Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: How was Chicago?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15

    How was Chicago?

    For those of us who didn't make it this year, how did Chicago do? One blow out and two great games, but how was the event?

  2. #2
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,878

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by hky View Post
    For those of us who didn't make it this year, how did Chicago do? One blow out and two great games, but how was the event?
    I loved "25 or 6 To 4 ".

  3. #3
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    28,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I loved "25 or 6 To 4 ".
    There really is no reason to post anything additional to this thread. Ralph wins!!!!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    53

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Chicago was great. Since UML did not make the trip, we were UMD fans for the weekend. Tried to get in the pre-game at the Odgen but there was a line about 20 deep and "one out, one in" policy in effect... so, we did the Billy Goat Tavern up the street. Folks were definitely having a good time. Did not do the Fan Fest. The United Center is a terrific arena. Easy in and easy out both nights. We partied in town prior to and took the CTA which went without a hitch.. Made it to Kitty O'Sheas to see Buccigross and Melrose show... again, overpacked... "one out, one in" in effect. Silver lining - stood in line with TJ's cousin from Red Deer who was excited about his cousin's Richter award that had just occurred. Made it to The Franklin Room for a Vieux Carre with some other UMD fans. So much to do in Chicago. A big thumbs up. Not to mention - the weather was great! Can't wait for another in the Windy City!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    863

    Re: How was Chicago?

    A little disappointing - in all of our years attending, no one has ever brought us 1 Frogurt, let alone Four Frogurt. And this year, Fen-ton should have delivered NaCHCos all around. Otherwise, great time in Chicago and good hockey.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,051

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Had a great time, but not my favorite site. I said as soon as it was announced... but there's nothing BY the arena. I think that affected the sense of camaraderie and "smaller town" feel that Frozen Four often has. If it's your only vacation destination all year, I can see how that stuff would be less important, as you want somewhere that's good for a vacation, while I'm looking for somewhere that fits my idea of a good Frozen Four. Can't say I would spend a hockey-less vacation in Providence or Buffalo - but they were great Frozen Four sites. I prefer host cities with lots of stuff (hotels, bars, restaurants, things to do) within walking distance of the arena, and everything is more centralized and not spread out as much. Hard to do in many larger cities like Chicago.

  7. #7
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,687

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Chicago was great, as a place to do stuff.

    The UC was nice, but a touch remote. Sucks to have locals tell us to not take the train....

    The organizers can go suck eggs. They kept the lower bowl to themselves instead of high priority ticket buyers, so instead of having low seats as we have since 2010, we had terrible nosebleed seats.

    Kind of put me off a lot. We have considered not going anymore, and that cemented our stance. So unless we are going to the FF as a program, my family will not. It does help that the next 5 scheduled, we've been to before, and there's no lingering thing that makes us want to go. Although, I may go for Detroit since it's just the cost of tickets.

    One other note- a common complaint in DC was lack of recognition that anything was going on. Same thing happened here, as I saw it. Other than some banners on Michigan Ave, nobody had any idea there was a tournament going on.

  8. #8
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,687

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Had a great time, but not my favorite site. I said as soon as it was announced... but there's nothing BY the arena. I think that affected the sense of camaraderie and "smaller town" feel that Frozen Four often has. If it's your only vacation destination all year, I can see how that stuff would be less important, as you want somewhere that's good for a vacation, while I'm looking for somewhere that fits my idea of a good Frozen Four. Can't say I would spend a hockey-less vacation in Providence or Buffalo - but they were great Frozen Four sites. I prefer host cities with lots of stuff (hotels, bars, restaurants, things to do) within walking distance of the arena, and everything is more centralized and not spread out as much. Hard to do in many larger cities like Chicago.
    DC's rink is right downtown. New York has MSG right downtown. The Fleet Center is right downtown Boston. Heck, even Amilie Arena is downtown Tampa.

    IMHO, Chicago missed the boat putting the UC so far west of town.

  9. #9
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,615

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Kind of put me off a lot. We have considered not going anymore, and that cemented our stance. So unless we are going to the FF as a program, my family will not. It does help that the next 5 scheduled, we've been to before, and there's no lingering thing that makes us want to go. Although, I may go for Detroit since it's just the cost of tickets.
    I'm right there with you as far as being done with the FF unless BC makes it. Tickets were grossly expensive for this one and show no signs of stopping. And they are easy to get if you need them for far cheaper than face value outside the arena.

    All that being said, I liked the FF in Chicago.

    I still think it should be in Tampa every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I'm right there with you as far as being done with the FF unless BC makes it. Tickets were grossly expensive for this one and show no signs of stopping. And they are easy to get if you need them for far cheaper than face value outside the arena.

    All that being said, I liked the FF in Chicago.

    I still think it should be in Tampa every year.
    How much were they? I was surprised to read this morning in the BDN it didn't sell out.

  11. #11
    Let's go Tech!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    3,484

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I loved "25 or 6 To 4 ".
    It was Craig Conroy's favorite song that the pep band played.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Undefeated - 1956

    Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

  12. #12
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,761

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    How much were they? I was surprised to read this morning in the BDN it didn't sell out.
    Face value for balcony seats was $175, clubs were $290 I think? Most of the resale market I saw when I was purchasing last week was right around face value. That compared to the 2X+ face value that tickets in Boston were going for in 2015.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  13. #13
    Let's go Tech!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    3,484

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Chicago was great, as a place to do stuff.

    The UC was nice, but a touch remote. Sucks to have locals tell us to not take the train....

    The organizers can go suck eggs. They kept the lower bowl to themselves instead of high priority ticket buyers, so instead of having low seats as we have since 2010, we had terrible nosebleed seats.

