Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: UAA 2017 offseason

UAA 2017 offseason

From 2016 to the 2017 offseason:

+`s
    Aces gone, we will inherit some fans and "fans"
    Hubbs gone
    Outdrawing the baby bears, all this shuffling of people in and out of the state must make the dumps a gold mine.......see what I did there?
    Our defense, while at times they played like swiss cheese just look at out goalies stats
    Did not lead the league in PIM, the baby bears did
    PK improved, take that as another sign defense did improve
    Goals allowed went down after the first period, no more out-coaching after the first break

-`s
    Mitchell going after the NHL, only player with double digits goals, in 2nd place at goals a lot of fives
    Hubbs gone, like him or not the team responded after his colorful choices on the ice
    Whose gonna backup Mantha, assuming we still have him starting next season
    Our offense went from 81 goals scored in 15-16 to 59 this past season
    PP beyond pitiful, 10% to 8.3%
    Offense improved as the game went on, terrible first two periods though

Let's just hope when Mulcahy gets rebuild (knock on wood, not refurbished), the construction crew accidentally constricts the water main and the Sully collapses due to flooding. Now that would be poignant, all our tears as the Seawolf faithful literally tearing down that concrete albatross. Thus forcing ice to be put into the Alaska Airlines Center.
    At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy, UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. Id rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Fighting for the only colors.

Re: UAA 2017 offseason

I look forward to seeing what Olivier Mantha will do during his senior season. He's certainly one of my favorite goaltenders right now.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Quote Originally Posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    I look forward to seeing what Olivier Mantha will do during his senior season. He's certainly one of my favorite goaltenders right now.
    Mantha should have an awesome senior year! And Stead sounds like a very solid goalie. I know, I know - he's from the SJHL, but he's one of the top goalies in that league. The incoming recruit I am very excited to see is Sinclair. He had a combined 17 goals and 34 assists, and he's a defenceman! He had 4 goals and 8 assists in 11 playoff games as well. Again, from the SJHL, but he won the top defenseman in the league for the past two seasons.

If Azurdia, Anholt, and Kozun have the kind of season they are both capable of, that will help tremendously and could make all the difference. They are all capable of scoring in double digits.

Can't agree more about the dismal power play, and it's been that way for too many seasons. Something has GOT to change and this HAS to be fixed.
    Last edited by Suze; 04-12-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Haider on Aces folding and new opportunities: "Open to seeing what's out there". Jack Michaels went from the Aces to the Oilers, good luck Kurt!
    At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy, UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. Id rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Wish to ask a question here after reading about Mitchel trying his wares heading to the next step in NHL/AHL, isn’t it peculiar seeing that the player is only completing his Sophomore season and hasn’t reached the potential from his statistics. No doubt 12 goals is a nice number, however 12G with 2A for a total of 14 Pts can be improved on quite a bit I would hazard to guess. Mitchel netted 12 points the year previous. I have never seen the player play so please bear with me, and a players potential in making team mates play better at times do not reflect always in statistics. It just struck me as unusual so thought I would enquire and see what the story is. UAA will miss the player no doubt as goal production seems to be down from previous years, and a finisher is always welcome on all teams.

Notice that the Renouf twins have played out their inaugural season after transferring & redshirting last season, anyone who can give us an update on the potential there would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Haider on Aces folding and new opportunities: "Open to seeing what's out there". Jack Michaels went from the Aces to the Oilers, good luck Kurt!
    Since Tuttle won't be calling games next season, it would be great to get Kurt back. Probably a pipe dream. But one can still dream!

When did our mascot get so ugly?

Wow. See what happens when you haven't dropped in here for a while? Didn't know Tuttle wasn't coming back, but it's not surprising to me. Not at all. I sure wish Kurt would consider coming back, at least until his wife retires, but who knows what he has going on.

Overheard @ Aces: "There's been considerable interest by our fans on how they go about purchasing Seawolves tickets".

Evidently, the website doesn't yet have the info up, but it's a good sign that people are asking. I went to the last game and a lot of fans, (who feel like they have no choice ) are also planning to attend Seawolves games this coming season.

We'll make Seawolves fans out of them, yet!

I asked UAA and Seawolves hockey ticket info goes up on the GoSeawolves site (and other outlets) at the beginning of June. They're in talks to dump the live GCI coverage, which I hope happens. Sure, it's convenient, but that set-up definitely didn't do anything to improve attendance. Sounds like they're considering going back to the old format of airing tape-delayed games.

