Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Future Frozen Four sites

Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Re: Future Frozen Four sites

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom of 2 View Post
    According to the selection committee, Las Vegas is not eligible for consideration because of legalized sports betting
    I was just about to suggest that may be the reason. NCAA can't tempt everyone with sports books so close. Of course, they have no problem helping to sweep pedo and rape scandals at major football schools under the rug ASAP. It's all about their bottom line.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by doorcoach View Post
    Supposedly the NCAA hit prospective hosts with new requirements, including pieces of concessions & parking - could be why Tampa passed, Nashville too.
    If the NCAA is looking for a cut of the concessions, you can bet there will be beer sales

Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    Maybe for a regional not a final
    Final. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Oregon or Maine?
    Oregon.

Super Serial

The NCAA, and most leagues, are slowing easing on shying away from hosting events in Las Vegas. With the NFL going there, that'll likely open the door for the NCAA to start hosting some events there.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I was just about to suggest that may be the reason. NCAA can't tempt everyone with sports books so close. Of course, they have no problem helping to sweep pedo and rape scandals at major football schools under the rug ASAP. It's all about their bottom line.
    Correct....$$$$$ talks and those big schools look down on smaller schools and hockey. Except now maybe the Lesser then 10/ 7 Team big10 will advocate there wants that will only be in there best interest.

Veteran

Would have liked to see at least one NEW site in there.

Portland, OR is a great city - that could've been fun.

Holding court

This new set of Frozen Four sites is awful if true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Registered Person

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    This new set of Frozen Four sites is awful if true.
    What cities are missing that would change your feelings away from awful?

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by billmich88888 View Post
    Tampa, Nashville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles.... etc. I understand these cities have to make bids, etc, but either way, as a fan I'm not thrilled with the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Registered Person

Tampa, Nashville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles.... etc. I understand these cities have to make bids, etc, but either way, as a fan I'm not thrilled with the list.
    So your list contains all places far away from college hockey programs, fair enough

Opposite Girl

So your list contains all places far away from college hockey programs, fair enough
    No, his list contains places with hockey arenas in areas/cities of interest. Tampa has hosted twice and both were extremely well attended and received. Nashville would be great. New, stuff to do on the off day, etc. New-ish arena. Growing interest in hockey. I think it would be the next logical place to host. LA would be tough as I don't think the NCAA could ever get the Staples Center for the allotted time and you don't want to go to the Forum. Same issues as Chicago (too far removed). Vegas could be interesting. So would Portland, OR.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Detroit makes complete sense with the new arena. Beyond that, I'm disappointed that they haven't chose to go to new places. Buffalo and Pittsburgh just don't jump out at me personally as college hockey and Pittsburgh doesn't have the stuff that Boston does to deserve to be involved in some kind of rotation. It seems like its possible that they are setting up some kind of 7-year rotation now since St Paul (2018), Pittsburgh (2020), and Boston (2022) will have all been 7 years since hosting. If you assume Tampa gets 2023, that would also be 7 years. Personally, I just don't see how Pittsburgh deserves to be in that rotation. I also think that Denver and Washington DC should have gotten better looks this round, along with Glendale and Portland.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    2018 St. Paul
    2019 Detroit
    2020 Buffalo
    2021 Boston
    Source??

Members of the NCAA Ice Hockey committee stated on Friday (to some of us long timte FF ticket holders) that no such announcements of the future site decisions have been made, but should be some time relatively soon. You posted this about 4 hours after we heard from them. I don't think they meant that soon
    The NCAA website still says:
    Future Dates & Sites

Be sure to plan ahead and join us for the next Men's Frozen Four. More information about the future dates and sites of the Division I Men's Ice Hockey National Championship will be added April 18, so please check back for more information.

Saint Paul, Minn. | Xcel Energy Center | April 5-7, 2018

Note: Regardless, I hope you're right. Those three new ones are all easy driving distance for me.
    Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 04-10-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    Source??

Members of the NCAA Ice Hockey committee stated on Friday (to some of us long timte FF ticket holders) that no such announcements of the future site decisions have been made, but should be some time relatively soon. You posted this about 4 hours after we heard from them. I don't think they meant that soon
    The NCAA website still says:
    Future Dates & Sites

Be sure to plan ahead and join us for the next Men's Frozen Four. More information about the future dates and sites of the Division I Men's Ice Hockey National Championship will be added April 18, so please check back for more information.

Saint Paul, Minn. | Xcel Energy Center | April 5-7, 2018

Note: Regardless, I hope you're right. Those three new ones are all easy driving distance for me.
    Yes nothing is official yet and won't be until the 18th? I believe, but there have been multiple sources reporting on that list you quoted including the Boston Globe.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    It seems like its possible that they are setting up some kind of 7-year rotation now since St Paul (2018), Pittsburgh (2020), and Boston (2022) will have all been 7 years since hosting. If you assume Tampa gets 2023, that would also be 7 years.
    Actually, the future dates as reported in this thread make the intervals: St. Paul 7 yrs, Pittsburgh 9 years, Boston 6 years, Detroit 9 years, Buffalo 17 years. Hardly a rotation (not that Buffalo would be part of any sort of rotation anyhow).
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Veteran

Would have loved to see Nashville make it. Agree with Scarlet that LA would have similar problems to Chicago, plus 2 NBA teams and one NHL team to schedule around. Even Kansas City would have been better than some of the repeats.

I do like Buffalo as a site, and my issues with Detroit were strictly due to the football field. Pittsburgh was OK, but not somewhere I want to repeat so soon.

Super Serial

Nashville and Denver are the two that I'm most surprised not to see. Buffalo is the one I'm least excited to see, Pittsburgh to a lesser degree. DC would be another good option over those two. A cycle including St. Paul and Boston interspersed with some group of four or five of the other big college/NHL cities such as Denver, Detroit, and Chicago along with destination/vacation cities like Nashville, DC, Tampa, and down the road Las Vegas or LA would be a nice way to go.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 04-10-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Yes nothing is official yet and won't be until the 18th? I believe, but there have been multiple sources reporting on that list you quoted including the Boston Globe.
    Correct...it was reported several times over Twitter during the FF.

Also, regardless of accuracy, thumbs down to the NCAA for allowing this to get leaked prior to making the announcement.

Let's go Tech!

Just about everyone I talked to at the FF was upset about these sites. 5 straight cold weather cities, all in the same general area with the exception of Boston. It definitely shows the influence of the B1G on the changing scope of college hockey. I want to go to Minnesota but honestly, even the friends I found from UMTC couldn't tell me what there is to do in the Twin Cities other than the hockey tournament. I'm thinking about skipping the men's tourney next year and going to see the women's in Ritter instead. At least my team will have a chance to make it there.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

Thread Information