Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 215

Thread: Future Frozen Four sites

  1. #121
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,594

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Wow that is worse than the North Carolina issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  2. #122
    Shut up hockey puck
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa.....Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    9,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    The new Milwaukee arena will have ice making capabilities, it just won't have the admirals.
    Would the cost for the time, equipment and manpower to put in ice be worth it for three games over two days?

  3. #123
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,033

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by thebrain View Post
    Would the cost for the time, equipment and manpower to put in ice be worth it for three games over two days?
    Not my call, just stating facts that ice events will be able to be there if the venue chooses to bid...seeing that this is in Wisconsin, I'm sure someone involved will think its worth it...might plan on having some events in March/April the same year as an successful bid to make it worth it for a longer stretch...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  4. #124
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,002

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Yeah, you could easily parlay that into future Frozen Fours, regionals, and tournaments if it's successful in Milwaukee.

    The equipment is a one-time purchase with some ongoing maintenance. Target Center does it. I can't imagine why Milwaukee couldn't.

  5. #125
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,033

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, you could easily parlay that into future Frozen Fours, regionals, and tournaments if it's successful in Milwaukee.

    The equipment is a one-time purchase with some ongoing maintenance. Target Center does it. I can't imagine why Milwaukee couldn't.
    That's a great comparison with the Frozen Faceoff. A little earlier in the year, but also successful while causing an NBA team to be away from home for a long weekend.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  6. #126
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,002

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    What's a high-end ice system cost these days? $2-$6 million?

    I helped spec one out at my old company for TCF bank stadium when they were looking at doing outdoor games as well as a local rink whose system was starting to fail and was obsolete. But those were quite a while ago now and weren't tier one systems.

  7. #127
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,741

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    That's a great comparison with the Frozen Faceoff. A little earlier in the year, but also successful while causing an NBA team to be away from home for a long weekend.
    Eh, a team being out of town for ~5-6 days isn't at all uncommon in either the NBA or NHL. You still get the same number of home games so it's not an enormous deal. Yes, they don't get the same number of home games down the stretch, but you do get more home games earlier to build up a lead in the standings.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  8. #128
    College hockey nerd
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    217

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, you could easily parlay that into future Frozen Fours, regionals, and tournaments if it's successful in Milwaukee.

    The equipment is a one-time purchase with some ongoing maintenance. Target Center does it. I can't imagine why Milwaukee couldn't.
    Target Center is a dump. The NCHC needs to find a better venue... like Pepsi Center or get the Excel Energy Center. There's a reason nobody else plays hockey there outside of the Frozen Faceoff.

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of Schottenstein Center
    Posts
    5,532

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Eh, a team being out of town for ~5-6 days isn't at all uncommon in either the NBA or NHL. You still get the same number of home games so it's not an enormous deal. Yes, they don't get the same number of home games down the stretch, but you do get more home games earlier to build up a lead in the standings.
    Yup. You're talking a 2-3 game road trip. Perfectly normal. In the lead-up to this year's FF, the Hawks took a trip that included games in LA & Anaheim. That fits your prototype rather exactly. The trip didn't go well, but the earlier results were good enough to lock down the top spot in the conference.

    Now had the Hawks been on the playoff bubble going into the last weekend... well, there would have some complaining, to be sure. Maybe I would have been one of the complainers. But such complaints really wouldn't have had merit. By definition, roughly half the teams are going to finish the regular season on the road. And at least in the West, going on the road is usually going to mean more than a 1 game trip.

    Another factor: If you're willing to put the basketball floor on top of the ice, you can convert back and forth in a matter of hours. This is what's done at the Schott; and I assume what's done at buildings where the NHL & NBA share.

    Maybe that's a tough sell if there's no permanent hockey tenant. But suppose you put in ice for about a month. You could stage some high school games, maybe have multiple performances of an ice show, and so on. Doing it that way you'd have a better chance of good ice by the time the FF rolls around.

    OK, the NBA team isn't going to be thrilled with any of that. But if the arena is sinking millions into an ice-making system, I've got to believe they'd at least consider these ideas.

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of Schottenstein Center
    Posts
    5,532

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Riz View Post
    Target Center is a dump. The NCHC needs to find a better venue... like Pepsi Center or get the Excel Energy Center. There's a reason nobody else plays hockey there outside of the Frozen Faceoff.
    Lose the word "dump" and I'm with you. Hockey sightlines are a problem at Target Center. With the B1G & the WCHA tournaments moving back to campus sites, the NCHC has a golden opportunity to move the its show to The X. Much, much better hockey building. Assuming they're not bound by contractual obligations at the current site, the NCHC would be crazy not grab the opportunity.

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northwest of Boston
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Wow that is worse than the North Carolina issue.
    The NCAA is nothing but an extension of the ultra liberal university system in this country which cannot accept any other viewpoints. They twist the true context and make it appear as something disgusting. However not as disgusting as your location(use of capital letters only) Nick. There are many who hold strong moral values who find such innuendoes vile and there is far more discrimination against them and their views by those who claim to be tolerant. Nick, your true colors shine through the veil.

  12. #132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    framingham, ma
    Posts
    5,145

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    I agree with the criticality of that point in the season angle.
    However when it comes to comparing the sellout crowds (and their drinking habits) between the NHL / NBA games with the Frozen Four, it is not a zero sum game where one is traded for the other. The arenas are going to host the same number of home NHL and NBA games regardless of when the other one-time events occur. It's a matter of when, not if, the pro games are scheduled. The FF revenue is additional, regardless. What it might need to be traded for is some other one-time event (Circus, WWE, Concerts, Trade Shows, etc.)
    Yes, I agree with your point that it's additional revenue, though it's not clear to me how much additional revenue is involved. It's three games, but I'd guess the revenue for the Thursday games looks more like one game. Additionally, for the revenue from the three games, you tie up the venue for several days. You need to melt and re-freeze the ice twice (if you want to put your logos back on the playing surface), and it'd be difficult to schedule anything meaningful on Friday, even if it's permitted by the NCAA agreement. You're tying up your venue for close to a week for those three games. It must be worthwhile, or venues wouldn't continue to submit bids. I just don't know how much. Concessions are hurt by beer sales, but probably get somewhat of a bump because of the captive audience on Thursday. It's not like, say, the HE tournament for the TD Garden; the prep for that is no different than for a regular Bruins game.

    And if it means trading a home game in October for a home game in March, I'd guess that most NHL people would prefer March.

    But I was thinking mainly of the criticality of that point in the season. Two years ago, the Bruins were on a road trip when the FF was in Boston. They tanked, and dropped out of the playoffs. I was waiting for someone to blame it on the FF. To do so publicly would have made them look whiny and stupid, but I have no idea what the Bruins said and thought in private. Apparently, it didn't affect their willingness to submit another bid. And to be honest I am encouraged; the previous Boston FF got some bad reviews regarding cooperation from the Garden. The last one apparently went very well.

  13. #133
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,594

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by BC/HE View Post
    The NCAA is nothing but an extension of the ultra liberal university system in this country which cannot accept any other viewpoints. They twist the true context and make it appear as something disgusting. However not as disgusting as your location(use of capital letters only) Nick. There are many who hold strong moral values who find such innuendoes vile and there is far more discrimination against them and their views by those who claim to be tolerant. Nick, your true colors shine through the veil.
    Oh... Ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by CLS View Post
    You need to melt and re-freeze the ice twice (if you want to put your logos back on the playing surface)
    The ice doesn't get completely melted.

    I had a conversation once with the ice manager for Ritter Arena at RIT when they hosted the D3 women's championship the last year RIT women were D3. It was quite interesting.

    They receive the vinyl logos from the NCAA. All they do is melt the area where the logos are going to go. And even then, they don't melt entirely to the cement. They actually place the logos on top of the remaining ice.

    Then, they flood those areas again followed by running the Zamboni over the entire surface many, many times to make sure everything is evened out.

    Granted, it takes a while, but they don't melt the entire ice surface.

    To reverse the process is even simpler. Melt again, rip off the logos exposing the original logos, flood, and run Zamboni lots of times.

    And if it means trading a home game in October for a home game in March, I'd guess that most NHL people would prefer March.
    However, like someone else pointed out, half the teams have to be on the road the last weekend. It's simple math. :-)

    So, you simply make the FF year the year you have to be on the road the final weekend.

  15. #135
    The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,608

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by BC/HE View Post
    The NCAA is nothing but an extension of the ultra liberal university system in this country which cannot accept any other viewpoints. They twist the true context and make it appear as something disgusting. However not as disgusting as your location(use of capital letters only) Nick. There are many who hold strong moral values who find such innuendoes vile and there is far more discrimination against them and their views by those who claim to be tolerant. Nick, your true colors shine through the veil.
    What a pant load of crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

    Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    190

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by BC/HE View Post
    The NCAA is nothing but an extension of the ultra liberal university system in this country which cannot accept any other viewpoints. They twist the true context and make it appear as something disgusting. However not as disgusting as your location(use of capital letters only) Nick. There are many who hold strong moral values who find such innuendoes vile and there is far more discrimination against them and their views by those who claim to be tolerant. Nick, your true colors shine through the veil.
    ... what

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    75

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    I wasn't thrilled about Buffalo being a future site until we ate at Kentucky Greg's in Buffalo on our way home from Chicago. I plan to eat every meal there.

  18. #138
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,741

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Faced View Post
    I wasn't thrilled about Buffalo being a future site until we ate at Kentucky Greg's in Buffalo on our way home from Chicago. I plan to eat every meal there.
    I don't doubt that there's excellent food up in Buffalo, but what else is there?
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  19. #139
    * * * * * SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Roslindale
    Posts
    23,359

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by BC/HE View Post
    The NCAA is nothing but an extension of the ultra liberal university system in this country which cannot accept any other viewpoints. They twist the true context and make it appear as something disgusting. However not as disgusting as your location(use of capital letters only) Nick. There are many who hold strong moral values who find such innuendoes vile and there is far more discrimination against them and their views by those who claim to be tolerant. Nick, your true colors shine through the veil.

    fun fact: intolerance of intolerance is actually quite tolerant.
    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

    Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by shrader
    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    framingham, ma
    Posts
    5,145

    Re: Future Frozen Four sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    The ice doesn't get completely melted.

    I had a conversation once with the ice manager for Ritter Arena at RIT when they hosted the D3 women's championship the last year RIT women were D3. It was quite interesting.

    They receive the vinyl logos from the NCAA. All they do is melt the area where the logos are going to go. And even then, they don't melt entirely to the cement. They actually place the logos on top of the remaining ice.

    Then, they flood those areas again followed by running the Zamboni over the entire surface many, many times to make sure everything is evened out.

    Granted, it takes a while, but they don't melt the entire ice surface.

    To reverse the process is even simpler. Melt again, rip off the logos exposing the original logos, flood, and run Zamboni lots of times.
    Thanks for the education. Didn't know you could selectively melt areas.



    However, like someone else pointed out, half the teams have to be on the road the last weekend. It's simple math. :-)

    So, you simply make the FF year the year you have to be on the road the final weekend.
    And of course if your team sucks, you're probably better off if they're on a roadie to Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •