How was Chicago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How was Chicago?

For those of us who didn't make it this year, how did Chicago do? One blow out and two great games, but how was the event?

Re: How was Chicago?

Originally posted by hky View Post
    For those of us who didn't make it this year, how did Chicago do? One blow out and two great games, but how was the event?
    I loved "25 or 6 To 4 ".
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      I loved "25 or 6 To 4 ".
      There really is no reason to post anything additional to this thread. Ralph wins!!!!

Comment

Chicago was great. Since UML did not make the trip, we were UMD fans for the weekend. Tried to get in the pre-game at the Odgen but there was a line about 20 deep and "one out, one in" policy in effect... so, we did the Billy Goat Tavern up the street. Folks were definitely having a good time. Did not do the Fan Fest. The United Center is a terrific arena. Easy in and easy out both nights. We partied in town prior to and took the CTA which went without a hitch.. Made it to Kitty O'Sheas to see Buccigross and Melrose show... again, overpacked... "one out, one in" in effect. Silver lining - stood in line with TJ's cousin from Red Deer who was excited about his cousin's Richter award that had just occurred. Made it to The Franklin Room for a Vieux Carre with some other UMD fans. So much to do in Chicago. A big thumbs up. Not to mention - the weather was great! Can't wait for another in the Windy City!

Comment

Had a great time, but not my favorite site. I said as soon as it was announced... but there's nothing BY the arena. I think that affected the sense of camaraderie and "smaller town" feel that Frozen Four often has. If it's your only vacation destination all year, I can see how that stuff would be less important, as you want somewhere that's good for a vacation, while I'm looking for somewhere that fits my idea of a good Frozen Four. Can't say I would spend a hockey-less vacation in Providence or Buffalo - but they were great Frozen Four sites. I prefer host cities with lots of stuff (hotels, bars, restaurants, things to do) within walking distance of the arena, and everything is more centralized and not spread out as much. Hard to do in many larger cities like Chicago.

Comment

Chicago was great, as a place to do stuff.

The UC was nice, but a touch remote. Sucks to have locals tell us to not take the train....

The organizers can go suck eggs. They kept the lower bowl to themselves instead of high priority ticket buyers, so instead of having low seats as we have since 2010, we had terrible nosebleed seats.

Kind of put me off a lot. We have considered not going anymore, and that cemented our stance. So unless we are going to the FF as a program, my family will not. It does help that the next 5 scheduled, we've been to before, and there's no lingering thing that makes us want to go. Although, I may go for Detroit since it's just the cost of tickets.

One other note- a common complaint in DC was lack of recognition that anything was going on. Same thing happened here, as I saw it. Other than some banners on Michigan Ave, nobody had any idea there was a tournament going on.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
              Had a great time, but not my favorite site. I said as soon as it was announced... but there's nothing BY the arena. I think that affected the sense of camaraderie and "smaller town" feel that Frozen Four often has. If it's your only vacation destination all year, I can see how that stuff would be less important, as you want somewhere that's good for a vacation, while I'm looking for somewhere that fits my idea of a good Frozen Four. Can't say I would spend a hockey-less vacation in Providence or Buffalo - but they were great Frozen Four sites. I prefer host cities with lots of stuff (hotels, bars, restaurants, things to do) within walking distance of the arena, and everything is more centralized and not spread out as much. Hard to do in many larger cities like Chicago.
              DC's rink is right downtown. New York has MSG right downtown. The Fleet Center is right downtown Boston. Heck, even Amilie Arena is downtown Tampa.

IMHO, Chicago missed the boat putting the UC so far west of town.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Kind of put me off a lot. We have considered not going anymore, and that cemented our stance. So unless we are going to the FF as a program, my family will not. It does help that the next 5 scheduled, we've been to before, and there's no lingering thing that makes us want to go. Although, I may go for Detroit since it's just the cost of tickets.
                I'm right there with you as far as being done with the FF unless BC makes it. Tickets were grossly expensive for this one and show no signs of stopping. And they are easy to get if you need them for far cheaper than face value outside the arena.

All that being said, I liked the FF in Chicago.

I still think it should be in Tampa every year.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  I'm right there with you as far as being done with the FF unless BC makes it. Tickets were grossly expensive for this one and show no signs of stopping. And they are easy to get if you need them for far cheaper than face value outside the arena.

All that being said, I liked the FF in Chicago.

I still think it should be in Tampa every year.
                  How much were they? I was surprised to read this morning in the BDN it didn't sell out.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I loved "25 or 6 To 4 ".
                    It was Craig Conroy's favorite song that the pep band played.
                    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      How much were they? I was surprised to read this morning in the BDN it didn't sell out.
                      Face value for balcony seats was $175, clubs were $290 I think? Most of the resale market I saw when I was purchasing last week was right around face value. That compared to the 2X+ face value that tickets in Boston were going for in 2015.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Chicago was great, as a place to do stuff.

The UC was nice, but a touch remote. Sucks to have locals tell us to not take the train....

The organizers can go suck eggs. They kept the lower bowl to themselves instead of high priority ticket buyers, so instead of having low seats as we have since 2010, we had terrible nosebleed seats.

One other note- a common complaint in DC was lack of recognition that anything was going on. Same thing happened here, as I saw it. Other than some banners on Michigan Ave, nobody had any idea there was a tournament going on.
                        There were signs throughout the pier and even a few on the north side.

As far as my experience, it was ho hum. The CTA has got to be the most disorganized public transportation system on the planet. There are so many attractions and sights that you just can't see them all in a couple of days but they're all ridiculously expensive (with the exception of the free zoo and conservatory, bravo Chicago). The timing of the weekend didn't help either, because all of the museums, the aquarium, etc. were mobbed with student groups as it was the last day of school before spring break so many schools decided it was a good field trip day. We did get the "go Chicago" card which saved us a lot of money and saved us from some of the long lines, but still, it was very cramped.

We visited a few different places for food and spirits all over town in our travels. There wasn't much of anything around our hotel in the business district but the hotel itself was awesome, so we found meals and drinks in our travels. We found one bar that was excellent a few blocks away, the South Branch Tavern and Grill and one that was absolutely horrible, the Third Rail Tavern. I've never in my life felt so compelled to leave a minimum TIP and leave a note on the check to explain the lack of service that caused the minimum tip.

The games were good on the ice and the production was typical. It seems the NCAA can't get the process that we all want ... FREEDOM to step out of the arena during the semifinals but not being forced out and back in in 50 minutes. It's not hard; I've been to all sorts of venues that do it. For a newer arena, I was disappointed with the food options inside the arena. I'm still disappointed with no beer; they have it in the suites, they have it outside ... get over yourselves NCAA. The attendance was also a joke. It was clearly on tickets sold or given away because it was the most empty I've seen a FF in years and the host fans didn't come back on Saturday. If there were 12,000 people in the arena Saturday, I'd be surprised.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                          If there were 12,000 people in the arena Saturday, I'd be surprised.
                          There was definitely more than 12,000 in the arena on Saturday but I didn't think that the 19K+ announced was accurate. It was more full than I expected but I did still see some empty seats, mostly in the Notre Dame corner.

Comment

As others have mentioned, the location of the United Center isn't great. It'd be nicer to have more bars close by that end up packed (but still able to get into) with hockey fans.

The husband and I played tourist in Chicago, which made for a great vacation. Honestly, this time around the hockey and the Frozen Four were not the highlight of the trip.
                            I like the touristy locations; DC, Philly, Chicago, Boston all have a ton of stuff to make a vacation out of the long weekend.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              There was definitely more than 12,000 in the arena on Saturday but I didn't think that the 19K+ announced was accurate. It was more full than I expected but I did still see some empty seats, mostly in the Notre Dame corner.
                              The Notre Dame corner was empty, but elsewhere in the arena it was also empty, mainly in the lower bowl. I had a view of the officials' side from my seats and there were entire rows of 20 or more that were empty. I'm guessing they were sold/given to season ticket holders or were business purchases that were just not used. It reminded me of a game at Yankee Stadium where the upper deck is packed and nobody is sitting in the expensive seats. (On that note, I went to a White Sox game on Saturday and sat in the 4th row right behind the bat boy for a price of 1/50th of those same seats in Yankee Stadium.)

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

Working...
                              X