Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Offseason 2017: Reload

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Offseason 2017: Reload

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Works on my computer just fine. Adobe flash must be installed. Try this link: http://www.snappytv.com/tc/5531764
    Still not working, don't have time to mess with it today!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Heads up for those interested in hockey tics, single game tickets for the 97th season of Gopher hockey on sale today beginning at 9am.

lubba wubba dub dub

And I will be at Ma Mining's Mariucci Arena once this year. 3M really jacked up the prices on those things.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

itemprop

The Gophers men’s hockey program received commitments Thursday from two Twin Cities players who are believed to be the youngest commits in team history.

Chaz and Cruz Lucius — 14 and 13 years old, respectively — from Gentry Academy in Vadnais Heights gave their commitments to Don Lucia and the Gophers on Thursday, according to the high school’s Twitter account.

- Star Tribune

All Hail

itemprop

The Gophers men’s hockey program received commitments Thursday from...Chaz and Cruz Lucius — 14 and 13 years old, respectively
    And you're proud of this?
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    Time (lots of time!) will tell...
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Legend in everybodys mind

They are the greatest players ever at their age in American hockey history and maybe even Canada.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/hammyhockey
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/
    http://twitter.com/CHeisenberg]
    http://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

lubba wubba dub dub

itemprop

The Gophers men’s hockey program received commitments Thursday from two Twin Cities players who are believed to be the youngest commits in team history.

Chaz and Cruz Lucius — 14 and 13 years old, respectively — from Gentry Academy in Vadnais Heights gave their commitments to Don Lucia and the Gophers on Thursday, according to the high school’s Twitter account.

- Star Tribune
    I saw this the other day. Schools should not recruit children this young, and parents should protect their children from schools/teams (USHL, Major Jrs, etc.) from them. They're too young to make such a commitment.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

All Hail

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    ....Schools should not recruit children this young, and parents should protect their children from schools/teams (USHL, Major Jrs, etc.) from them. They're too young to make such a commitment.
    The two children didn't make these commitments. Their parents did.

It may not be illegal but it's just wrong on so many levels IMO.

Yes I am. If they are mentored at an early age with a view to attending a top academic institution like the University of Minnesota, as well as improving their hockey skills to play for the Gophers, their values and goals will most likely reflect personal discipline, a pursuit of academic excellence, character development and hard work. As a university professor, I suspect they will be more prepared for college than many students I have seen in my classrooms.

itemprop

- Star Tribune
    Soon they won't even be out of the womb and their parents will commit them. Effing ridiculous

Kings affiliate
    Yes I am. If they are mentored at an early age with a view to attending a top academic institution like the University of Minnesota, as well as improving their hockey skills to play for the Gophers, their values and goals will most likely reflect personal discipline, a pursuit of academic excellence, character development and hard work. As a university professor, I suspect they will be more prepared for college than many students I have seen in my classrooms.
    They committed cause their parents wanted this.
    The parents that run the YHH website and IMO are looking for publicity and to pimp their kids.
    Your thoughts are all well and good but I wouldn't hold my breath for any of the above happening.

Have you ever heard of Todd Marinovich ? This is not only pathetic but actually a bit creepy.

Lucia Apologist

I'm no proud of it. It makes me sick.

It is a publicity stunt to promote their school pushed by the parents. Parents reportedly have more money than they need so I assume no verbal commitment for scholarship money was made by the U. So what do they (UM) really have to lose? Kids could turn into stars, and they probably play at the U. If not, if they haven't committed scholarship money to them, there is no loss because they can still commit same amount of money to other kids. And maybe it further makes Lucia's point that there should be a minimum age for commitments. It doesn't feel right. But if one of them turns into the next Austen Mathews and plays at the U, I'll take it. But no, I don't generally feel comfortable with the trend of committing to kids at younger and younger ages where it just becomes a crap shoot.

Lucia Apologist

We shouldn't be encouraging this behavior.

Blame other college sports for it. Hockey is following the trend. I don't like it, not one bit. Unfortunately, some who complain about not getting the recruits they need, need to realize that schools have to practice this b/c others are doing it. Otherwise, we hear those same people "Why aren't we competitive?" It's a downward spiral.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

There have been many 14, 15 and 16 yo recruited in D1 over the past few years. IIRC University of Vermont was the first to recruit a 14 yo. Gophers have also received verbals from three 16 yo this year, as have a host of other teams. Arguably, a lot can happen between now and then.

Some early recruits decommit, others have not advanced to a skill level required for D1. We'll see how it works out. There have been mixed results > ARTICLE .

Whether one agrees or not, the reality of NCAA hockey recruiting today is a coaching staff is compelled to lock up a talented player with upside early or the WHL (recruiting at 14 and 15 yo) or another NCAA team will make an offer. As the article above points out, early recruiting with a verbal commitment can make sense for coaches and parents despite the uncertainty, because "the risk vs. reward favors both parties".

As an academic advisor for over 25 university students in my dept., it does not surprise me at all that the parents were actively involved in encouraging their boys to attend the U of M (and why not?), and I'm sure the boys are very excited about it.

Generally speaking, many parents today are actively involved early in encouraging their kids to attend college and even suggesting what major they would prefer they pursue. Statistically, when parents are involved, those students tend to excel at the college level because they emulate the goals and values I mentioned in my previous post. From an academics perspective, it is often these students that make my job much more rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Blame other college sports for it. Hockey is following the trend. I don't like it, not one bit. Unfortunately, some who complain about not getting the recruits they need, need to realize that schools have to practice this b/c others are doing it. Otherwise, we hear those same people "Why aren't we competitive?" It's a downward spiral.
    A short time ago, the proposal brought forward by this program (and it's conference members) was to eliminate 21 year old freshmen. But this is acceptable ?

All Hail

There have been many 14, 15 and 16 yo recruited in D1 over the past few years. IIRC University of Vermont was the first to recruit a 14 yo. Gophers have also received verbals from three 16 yo this year, as have a host of other teams. Arguably, a lot can happen between now and then.

Some early recruits decommit, others have not advanced to a skill level required for D1. We'll see how it works out. There have been mixed results > ARTICLE .

Whether one agrees or not, the reality of NCAA hockey recruiting today is a coaching staff is compelled to lock up a talented player with upside early or the WHL (recruiting at 14 and 15 yo) or another NCAA team will make an offer. As the article above points out, early recruiting with a verbal commitment can make sense for coaches and parents despite the uncertainty, because "the risk vs. reward favors both parties".

As an academic advisor for over 25 university students in my dept., it does not surprise me at all that the parents were actively involved in encouraging their boys to attend the U of M (and why not?), and I'm sure the boys are very excited about it.

Generally speaking, many parents today are actively involved early in encouraging their kids to attend college and even suggesting what major they would prefer they pursue. Statistically, when parents are involved, those students tend to excel at the college level because they emulate the goals and values I mentioned in my previous post. From an academics perspective, it is often these students that make my job much more rewarding.
    I don't think anybody is objecting to recruiting 16-year-olds. But supposedly reputable universities pressuring (and/or parents pimping) 13- and 14-year olds is a completely different matter. And if Vermont got a 14yo to commit, then shame on them too.

You're quite right when you say that this is what college recruiting has come to but that's only because the so-called Power-5 conferences have conveniently exempted themselves from anything resembling reasonable ethical strictures. And people like you, who should care about the damage the resulting recruiting and budgetary arms races are doing to college sports, apparently don't. The rest of your arguments defending the recruiting of children, IMO, are specious at best.
    Last edited by Split-N; 09-09-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Thread Information