Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College regrouping and on to St. Paul

Hey, Clarkson. Here we are again.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
      Would be interesting to know how many teams that won the second game ended up winning the championship the next night
      Of the 34 Hockey East tournaments 32 have had the semifinals back-to-back with the championship game the following day 30 times and 2 days later the other two (as part of HockeyFest). Of the 30 times the championship game was the next day the winner of the early game has won 21 times and the winner of the late game has won 9 times, with the winner of the early game winning both times the game was 2 days later. I have created a simple spreadsheet showing each semifinal, champion and if the early or late semifinal winner won.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        Of the 34 Hockey East tournaments 32 have had the semifinals back-to-back with the championship game the following day 30 times and 2 days later the other two (as part of HockeyFest). Of the 30 times the championship game was the next day the winner of the early game has won 21 times and the winner of the late game has won 9 times, with the winner of the early game winning both times the game was 2 days later. I have created a simple spreadsheet showing each semifinal, champion and if the early or late semifinal winner won.

Sean
        Make it a Thursday/Saturday set up and late games aren't an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Street View Post
          Make it a Thursday/Saturday set up and late games aren't an issue
          Good luck getting as many people there on a Thursday night as a Friday...if you're traveling (Maine, Vermont, CT) you're not going to drive home at Midnight and go to work the next day. Some of us can't take two days off whenever we feel like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Didn't I read that Joe Bertagna was interviewed Friday night and said next season the top 8 teams make it and bottom three are done at the end of the regular season? Or am I misremembering?
            Please, please, please tell me this is accurate
            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Please, please, please tell me this is accurate
              He said it would be talked about between the coaches, but nothing definitive.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                He said it would be talked about between the coaches, but nothing definitive.
                Thanks. Doesn't sound promising. Likely more of the same.
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Any insight on how the All Tourney team is chosen? I’m guessing media vote. The announcement said something about it including all tournament games. I didn’t see all the games, and neither did any media member. So how was Oettinger chosen? Were his total stats better than Hawkey’s? Clearly Oettinger had more pressure on him but I thought Hawkey played the better final game in part because PC was so out of gas in the third. I didn’t have any problem with the rest of the picks.

Comment

Any questions about the Bridgeport area let me know. There is really only one main Holiday Inn downtown which I believe is usually the host hotel "sold out". If you are traveling from RI I recommend staying in the Residence inn, Hampton Inn or Springhill Suites in Milford, about ten minutes from the rink driving. Ralph and Richies near the arena is a good Italian place for food and drinks. There is a brewery near the arena called Brewport, that has very good pizza. There are a few other restaurants downtown that have been used for pregaming. Parking is usually ten dollars in the large surface lot across from the rink, I never park in the attached garage so have no clue of the situation there. There is ample street parking in Bridgeport, especially on weekends, take care to carefully read the street parking signs as they vary street to street. You can also park in the lot behind Ralph and Richies if you patronise the place. Good luck this weekend.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Ice View Post
                      Any insight on how the All Tourney team is chosen? I’m guessing media vote. The announcement said something about it including all tournament games. I didn’t see all the games, and neither did any media member. So how was Oettinger chosen? Were his total stats better than Hawkey’s? Clearly Oettinger had more pressure on him but I thought Hawkey played the better final game in part because PC was so out of gas in the third. I didn’t have any problem with the rest of the picks.
                      Yes, the players on the all-tournament team are selected from all tournament games, although most of the players on the team come from the two finalists. In 2001 Mike Pandolfo was selected to be on the team, despite BU being eliminated in the quarterfinals by Providence in 3 games, as he led all players with 5 goals and tied for first in points. I believe it is the only time a player from a team not to make the semifinals has been selected.

As for Oettinger vs Hawkey, besides winning the title game in a shutout Jake lead all goalies in save percentage with 0.945% (Hawkey was seventh with 0.926%), was second in GAA with 1.84 (Pantano was first with 1.75; Hawkey was third with 1.93), was first in both shots faced with 146 and saves with 138 (Hawkey was fifth in both with 108 shots faced and 100 saves), first in wins with 4 and tied with Woll with 1 shutout. So yes, Oettinger had the better tournament stats.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Good luck getting as many people there on a Thursday night as a Friday...if you're traveling (Maine, Vermont, CT) you're not going to drive home at Midnight and go to work the next day. Some of us can't take two days off whenever we feel like it.
                        I agree, plus there might be scheduling issues with the Bruins/Celtics on the Thursday. I think the best and fairest option would be to start the first semifinal game on Friday at 2 pm, then have the second game start at 5 pm. Those who are traveling would likely take the day off regardless of which game their team plays, and any Boston teams playing should be able to get most of their fan base there for either game. With the current setup, attendance is marginal at best. I was at both games this weekend, and even for the final the upper sections were almost completely empty. They announced 10,000 for the attendance, but in reality there was probably 8,500 there, if that. Granted if two Boston schools were playing there may have been more.
                        Last edited by uncle_cliff; 03-19-2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_cliff View Post
                          I agree, plus there might be scheduling issues with the Bruins/Celtics on the Thursday. I think the best and fairest option would be to start the first semifinal game on Friday at 2 pm, then have the second game start at 5 pm. Those who are traveling would likely take the day off regardless of which game their team plays, and any Boston teams playing should be able to get most of their fan base there for either game. With the current setup, attendance is marginal at best. I was at both games this weekend, and even for the final the upper sections were almost completely empty. They announced 10,000 for the attendance, but in reality there was probably 8,500 there, if that. Granted if two Boston schools were playing there may have been more.
                          Agreed. But you know what? TV will nix that idea. The ratings probably aren't fabulous anyway and if you move it out of prime time they will be worse. Of course, that could also incentivize more people to go, like in the "old days" when you HAD to go if you wanted to see the game because it wasn't on TV and there wasn't any internet.

Comment

ESPN analysts went out on a long limb predicting the Frozen Four this year. It's like they looked at the top four teams and went with it. If it's that cut and dried then why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                              ESPN analysts went out on a long limb predicting the Frozen Four this year. It's like they looked at the top four teams and went with it. If it's that cut and dried then why bother.
                              I think we're all on board that Denver is going to do this again.
                              There's no reason to be so anti-fun with the rest of the tournament. I can see BU taking out Cornell, MTU upsetting Notre Dame, or Air Force upsetting SCSU. Not likely, but possible.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                I think we're all on board that Denver is going to do this again.
                                There's no reason to be so anti-fun with the rest of the tournament. I can see BU taking out Cornell, MTU upsetting Notre Dame, or Air Force upsetting SCSU. Not likely, but possible.
                                I can see some upsets as well. Even a slim chance makes it fun. The had 6 analysts pretty much picking the favorites without anyone going out on a limb. It was funny seeing all six picking roughly the same thing. Why bother having 6 folks saying the same thing? It was funny in a sad kind of way.

Comment

Working...
                                X