Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Future Frozen Four sites

This space for sale

Re: Future Frozen Four sites

I am not thrilled with this list either, other than Boston. I have missed only 4 FF since 1989 and two were Detroit (on purpose), Milwaukee (also on purpose) and Pittsburgh (work conflict). I am disappointed that Tampa is not in the mix since both of their events were outstanding. Also disappointed that it hasn't returned to Denver or D.C.. As I look at this list I can't imagine going to Detroit or Buffalo.

Regardless, the cities are only part of the mix since there needs to be a host school to get the ball rolling. Tampa didn't put in a bid and then contact Wisconsin to be the host, it works the other way around. It's a lot of work for the school since they need to do the detailed items to make the show work. No school interest means no bid for a city.

As for the cold-weather city comment, it has only been in warm cities 3 times - Tampa X2 and Anaheim. And it was cold and miserable in Anaheim. The only other "warm" cities I would consider were Columbus and St. Louis - both of which I would go back to.

Opposite Girl

If it ever goes back to Columbus, then Ohio St. can't dictate that the games be played on campus. They need to be downtown.

This space for sale

Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    Just about everyone I talked to at the FF was upset about these sites. 5 straight cold weather cities, all in the same general area with the exception of Boston. It definitely shows the influence of the B1G on the changing scope of college hockey. I want to go to Minnesota but honestly, even the friends I found from UMTC couldn't tell me what there is to do in the Twin Cities other than the hockey tournament. I'm thinking about skipping the men's tourney next year and going to see the women's in Ritter instead. At least my team will have a chance to make it there.
    This is not something to blame on the B1G (while there are other things where blame is earned). I am guessing either UM or MSU are the hosts for Detroit. Last time in Pittsburgh it was Robert Morris that hosted and Buffalo was a combo of Niagara and Canisius. So unless Penn State is the host for Pittsburgh, there is only 1 B1G team that is a host (The Minnesota bid was awarded prior to B1G hockey).

As for your UMTC friends, I am guessing they are either new to the state, or don't have imagination. Plenty to do in the Twin Cities, you just have to ask the right people!

How about NYC?

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    How about NYC?
    That would require MSG to care about college hockey in April...not likely

Well i never thought they'd care at all but are having more and more RS games.

I love (goal) lamp

Would love to see it in Raleigh, PNC is a very nice arena and there's a lot of northeast and midwest ex-pats here, there are always as many or more Red Wings fans at the games vs. the Hurricanes so it could be well attended. Then again the Canes have the worst attendance in the NHL and it could be a massive flop, also no school close enough to host it.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Well i never thought they'd care at all but are having more and more RS games.
    You have a point but I believe this time of year the schedule is way more packed bc of wrapping up hockey/basketball bc the circus was in town?

Quote Originally Posted by doorcoach View Post
    Supposedly the NCAA hit prospective hosts with new requirements, including pieces of concessions & parking - could be why Tampa passed, Nashville too.
    I don't know if Nashville is thinking about it any time soon, anyway. Bridgestone Arena has the SEC men's basketball tournament almost every year until 2025. They might have gone for 2022 (when the SEC goes to Tampa for a year), but it won't be until for at least 2026 if Nashville wants to give the Frozen Four a shot.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Would love to see it in Raleigh, PNC is a very nice arena and there's a lot of northeast and midwest ex-pats here, there are always as many or more Red Wings fans at the games vs. the Hurricanes so it could be well attended. Then again the Canes have the worst attendance in the NHL and it could be a massive flop, also no school close enough to host it.
    Nearby host isn't a requisite -- UAH hosted Tampa 2012 and Wisconsin hosted Tampa 2016. UAH could host another Southern locale like Raleigh (but preferrably Nashville if they ever decide to want one). I'd love to see Raleigh host a Frozen Four simply because of proximity, but unfortunately I think we'd be the only ones.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

I love (goal) lamp

Quote Originally Posted by UAHStatman View Post
    Nearby host isn't a requisite -- UAH hosted Tampa 2012 and Wisconsin hosted Tampa 2016. UAH could host another Southern locale like Raleigh (but preferrably Nashville if they ever decide to want one). I'd love to see Raleigh host a Frozen Four simply because of proximity, but unfortunately I think we'd be the only ones.
    I've worn Tech jerseys every time I've gone to Canes games and I always get at least one comment, so I think there's a few that would go, lol.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Just like to echo others' sentiments that this list is a letdown. If Nashville and Portland, OR were indeed bidders, it's a bummer at least one of them wasn't picked--would much prefer them over any of the 4 cities that won (even selfishly accounting for Boston helping BU recruiting and being about 5 miles round trip travel). I'm meh on LA and KC--but no less meh than Detroit/Buffalo/the 'Burgh, and at least KC would be new and LA hasn't hosted since 1999. Not sure if Denver or DC bid, but those would have been huge upgrades, too.
    Twitter: @buking21

Is there a way to find out who submitted bids? Hearing the NCAA changed the process to get a bigger cut of the $ and some venues backed off. I'm wondering if they are reaching the tipping point on ticket prices too. I was hoping for Tampa, Denver, Dallas, DC.

D-1 Hockey Nut

I think it is interesting. People bunch together on their opinions. AKA herd mentality. We have this same thread along with the one about regional attendance every year. When push comes to shove, all of this is driven by $. The first driver is the NCAA and then the host cities putting together a bid. If the terms get tighter the options are going to shrink. When the second half of the season rolls around in each of these upcoming seasons, they'll be plenty of people lined up to attend the games. It's a great event (and holding steady in it's popularity) no matter where it is hosted. Much of that has to do with the depth of talent.
    Go Pioneers!

I'm still holding out for Denver one of these days. That was a great F4 experience. Of course, if it were in St Paul every year, I wouldn't mind.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I'm still holding out for Denver one of these days. That was a great F4 experience. Of course, if it were in St Paul every year, I wouldn't mind.
    Denver, D.C., and Tampa were all great sites and I'd love to return. Denver is hazy for me, but I seem to recall plenty to do. D.C. was great and Tampa is a blast as well (plus, the warm weather is nice). I'm not wild about the next few sites, even though Boston is close. Looking forward to St. Paul.

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Just like to echo others' sentiments that this list is a letdown. If Nashville and Portland, OR were indeed bidders, it's a bummer at least one of them wasn't picked--would much prefer them over any of the 4 cities that won (even selfishly accounting for Boston helping BU recruiting and being about 5 miles round trip travel). I'm meh on LA and KC--but no less meh than Detroit/Buffalo/the 'Burgh, and at least KC would be new and LA hasn't hosted since 1999. Not sure if Denver or DC bid, but those would have been huge upgrades, too.

First limey, then shrader and now you coming in from the cold to post?????? Hope all is well!! Come back to the BU thread sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Denver, D.C., and Tampa were all great sites and I'd love to return. Denver is hazy for me, but I seem to recall plenty to do. D.C. was great and Tampa is a blast as well (plus, the warm weather is nice). I'm not wild about the next few sites, even though Boston is close. Looking forward to St. Paul.
    What he said.

If the NCAA is demanding a bigger cut of the pie and the organizers still have to make a profit, how high will the ticket prices go to meet those requirements??

not particularly bad

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    If the NCAA is demanding a bigger cut of the pie and the organizers still have to make a profit, how high will the ticket prices go to meet those requirements??
    I hadn't thought about that yet.

Thread Information