Future Frozen Four sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
    Nearby host isn't a requisite -- UAH hosted Tampa 2012 and Wisconsin hosted Tampa 2016. UAH could host another Southern locale like Raleigh (but preferrably Nashville if they ever decide to want one). I'd love to see Raleigh host a Frozen Four simply because of proximity, but unfortunately I think we'd be the only ones.
    And you don't even have to have a hockey team. Didn't Navy host the DC Frozen Four?
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Re: Future Frozen Four sites

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Staples would be the place to do it in California. Tons to do by the arena with it being next to LA Live. But as others have said, scheduling is the issue. Kicking out the Kings, Lakers, and Clippers (assuming the latter hasn't moved to Seattle by then) for basically a week would be tough.

Side note: Staples is an awesome arena in terms of amenities, but the seating is atrocious. I've never been to an arena with more uncomfortable seats. They pack you in like sardines.
      I thought the seats at the United Center were very narrow. Also I not sure if it were mention earlier here but the NCAA said it would announce future sites on April 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
        I thought the seats at the United Center were very narrow. Also I not sure if it were mention earlier here but the NCAA said it would announce future sites on April 17.
        April 18.

And the announcement will include many sports, divisions, genders, and even regional sites.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          It's not so much the warm weather factor to me, just the actual cities. Not trying to offend anyone but Detroit and Buffalo back to back years...woof. Chicago isn't necessarily warm in April but much more attractive than Detroit and Buffalo.
          Certainly huge cities like Chicago are going to have plenty to do to appease different tastes.

Last time in Detroit, I stayed downtown. Was pleasantly surprised by how much was there. And, I spent the off day at the Henry Ford Museum which is a great place to see. I'll probably do it again.

Buffalo of course has Niagara Falls. They also have the Pierce Arrow museum which is supposed to be excellent (I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't been there). A pretty good art museum. And, if you want to drive the hour eastward to Rochester, there's the George Eastman House, which is a fantastic museum for photographic history, the Susan B. Anthony House, and the Museum of Play.

And you can't go wrong with the chicken wings in Buffalo. :-) Or, a beef on wick.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Agreed. I guess Buffalo is tolerable due to Niagara Falls and proximity to Toronto.
            And the "ballet" across the river... :-)
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Russell, it sounds like you would enjoy the FF being in Siberia

Comment

Recall navy hosted in 09
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Russell, it sounds like you would enjoy the FF being in Siberia
                  If it's a Frozen Four, yes. :-)

But, never in Cincinnati again!
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    Buffalo of course has Niagara Falls. They also have the Pierce Arrow museum which is supposed to be excellent (I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't been there). A pretty good art museum. And, if you want to drive the hour eastward to Rochester, there's the George Eastman House, which is a fantastic museum for photographic history, the Susan B. Anthony House, and the Museum of Play.

And you can't go wrong with the chicken wings in Buffalo. :-) Or, a beef on wick.
                    ... or the 4:00 AM last call !
                    Can't we all just get along?
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

• Re: Future Frozen Four sites

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      Ugh! (except Boston). Add me to the underwhelmed list. And very disappointed not to see attractive, warm weather destinations like Tampa, Nashville, Sunrise (FL Panthers), Dallas, and Washington.
                      Then call those cities / arenas and convince them to submit bids.
                      Many on here are bemoaning the cities that they wish were chosen, but nearly all of them share one thing in common - no bids. You can't win it if you're not in it.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                        Then call those cities / arenas and convince them to submit bids.
                        Many on here are bemoaning the cities that they wish were chosen, but nearly all of them share one thing in common - no bids. You can't win it if you're not in it.
                        Makes one wonder if the NCAA is not making it an easy sell to put in a bid.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Add me to the list of those that were underwhelmed with the list... I get Detroit given that FFFF was an abject disaster because of the facility, but with Little Caesar's Arena opening, I get it. Pretty meh on the others having lived in Boston for a number of years, having it recently in the Burgh, and well, Buffalo is Buffalo.

The one location I was really hoping for was for someone to put in a bid for Nashville... I would go for the full week and not just jet in on Wednesday and leave Sunday morning... Someone made a comment that the SEC hoops tournament and concerned about a conflict... FF runs during the NCAA hoops tourneys, so there should be no conflict there... I too was hoping for a return to Denver...

I like the idea of Portland, OR, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. San Jose and Dallas would be an interesting choice, too...

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Seriously?! I'm not even from the Twin Cities and I know this is a totally bogus statement.

Well, if you are going to Ritter, you'll end up in Rochester, NY on the RIT campus. I'll buy you a beer, because you won't have much women's hockey to watch.

But I think you would rather go to RiDDer...
                            Speaking of the Ridder, Mrs. Ridder died yesterday.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                              I think another big drawback is the "home rink" angle. While St. Paul is a huge advantage to Minnesota and the TD Garden is a huge advantage to the Boston area schools, at least they're not literally someone's home rink. I think you'd hear b******g if OSU made the FF as a low seed.
                              I know this factor is very important to you, and I do respect your viewpoint. But in the context of the Frozen Four , it's truly an argument in search of an issue.

A Schottenstein Center bid will not be forthcoming. As for the rest of college hockey? To the best of my knowledge there's only one other home rink big enough to host a FF -- Kohl Center in Madison. While I'm the furthest thing from a UW insider, I'd wager that UW will bid for Milwaukee or even Tampa again rather than Madison.

You can relax on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                I know this factor is very important to you, and I do respect your viewpoint. But in the context of the Frozen Four , it's truly an argument in search of an issue.

A Schottenstein Center bid will not be forthcoming. As for the rest of college hockey? To the best of my knowledge there's only one other home rink big enough to host a FF -- Kohl Center in Madison. While I'm the furthest thing from a UW insider, I'd wager that UW will bid for Milwaukee or even Tampa again rather than Madison.

You can relax on this one.
                                The Admirals moved to the old Mecca Arena in Milwaukee. The new arena would have make ice for a Frozen Four. A regional would work well there though.

I can see a lot of arenas not wanting to give up a Wednesday through Saturday to an event which will bring in roughly 18,000 people on two of those nights with no beer money coming in.

It gets really tough to schedule if you have multiple tenants. NBA teams will place a hold on an arena for weeks at a time. I would think an NHL team would do the same. It must be crazy trying to book Staples Center with two NBA teams and an NHL team.

Comment

Working...
                                X