Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Future Frozen Four sites

Super Serial

Re: Future Frozen Four sites

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Why not just open up on campus locations? Much more appropriately sized.
    Get the coaches to agree.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...akes-advantage

Found this interesting:

While hosting regionals is a profitable venture for UND, it isn't a significant amount of money, Faison said. Hosting Frozen Fours can be more profitable.

The men's hockey tournament is one of the few NCAA events that turns a profit.

Of the 90 events the NCAA hosts, the only ones that make money are Division I men's hockey, men's basketball, men's lacrosse, baseball and wrestling.

This space for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Well I think the rules need to change and the NCAA needs to expect less $ to allow other venues to host.

Here is my breakdown of big enough neutral venues:
    CO: Denver (too big), Loveland
    ND: Fargo
    SD: Sioux Falls, Rapid City
    NE: Omaha, Lincoln, Kearney
    MN: St Paul (too big), Theif River Falls
    IA: Sioux City, Waterloo, Des Moines, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids
    WI: Madison, Green Bay, Milwaukee
    MO: St Louis (too big), Independence
    IL: Moline, Rockford, Rosemont, Bloomington
    MI: Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Plymouth, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit (too big)
    OH: Cleveland (too big), Cincinnati, Toledo, Columbus (too big), Youngstown
    IN: Indianapolis, Fort Wayne
    PA (Apparently): Johnstown, Reading, Allentown, Hershey, Wilke-Barre
    WV: Wheeling

Did I miss anything? Now how many of those are near a university?
    The Verizon Center in Mankato holds about 6,000 for Hockey which would be appropriate given the attendance at the regionals the last few years.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGopher View Post
    The Verizon Center in Mankato holds about 6,000 for Hockey which would be appropriate given the attendance at the regionals the last few years.
    except that is the home rink of Minnesota State...I'm not including those rinks...I realize now after some research that quite a few of the rinks I listed are too small to meet the NCAA requirement of a capacity of 5000 and room for media of 75.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Well I think the rules need to change and the NCAA needs to expect less $ to allow other venues to host.

Here is my breakdown of neutral venues:
    CO: Denver, Loveland
    NE: Omaha, Ralston, Lincoln, Kearney
    MN: St Paul, Theif River Falls, Minneapolis
    IA: Sioux City, Waterloo, Des Moines, Urbandale, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids
    WI: Madison, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Milwaukee
    MO: St Louis, Independence
    IL: Moline, Rockford, Rosemont, Bloomington, Chicago
    MI: Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Plymouth, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit
    OH: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, Columbus, Youngstown
    PA (Apparently): Johnstown, Reading, Allentown, Hershey, Wilke-Barre, Erie, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

EDITS: Updated to reflect building I previously listed that are below the 5000 capacity requirement (struck through) and changed the "too big" arenas to underlined.
    updated...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Super Serial

Here is my breakdown of neutral venues:
    CO: Denver, Loveland
    NE: Omaha, Ralston, Lincoln, Kearney
    MN: St Paul, Theif River Falls, Minneapolis
    IA: Sioux City, Waterloo, Des Moines, Urbandale, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids
    WI: Madison, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Milwaukee
    MO: St Louis, Independence
    IL: Moline, Rockford, Rosemont, Bloomington, Chicago
    MI: Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Plymouth, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit
    OH: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, Columbus, Youngstown
    PA (Apparently): Johnstown, Reading, Allentown, Hershey, Wilke-Barre, Erie, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

EDITS: Updated to reflect building I previously listed that are below the 5000 capacity requirement (struck through) and changed the "too big" arenas to underlined.
    It goes beyond arena capacity, the surrounding area has to have a sufficient number of hotel rooms for three or four teams and coaches that have meeting rooms and video capabilities, and food facilities. So in essence these have to be just about full-service hotels. There also have to be rooms for TV crew, visiting media, referees, and NCAA officials as well. So you can't throw everyone in the local Super 8. There has to be four locker rooms on site, there has to be sufficient A/V hookups and camera angles in the facility, sufficient replay camera setups, etc. I have no idea how many home sites out west do or don't meet that criteria, but it's not as simple as have X number of seats. Going on campus would likely force some schools to buck up and give their facilities necessary upgrades to remain eligible to host. I suppose a solution to the facility problem could be if the 1 seed in a region doesn't have sufficient capability to host, the 2 seed would get it.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    It goes beyond arena capacity, the surrounding area has to have a sufficient number of hotel rooms for three or four teams and coaches that have meeting rooms and video capabilities, and food facilities. So in essence these have to be just about full-service hotels. There also have to be rooms for TV crew, visiting media, referees, and NCAA officials as well. So you can't throw everyone in the local Super 8. There has to be four locker rooms on site, there has to be sufficient A/V hookups and camera angles in the facility, sufficient replay camera setups, etc. I have no idea how many home sites out west do or don't meet that criteria, but it's not as simple as have X number of seats. Going on campus would likely force some schools to buck up and give their facilities necessary upgrades to remain eligible to host. I suppose a solution to the facility problem could be if the 1 seed in a region doesn't have sufficient capability to host, the 2 seed would get it.
    I know there is more to it than that...but the capacity of the arena is the only one that is really easy enough to look up when I get bored at work But you have to be honest with yourself that this is a pretty short list and doesn't even take into account availability. Green Bay would be a good venue for MTU to host at and they have in the past but it didn't go well and the Resch Center now does the WIAA Girl's State Tournament there on what is typically Regionals weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...akes-advantage

Found this interesting:

While hosting regionals is a profitable venture for UND, it isn't a significant amount of money, Faison said. Hosting Frozen Fours can be more profitable.

The men's hockey tournament is one of the few NCAA events that turns a profit.

Of the 90 events the NCAA hosts, the only ones that make money are Division I men's hockey, men's basketball, men's lacrosse, baseball and wrestling.
    I thought swimming was also in that category. Or, at least used to be.

the NCAA needs to expect less $ to allow other venues to host
    have you met the NCAA?

updated...
    There's an arena up in broomfield, CO that used to have an echl team, seats about 8500 IIRC. Not sure if they lay ice though. It's fairly new, and has decent amenities.

There's also the big arena in KC, but way too big for a regional.

Edit: there's also the Denver Coliseum, but that place is a fkn dump. It did have a CHL team for a few years recently.

r
    Last edited by cetihcra; 04-19-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Drunkard

SG: Milwaukee actually does have an appropriate sized arena. The Admirals currently play in a (granted: old) building that seats about 9,000.

Quote Originally Posted by cetihcra View Post
    There's an arena up in broomfield, CO that used to have an echl team, seats about 8500 IIRC. Not sure if they lay ice though. It's fairly new, and has decent amenities.

There's also the big arena in KC, but way too big for a regional.

Edit: there's also the Denver Coliseum, but that place is a fkn dump. It did have a CHL team for a few years recently.

r
    i guess I could have listed both but I went with Independence, MO bc it's appropriate size in great KC.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    SG: Milwaukee actually does have an appropriate sized arena. The Admirals currently play in a (granted: old) building that seats about 9,000.
    its listed twice, for the NBA arena and the "new" admirals arena.

Sub

Thread Information