Future Frozen Four sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Last time I was in Columbus, it took me about 15 minutes to walk from the Schott to High St, and from there, there are plenty of places to eat, drink & be merry. Are people just that lazy? I wonder what those 100,000 fans do across the street at the football games? Do they have nothing to do?
    Maybe they do that thing called "tailgating" ?

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
      Maybe they do that thing called "tailgating" ?
      Ever been to Columbus? Those bars a 15 minute walk from the stadium are packed. Same at Alabama, Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Michigan State, Green Bay, Detroit or Dallas.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Future Frozen Four sites

Ever been to Columbus? Those bars a 15 minute walk from the stadium are packed. Same at Alabama, Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Michigan State, Green Bay, Detroit or Dallas.
        Tailgating.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
          2018 St. Paul
          2019 Detroit
          2020 Buffalo
          2021 Boston
          Ugh! (except Boston). Add me to the underwhelmed list. And very disappointed not to see attractive, warm weather destinations like Tampa, Nashville, Sunrise (FL Panthers), Dallas, and Washington.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

It's not so much the warm weather factor to me, just the actual cities. Not trying to offend anyone but Detroit and Buffalo back to back years...woof. Chicago isn't necessarily warm in April but much more attractive than Detroit and Buffalo.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              It's not so much the warm weather factor to me, just the actual cities. Not trying to offend anyone but Detroit and Buffalo back to back years...woof. Chicago isn't necessarily warm in April but much more attractive than Detroit and Buffalo.
              Detroit is pretty active. Can't wait to visit the new arena!
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Detroit is pretty active. Can't wait to visit the new arena!
                Midtown is an awesome area of Detroit. A lot activity going on the area now. There has been tremendous investment in the area.

Comment

Not trying to offend anyone but Detroit and Buffalo back to back years...woof. Chicago isn't necessarily warm in April but much more attractive than Detroit and Buffalo.
                  Agreed. I guess Buffalo is tolerable due to Niagara Falls and proximity to Toronto.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    Does anyone know for sure that the KC bid was for real? Just curious why the NCHC would bid for a city that is outside their own geographical footprint (although not by much, < 3 hrs from Omaha) and definitely a non-traditional college (or any kind of) hockey town.
                    I think that who sponsors is pretty much meaningless for many venues. It's probably that it's really the venue behind the bid, and they go out and recruit a "sponsor" and do most of the work that the sponsors used to do. When the FF was in places like Albany and Providence, maybe it made sense to have a sponsor, but the NHL sized venues are staffed to handle events much larger than the FF.

I have only been to two, both in Boston. But wasn't Anaheim a disaster in '99? I know a lot can change but I really have no desire to go to LA...ever. For anything.
                    Well, one thing that's changed since is the success of a warm weather site (Tampa) twice. I think LA is different though, because of the long flights and time zones, particularly for people from the east coast.

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    I'm not all that optimistic that Columbus will be chosen again. But you're correct that Nationwide Arena & the Arena District would be a much better fit for the Frozen Four.

Also, any worries about the Tournament returning to the Schottenstein Center can be set aside. Everyone I've spoken with here in Columbus agrees that Nationwide would be the way to go, including some who just might have the ear of the decision-makers. For the 2005 tournament, "NHL Quality Building on a College Campus" was a successful sales pitch. But after the fact, everyone understood that having adjacent restaurants, bars & hotels was much more important.

I literally don't know if an OSU/Columbus bid was submitted this time around. But at least one previous bid has been submitted offering Nationwide as the site. "Dictate" is the wrong word. But if future bids are submitted, you can safely assume that Nationwide Arena will be specified.
                    I think another big drawback is the "home rink" angle. While St. Paul is a huge advantage to Minnesota and the TD Garden is a huge advantage to the Boston area schools, at least they're not literally someone's home rink. I think you'd hear b******g if OSU made the FF as a low seed.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Agreed. I guess Buffalo is tolerable due to Niagara Falls and proximity to Toronto.
                    We enjoyed Niagra-on-the-Lake enough on the off-Friday that we returned there on Saturday morning and a year or so later.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      And Jim's Steak-Out.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        Pittsburgh was OK, but not somewhere I want to repeat so soon.
                        There's plenty to do in Pittsburgh, and I've always liked it. (Granted, I'm a bit biased because I got engaged in that city.)

I certainly enjoyed their FF more than Philly, because the arena is downtown with plenty to do around it.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                          I want to go to Minnesota but honestly, even the friends I found from UMTC couldn't tell me what there is to do in the Twin Cities other than the hockey tournament.
                          Seriously?! I'm not even from the Twin Cities and I know this is a totally bogus statement.

I'm thinking about skipping the men's tourney next year and going to see the women's in Ritter instead. At least my team will have a chance to make it there.
                          Well, if you are going to Ritter, you'll end up in Rochester, NY on the RIT campus. I'll buy you a beer, because you won't have much women's hockey to watch.

But I think you would rather go to RiDDer...
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
                            This is not something to blame on the B1G (while there are other things where blame is earned). I am guessing either UM or MSU are the hosts for Detroit. Last time in Pittsburgh it was Robert Morris that hosted and Buffalo was a combo of Niagara and Canisius.
                            The Buffalo FF was hosted by the MAC, predecessor to Atlantic Hockey.

I'm guessing Pittsburgh will be hosted by Robert Morris again only because the Penguins have been big supporters of that program, and it's the Penguins organization that approached Robert Morris the first time to put together a bid.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

I'm not too excited about the proposed sites. My plan is to go to St. Paul and then decide if I want to continue going to FFs. I've never been to DC so that would be fun. Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh - meh. Portland, OR would be nice - I could actually drive there! But it would be an empty arena. There are so many fans on the east coast that probably wouldn't travel to the west coast.
                              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                You have a point but I believe this time of year the schedule is way more packed bc of wrapping up hockey/basketball bc the circus was in town?
                                You do realize the circus is dead...?
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X