While they're at it, maybe they can ditch the internet radio and go back to a local station. (I don't ask much, do I? )
    Last edited by AlaskaRox; 04-12-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: space cadet = me

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaRox View Post
    Wow. See what happens when you haven't dropped in here for a while? Didn't know Tuttle wasn't coming back, but it's not surprising to me. Not at all. I sure wish Kurt would consider coming back, at least until his wife retires, but who knows what he has going on.

Overheard @ Aces: "There's been considerable interest by our fans on how they go about purchasing Seawolves tickets".

Evidently, the website doesn't yet have the info up, but it's a good sign that people are asking. I went to the last game and a lot of fans, (who feel like they have no choice ) are also planning to attend Seawolves games this coming season.

I asked UAA and Seawolves hockey ticket info goes up on the GoSeawolves site (and other outlets) at the beginning of June. They're in talks to dump the live GCI coverage, which I hope happens. Sure, it's convenient, but that set-up definitely didn't do anything to improve attendance. Sounds like they're considering going back to the old format of airing tape-delayed games.

While they're at it, maybe they can ditch the internet radio and go back to a local station. (I don't ask much, do I? )
    Having a minor league team in town is a considerable drain.

UMLs numbers went up a grand after the AHL left before we got good. If I have to go by that I'd say you'll do the same

Let's just hope when Mulcahy gets rebuild (knock on wood, not refurbished), the construction crew accidentally constricts the water main and the Sully collapses due to flooding. Now that would be poignant, all our tears as the Seawolf faithful literally tearing down that concrete albatross. Thus forcing ice to be put into the Alaska Airlines Center.
    You sure they wouldn't just make UAA play at Ben Boeke, instead?
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Have a Seawolves section in the rink. Incorporate some of the favorite Seawolves promotions and activities into the game production!

Tuttle is only unavailable for this coming season, he is getting deployed. He loves his job and hates that he has to miss 4 months of hockey. He did a great job too!! I heard a rumor that there may not be a UAA play by play person on the road, just for home games. It would save a lot of money, and we (like many other fans) watch WCHA TV anyway, so we are always listening to the other teams guy. I would hate for that to happen, but if it helps keep the program alive I'm okay with it.

I had not heard that the GCI games may go back to being tape delayed. I was told the reason GCI wants them aired live is so people can't fast forward through the commercials. I hope you are right about that AlaskaRox!

Too bad UAA didn't have time to get the season ticket packages ready so they could have set up a table at the last couple Aces games. In years past they had a table up for the last home series to renew the tickets, and I wish they would go back to that way of doing things. It would make it easier for fans to renew, and I'm for ANYTHING that makes season ticket sales easy!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Wish to ask a question here after reading about Mitchel trying his wares heading to the next step in NHL/AHL, isn’t it peculiar seeing that the player is only completing his Sophomore season and hasn’t reached the potential from his statistics. No doubt 12 goals is a nice number, however 12G with 2A for a total of 14 Pts can be improved on quite a bit I would hazard to guess. Mitchel netted 12 points the year previous. I have never seen the player play so please bear with me, and a players potential in making team mates play better at times do not reflect always in statistics. It just struck me as unusual so thought I would enquire and see what the story is. UAA will miss the player no doubt as goal production seems to be down from previous years, and a finisher is always welcome on all teams.

Notice that the Renouf twins have played out their inaugural season after transferring & redshirting last season, anyone who can give us an update on the potential there would be appreciated.
    I was not at all surprised to see Mitchell get an NHL offer. The scouts have been watching him since he was in juniors. He was invited to two NHL summer training camps as well. His numbers don't show his potential. He scored most of his goals in the second half of the season when he was changed to a different line. He had multiple goals in several games. But it's not just his goal scoring ability that the pros like, he is a big guy who is hard to move off the puck. He is extremely physical and doesn't shy away from anything. Coach was quoted as saying he didn't just "hit" other players, he "ran through them". Very formidable! He was always in front of the net, and if not scoring he was screening the goalie so other teammates could. He's a ton of fun to watch. I am not sure we will see him in the NHL anytime soon, but he certainly has the skill set for the pros.