    Kind of put me off a lot. We have considered not going anymore, and that cemented our stance. So unless we are going to the FF as a program, my family will not. It does help that the next 5 scheduled, we've been to before, and there's no lingering thing that makes us want to go. Although, I may go for Detroit since it's just the cost of tickets.

    One other note- a common complaint in DC was lack of recognition that anything was going on. Same thing happened here, as I saw it. Other than some banners on Michigan Ave, nobody had any idea there was a tournament going on.
    There were signs throughout the pier and even a few on the north side.

    As far as my experience, it was ho hum. The CTA has got to be the most disorganized public transportation system on the planet. There are so many attractions and sights that you just can't see them all in a couple of days but they're all ridiculously expensive (with the exception of the free zoo and conservatory, bravo Chicago). The timing of the weekend didn't help either, because all of the museums, the aquarium, etc. were mobbed with student groups as it was the last day of school before spring break so many schools decided it was a good field trip day. We did get the "go Chicago" card which saved us a lot of money and saved us from some of the long lines, but still, it was very cramped.

    We visited a few different places for food and spirits all over town in our travels. There wasn't much of anything around our hotel in the business district but the hotel itself was awesome, so we found meals and drinks in our travels. We found one bar that was excellent a few blocks away, the South Branch Tavern and Grill and one that was absolutely horrible, the Third Rail Tavern. I've never in my life felt so compelled to leave a minimum TIP and leave a note on the check to explain the lack of service that caused the minimum tip.

    The games were good on the ice and the production was typical. It seems the NCAA can't get the process that we all want ... FREEDOM to step out of the arena during the semifinals but not being forced out and back in in 50 minutes. It's not hard; I've been to all sorts of venues that do it. For a newer arena, I was disappointed with the food options inside the arena. I'm still disappointed with no beer; they have it in the suites, they have it outside ... get over yourselves NCAA. The attendance was also a joke. It was clearly on tickets sold or given away because it was the most empty I've seen a FF in years and the host fans didn't come back on Saturday. If there were 12,000 people in the arena Saturday, I'd be surprised.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Undefeated - 1956

    Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

  14. #14
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    28,928

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    If there were 12,000 people in the arena Saturday, I'd be surprised.
    There was definitely more than 12,000 in the arena on Saturday but I didn't think that the 19K+ announced was accurate. It was more full than I expected but I did still see some empty seats, mostly in the Notre Dame corner.

  15. #15
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    8,866

    Re: How was Chicago?

    As others have mentioned, the location of the United Center isn't great. It'd be nicer to have more bars close by that end up packed (but still able to get into) with hockey fans.

    The husband and I played tourist in Chicago, which made for a great vacation. Honestly, this time around the hockey and the Frozen Four were not the highlight of the trip.
    I like the touristy locations; DC, Philly, Chicago, Boston all have a ton of stuff to make a vacation out of the long weekend.

  16. #16
    Let's go Tech!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    3,484

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    There was definitely more than 12,000 in the arena on Saturday but I didn't think that the 19K+ announced was accurate. It was more full than I expected but I did still see some empty seats, mostly in the Notre Dame corner.
    The Notre Dame corner was empty, but elsewhere in the arena it was also empty, mainly in the lower bowl. I had a view of the officials' side from my seats and there were entire rows of 20 or more that were empty. I'm guessing they were sold/given to season ticket holders or were business purchases that were just not used. It reminded me of a game at Yankee Stadium where the upper deck is packed and nobody is sitting in the expensive seats. (On that note, I went to a White Sox game on Saturday and sat in the 4th row right behind the bat boy for a price of 1/50th of those same seats in Yankee Stadium.)
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Undefeated - 1956

    Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

  17. #17
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,761

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    If there were 12,000 people in the arena Saturday, I'd be surprised.
    Not sure where you got this, but this number is absurdly wrong. If the UC holds ~22K with SRO, the number they reported is about right. Nearly all sections, except for a few in the ND where the ND fans only could buy Thursday tickets, were full. There were also lots of people in the SRO areas at the top of the 300 level behind the last row.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  18. #18
    Let's go Tech!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    3,484

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    As others have mentioned, the location of the United Center isn't great. It'd be nicer to have more bars close by that end up packed (but still able to get into) with hockey fans.

    The husband and I played tourist in Chicago, which made for a great vacation. Honestly, this time around the hockey and the Frozen Four were not the highlight of the trip.
    I like the touristy locations; DC, Philly, Chicago, Boston all have a ton of stuff to make a vacation out of the long weekend.
    I agree with this. My girlfriend is into college hockey (more Clarkson than anything) and I usually tell her that Friday is hers to schedule and she fills the day with touristy type things... I usually give her daytime Saturday too, but she capitulated to go to the Sox game because our feet were tired from all the walking we did Friday. I was amazed at the high prices of everything in Chicago though. They really make NYC attractions look cheap (for those that always like to say that NYC is too expensive for a FF.)
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Undefeated - 1956

    Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

  19. #19
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,761

    Re: How was Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    The Notre Dame corner was empty, but elsewhere in the arena it was also empty, mainly in the lower bowl. I had a view of the officials' side from my seats and there were entire rows of 20 or more that were empty.
    Again, this is false. Here's a picture I took in the second period looking directly at the same area you're talking about.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9Ed2eHV0AIKoyf.jpg
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Face value for balcony seats was $175, clubs were $290 I think? Most of the resale market I saw when I was purchasing last week was right around face value. That compared to the 2X+ face value that tickets in Boston were going for in 2015.
    Is that for the final or all three games? Maybe it's good Maine is so bad with those prices.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •