Comment

Re: Providence College regrouping and on to St. Paul

O'Brien ranked first:

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...e-hughes-waugh
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

One new news item and one no one posted

First Divver reporting Ron Rolston will replace Torterella as volunteer assistant. He and Leaman worked as assistants at Harvard

Second there are a lot of brief stories on line plus a part of a Divver article about Garrett Gamez decision to give up hockey due to his medical issues. They are pointing to his medical issues his final year in juniors. Will be a student assistant this season
          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Tough way to end a career for Gamez but this way he is still in hockey

Comment

Our preview of PC. I am expecting big things from them this season

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/se...conway-hockey/
              "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                Our preview of PC. I am expecting big things from them this season

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/se...conway-hockey/
                Interesting how others view your team. Like your ultimate conclusion, though I think that defensive inexperience let's someone get ahead of them

I actually think the review is more off base. Underwhelming isn't the correct word. Might pick frustrating. All 3 reasons you gave to say they were underwhelming were reasons there was tempered expectations last year. Hawkey was a backup to Ellis after missing most of his last junior season due to a severe knee injury, and as a backup played less than the average backup. Walman too was only back due to serious injury ending the previous season and it was clear in the time period you describe he was at least getting confident the next move was not going to reinsure himself. The Forward you refer to saw 6 newcomers in the top 12 3 in top 6. Frustrating was especially with veteran defense they didn't steal an early season game or that the offense disappeared late at playoff time. Also keep in mind team ended up in NCAA's, ranked, and just 2 points out of first and looking at your 2016 prediction you pegged them for 5th and as the 5th Hockey East team in the NCAA which suggests they were seeded just as you expected.

The issue with defensive inexperience is somewhat mitigated. For whatever reason Florentino was the 7th defenseman. Though replacing his and Walman goas is an offensive issue. A point you missed is that PC added Tommy Davis as a 5th year graduate student. So he lessens the inexperience

I also think you have profiled Mirageas incorrectly. Like Walman he's a 3rd round draft pick and a true freshman. McKenzie as a 20 year old in drafted players was strictly a shutdown defenseman not expected to grow his game considerably once at PC. You gave Mirageas' regular season numbers which were largely at Bloomington where due their team makeup wanted him to be more defensive. The Steel turned him loose offensively. You overlook then he was tops in assists in playoffs. I would think he stands an excellent chance of producing Walman freshman numbers.

I also suspect Conger will play a larger role than O'Neil. I believe Conger is competing for a 2nd line spot. O'Neil has to fight off Lemos and Hennessy for a 3rd/4th center slot
                Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                  Interesting how others view your team. Like your ultimate conclusion, though I think that defensive inexperience let's someone get ahead of them

I actually think the review is more off base. Underwhelming isn't the correct word. Might pick frustrating. All 3 reasons you gave to say they were underwhelming were reasons there was tempered expectations last year. Hawkey was a backup to Ellis after missing most of his last junior season due to a severe knee injury, and as a backup played less than the average backup. Walman too was only back due to serious injury ending the previous season and it was clear in the time period you describe he was at least getting confident the next move was not going to reinsure himself. The Forward you refer to saw 6 newcomers in the top 12 3 in top 6. Frustrating was especially with veteran defense they didn't steal an early season game or that the offense disappeared late at playoff time. Also keep in mind team ended up in NCAA's, ranked, and just 2 points out of first and looking at your 2016 prediction you pegged them for 5th and as the 5th Hockey East team in the NCAA which suggests they were seeded just as you expected.

The issue with defensive inexperience is somewhat mitigated. For whatever reason Florentino was the 7th defenseman. Though replacing his and Walman goas is an offensive issue. A point you missed is that PC added Tommy Davis as a 5th year graduate student. So he lessens the inexperience

I also think you have profiled Mirageas incorrectly. Like Walman he's a 3rd round draft pick and a true freshman. McKenzie as a 20 year old in drafted players was strictly a shutdown defenseman not expected to grow his game considerably once at PC. You gave Mirageas' regular season numbers which were largely at Bloomington where due their team makeup wanted him to be more defensive. The Steel turned him loose offensively. You overlook then he was tops in assists in playoffs. I would think he stands an excellent chance of producing Walman freshman numbers.

I also suspect Conger will play a larger role than O'Neil. I believe Conger is competing for a 2nd line spot. O'Neil has to fight off Lemos and Hennessy for a 3rd/4th center slot
                  I appreciate the insight. I obviously do not cover their recruiting trail very closely, so I merely reported what I found in my research for him, I didn't really look into before-and-after the trade for Mirageas. I also had no idea about Tommy Davis, so thanks for pointing that out. Nevertheless, I still expect big things from PC this season, I think Leaman is a fantastic coach who will get the most out of all of his defensemen, including the freshmen. If not for Norm, Leaman would be the perennial COY contender in my opinion.

I really appreciate the feedback, we don't get a lot of Providence interaction (even though I live there for grad school), so it's interesting to hear the perspective of a fan who watches them game in, game out. Good luck this season.
                  "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Mark Divers column in today's ProJo tells alot about this years D

Comment

Reading what Divver has written about this team and Leaman really believe in Spenser Young who I thought was a borderline Hockey East defenseman with very little speed and doesn't bring much to the table.

My thoughts are that Vimal needs to be in the lineup for every game and same thing with Duhaime being on the second line. The yo yo moves with these two were baffling last year.

I think Leaman needs to play Molloy-Hill in about 25 percent of the games this year as Hawkey and previous goalies under Leaman need to be rested more. It cost Providence a few games early last season as Hawkey hadn't seen much game action in a few years while getting put right into the fire.
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Also, this is the third year since PC won the National Championship so the bump from winning the National Title should be here from a recruiting standpoint and I haven't see any bump yet. So many kids are actually decommitting from PC.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          Also, this is the third year since PC won the National Championship so the bump from winning the National Title should be here from a recruiting standpoint and I haven't see any bump yet. So many kids are actually decommitting from PC.
                          I can’t say I’ve followed any recent decommits, but I see three Providence recruits on today’s Central Scouting watch list and I count NINE NHL draft picks on your current roster. They might not be the 1st and 2nd rounders BC and BU are used to bringing in, but can you honestly say recruiting at PC hasn’t improved in recent years?

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                            I can’t say I’ve followed any recent decommits, but I see three Providence recruits on today’s Central Scouting watch list and I count NINE NHL draft picks on your current roster. They might not be the 1st and 2nd rounders BC and BU are used to bringing in, but can you honestly say recruiting at PC hasn’t improved in recent years?
                            Here are a few

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...B_OEM_ID=13500

Three more mentioned here

https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...31034246782977

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                              PC had four guys drafted on the team in 2005-2006 which was .500 so yea they have a few more guys picked but very few high level guys since Janko and Gillies. Coincidence that Barr has brought in more high skilled guys at UMass quickly while Leaman/Borek isn't bringing that in?

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                                PC had four guys drafted on the team in 2005-2006 which was .500 so yea they have a few more guys picked but very few high level guys since Janko and Gillies. Coincidence that Barr has brought in more high skilled guys at UMass quickly while Leaman/Borek isn't bringing that in?
                                Umass' guys were recruited before barr got there, but who am I to rain on your thunderstorm of negativity
                                Last edited by UML Puck Hawk; 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM.
                                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X