As for the twins, I can only speak for myself. I was quite disappointed in their performance. Both were prolific scorers in juniors, but didn't do much scoring for UAA. We heard they were power play experts, but UAA's power play was one of the worst, if not the worst, in the nation. I hope this next season is a better one for them.
    Last edited by Suze; 04-13-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
    For the 16.5 I would upgrade to the Bonnie Cusack Hockey Rink.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Wish to ask a question here after reading about Mitchel trying his wares heading to the next step in NHL/AHL, isnt it peculiar seeing that the player is only completing his Sophomore season and hasnt reached the potential from his statistics. No doubt 12 goals is a nice number, however 12G with 2A for a total of 14 Pts can be improved on quite a bit I would hazard to guess. Mitchel netted 12 points the year previous. I have never seen the player play so please bear with me, and a players potential in making team mates play better at times do not reflect always in statistics. It just struck me as unusual so thought I would enquire and see what the story is. UAA will miss the player no doubt as goal production seems to be down from previous years, and a finisher is always welcome on all teams.

Everything Suze said, and he's got potential. Similar to Jay Beagle (also two years but better numbers) but more snarl. Should be a smooth transition in the pros with his style of play. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a move to snatch him up before somebody else did. Begale leaving after two seasons also caught me off guard, I thought he needed another season but boy was I wrong.

The Renouf's were alright, the PP would have been worse without them. They did have some rust, but next season they should be clicking even more. Honestly they reminded me of Morgan Hooe (UAA VB), undersized but uses that for their advantage, and an unorthodox style of play that can catch defenders off guard. Our offense was beyond anemic, and would have been even worse without them.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
    Fans, the community, and the team would not have it. The WFSC would be a better option, at least that would be on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Tuttle is only unavailable for this coming season, he is getting deployed. He loves his job and hates that he has to miss 4 months of hockey. He did a great job too!! I heard a rumor that there may not be a UAA play by play person on the road, just for home games. It would save a lot of money, and we (like many other fans) watch WCHA TV anyway, so we are always listening to the other teams guy. I would hate for that to happen, but if it helps keep the program alive I'm okay with it.

I had not heard that the GCI games may go back to being tape delayed. I was told the reason GCI wants them aired live is so people can't fast forward through the commercials. I hope you are right about that AlaskaRox!

Too bad UAA didn't have time to get the season ticket packages ready so they could have set up a table at the last couple Aces games. In years past they had a table up for the last home series to renew the tickets, and I wish they would go back to that way of doing things. It would make it easier for fans to renew, and I'm for ANYTHING that makes season ticket sales easy!
    With GCI being bought, and possibly not having to pay taxes to the state of Alaska, many things could be changing. All their stores, the sponsorship of the Shootout, airing our games. I expect at least some sort of corporate streamlining. Don't forgot the possibility of them selling your internet history and data to the highest bidder.

The Renouf's were alright, the PP would have been worse without them. They did have some rust, but next season they should be clicking even more. Honestly they reminded me of Morgan Hooe (UAA VB), undersized but uses that for their advantage, and an unorthodox style of play that can catch defenders off guard. Our offense was beyond anemic, and would have been even worse without them.
    There was good chemistry between the twins on power plays, but I don't think the pp could have been any worse than it was. I think you are correct in saying they had rink rust. The guys had to sit out two seasons after juniors. Hopefully this next season we will see them live up to their potential.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    There was good chemistry between the twins on power plays, but I don't think the pp could have been any worse than it was. I think you are correct in saying they had rink rust. The guys had to sit out two seasons after juniors. Hopefully this next season we will see them live up to their potential.
    I thought our offense was gonna improve immensely this past season, but players did not live up to their potential. Injuries screwed up our lines early on, don't know who their strength and conditioning coach is but a change is needed. If Azurdia, Kozun, Duwe, and Hubbs, among countless others played to their fullest ability this season would've been different. While they disappointed you they sit at the 5th and 7th highest scorers (4th and 5th returning scorers for next season as of right now), you should be disappointed with everybody that did not sit out two seasons.

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

I thought our offense was gonna improve immensely this past season, but players did not live up to their potential. Injuries screwed up our lines early on, don't know who their strength and conditioning coach is but a change is needed. If Azurdia, Kozun, Duwe, and Hubbs, among countless others played to their fullest ability this season would've been different. While they disappointed you they sit at the 5th and 7th highest scorers (4th and 5th returning scorers for next season as of right now), you should be disappointed with everybody that did not sit out two seasons.
    Oh there are several players who I was very disappointed in, besides the twins. I think it was more of a mental thing with them. Hopefully whatever the issue was is resolved.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Watching the Minnesota/St Louis game. The very clean look of the Blues goalie is appealing.
    The helmet with no decorations is very refreshing. The fads do change every so often.
    Speaking of goalies Christiansen was manning his stepdads booth at the Home Show today. He has been doing that duty for several years.

Thread Information