an aging Contador, loses tons of time.

Pinot rode the Giro. Been riding at the back for two weeks before finally abandoning.

Landa rode the Giro. Won the King of the Mountains. Best climber in the Tour. Probably could win the whole thing if it weren't for team orders.

A more cynical person than I might find this suspicious.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    It's pure comedy, same as it was 15-20 years ago. I just hope Prez isn't dense enough to be naming his velogames team after Sky come 2035.
    Never say never.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Never say never.
    It wouldn't surprise me considering the utter sadness of someone still being loyal to Discovery Channel. I mean, there are always going to be Freds in this world, but touting an entity that flamboyantly and arrogantly cheated the sport and then ruined people's lives so as to cover it up is an entirely different deal. Wish I could find that picture of McQuaid and Bruyneel with the wine glasses, with Millar in the background. A bit of photoshop and you'd fit right in with those losers.

Still upright

It wouldn't surprise me considering the utter sadness of someone still being loyal to Discovery Channel. I mean, there are always going to be Freds in this world, but touting an entity that flamboyantly and arrogantly cheated the sport and then ruined people's lives so as to cover it up is an entirely different deal. Wish I could find that picture of McQuaid and Bruyneel with the wine glasses, with Millar in the background. A bit of photoshop and you'd fit right in with those losers.
    Well tell us how you really feel. .....or you could be me. number 32000 out of 52000 and going no where. It's sad sky wins so much and its sad its such a parade and it is almost totally predictable, but I still watch. I'd like to see someone else come up with a budget nearer to sky, to me that's the only way things change.I was sorry Sagan got thrown out, it made it less interesting.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Literally the reason why I watch the Tour de France and have been invested in it the last 15 years is because of Lance Armstrong and those teams from those years. Sure they cheated, almost everyone did in that era and as you allude to you think Sky currently is. I'm sure there are plenty of Sky fans out there today.

Just because I name a silly velogames team after my "my favorite" cycling team name I've encountered over the years I've watched the Tour doesn't mean I support or stand behind everything that went on during their days.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Literally the reason why I watch the Tour de France and have been invested in it the last 15 years is because of Lance Armstrong and those teams from those years. Sure they cheated, almost everyone did in that era and as you allude to you think Sky currently is. I'm sure there are plenty of Sky fans out there today.

Just because I name a silly velogames team after my "my favorite" cycling team name I've encountered over the years I've watched the Tour doesn't mean I support or stand behind everything that went on during their days.
    To change the subject slightly,
    I remember watching Lauren Fignon collapse at the finish line and losing by what was it, three seconds or so. that's what got me hooked.
    I was able to watch some of it on eurosports and some highlights on French TV. I thought they were both better than NBC from a commentary point of view, though my French is not good enough to pick up everything that is said, I get a good bit of it.

yesterday they had technical difficulties so for about 15-20 minutes they had on the Aussie feed with Robbie Mcewen and whoever his partner was and they were okay. I think we will probably get Roll and Paul for the Vuelta. Tour of Utah starts next week but is on FS 2 I'm guessing that means GOGO.

Not much excitement today as Time trials aren't that exciting to watch. I watched Tony's ride and the top 20 just to see if maybe Froome would wipe out or something and make it interesting.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Finally stopped watching the tour and my Velogames team rips it up. Nice work Warren, Marcel, and Fabio!

Still upright

Still upright

Well the Vuelta starts in a few days. I certainly expect sky to clean up again, but maybe we could see someone like Contador spool things up or chaves. He was terrible in the tour but I think he's primed to do well in spain as is Rohan Dennis. We might see him raise a few eyebrows too.
    I don't know what the TV coverage is looking like but i'll be trying to watch anyway.

rock and roller

TV coverage on NBC's new Olympic channel.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    TV coverage on NBC's new Olympic channel.
    I believe this channel replaced Universal at least it did on my cable channel.

Was very disappointed in Tour of Utah it's a race I usually enjoy but it was basically BMC and the North American teams not that exciting even with them adding a time trial. Ditto for the Colorado Classic though the nice attack won it on the second to last day. It was basically a circuit race each day. Also have to fault the idiots at NBC as I missed the end since something ran over and it started late. It if was a real event I could forgive them but it was just some motorsport show that was probably scheduled between the two. Missed the last 5 K of the race.

Still upright

My Vuelta team. Rui Costa, Alberto Contador, Johan Chaves, Wout Poels, Jose Rojas, Lachlan Morton, Rohan Dennis, Thomas De Gendt, Romain Bardet.

rock and roller

Quickly picked Vuelta team. Can't do worse than my TDF team.

Here's hoping Chavez has something to prove.

Miguel Ángel López Astana Pro Team 16
    Adam Yates ORICA-Scott 14
    Ilnur Zakarin Team Katusha - Alpecin 16
    Marc Soler Movistar Team 12
    Jens Debusschere Lotto Soudal 6
    Luis Leon Sanchez Astana Pro Team 8
    Rohan Dennis BMC Racing Team 8
    Jan Polanc UAE Team Emirates 6
    Johan Esteban Chaves ORICA-Scott 14

My team

Vincenzo Nibali Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team 20
    Steven Kruijswijk Team LottoNL-Jumbo 12
    Marc Soler Movistar Team 12
    George Bennett Team LottoNL-Jumbo 10
    Matteo Trentin Quick-Step Floors 10
    Rohan Dennis BMC Racing Team 8
    Thomas De Gendt Lotto Soudal 6
    Niki Terpstra Quick-Step Floors 6
    Ilnur Zakarin Team Katush

Looks like it is Sherwen and Roll on commentary. I think the same as last year. Roll is really tough to listed to for 2 hours. When he is on the pre and post shows I just ignore most of it except the interviews. Did anyone else have continuous picture break up the last 30-45 minutes or was it my cable provider rather than the live feed.

This really looks like a good race and hopefully their will be a lot of guys in the mix not a domination by SKY.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Probert View Post
    Looks like it is Sherwen and Roll on commentary. I think the same as last year. Roll is really tough to listed to for 2 hours. When he is on the pre and post shows I just ignore most of it except the interviews. Did anyone else have continuous picture break up the last 30-45 minutes or was it my cable provider rather than the live feed.

This really looks like a good race and hopefully there will be a lot of guys in the mix not a domination by SKY.
    Well, we knew sky would dominate, its just by how much. The race is turning out to be fairly good. And I see Talansky is retiring, ..... at 28. And what are the Brits thinking,?!

rock and roller

I'd say Terlansky saw the writing on the wall, with Cannondale imploding. He probably doesn't want to go back to racing strictly in the States, and doesn't want to sign with another Pro-tour team just to be stuck working for their team leader. I can't see any other big team giving him a contract as a protected rider.

When Froome was in the intermediate and final sprint today to keep in the lead and "win" the points jersey, I really found myself hoping he would crash and break his leg and not get any jersey's. The greedy ba**ard. Technically it's the Vuelta's problem and the way they score points, which is the reason why very few elite non Spanish sprinters compete, or start and leave after a week, in the race.

Thread Information