Future Frozen Four sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Frozen Four sites

Then we either go forward with North Dakota trying to host every year and Pennsylvania being the "midwest" or the system gets an overhaul. Which is more likely?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Then we either go forward with North Dakota trying to host every year and Pennsylvania being the "midwest" or the system gets an overhaul. Which is more likely?
      The former.

Comment

It'll take awhile, but eventually I think we'll see the latter win out.

It's happening right now with the conference tournaments. At some point I expect the NCHC to go the way of the WCHA and B1G and go on-campus.

People are not going to travel great distances to see their team play in a regional. It's expensive. It's on tv, or streaming. It's short notice.

Regionals work in the densely populated Northeast where a large number of the teams are located within a half day's drive of every possible regional site, but it won't work for everyone west of Penn State.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well I think the rules need to change and the NCAA needs to expect less $ to allow other venues to host.

Here is my breakdown of neutral venues:
          CO: Denver, Loveland
          ND: Fargo
          SD: Sioux Falls, Rapid City
          NE: Omaha, Ralston, Lincoln, Kearney
          MN: St Paul, Theif River Falls, Minneapolis
          IA: Sioux City, Waterloo, Des Moines, Urbandale, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids
          WI: Madison, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Milwaukee
          MO: St Louis, Independence
          IL: Moline, Rockford, Rosemont, Bloomington, Chicago
          MI: Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Plymouth, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit
          OH: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, Columbus, Youngstown
          IN: Indianapolis, Fort Wayne
          PA (Apparently): Johnstown, Reading, Allentown, Hershey, Wilke-Barre, Erie, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia
          WV: Wheeling

Did I miss anything? Now how many of those are near a university?

EDITS: Updated to reflect building I previously listed that are below the 5000 capacity requirement (struck through) and changed the "too big" arenas to underlined.
          Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Why not just open up on campus locations? Much more appropriately sized.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Why not just open up on campus locations? Much more appropriately sized.
              Get the coaches to agree.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...akes-advantage

Found this interesting:

While hosting regionals is a profitable venture for UND, it isn't a significant amount of money, Faison said. Hosting Frozen Fours can be more profitable.

The men's hockey tournament is one of the few NCAA events that turns a profit.

Of the 90 events the NCAA hosts, the only ones that make money are Division I men's hockey, men's basketball, men's lacrosse, baseball and wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Well I think the rules need to change and the NCAA needs to expect less $ to allow other venues to host.

Here is my breakdown of big enough neutral venues:
                  CO: Denver (too big), Loveland
                  NE: Omaha, Lincoln, Kearney
                  MN: St Paul (too big), Theif River Falls
                  IA: Sioux City, Waterloo, Des Moines, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids
                  WI: Madison, Green Bay, Milwaukee
                  MO: St Louis (too big), Independence
                  IL: Moline, Rockford, Rosemont, Bloomington
                  MI: Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Plymouth, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit (too big)
                  OH: Cleveland (too big), Cincinnati, Toledo, Columbus (too big), Youngstown
                  PA (Apparently): Johnstown, Reading, Allentown, Hershey, Wilke-Barre

The Verizon Center in Mankato holds about 6,000 for Hockey which would be appropriate given the attendance at the regionals the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
                    The Verizon Center in Mankato holds about 6,000 for Hockey which would be appropriate given the attendance at the regionals the last few years.
                    except that is the home rink of Minnesota State...I'm not including those rinks...I realize now after some research that quite a few of the rinks I listed are too small to meet the NCAA requirement of a capacity of 5000 and room for media of 75.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

PA (Apparently): Johnstown, Reading, Allentown, Hershey, Wilke-Barre, Erie, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

EDITS: Updated to reflect building I previously listed that are below the 5000 capacity requirement (struck through) and changed the "too big" arenas to underlined.
                      updated...

Comment

It goes beyond arena capacity, the surrounding area has to have a sufficient number of hotel rooms for three or four teams and coaches that have meeting rooms and video capabilities, and food facilities. So in essence these have to be just about full-service hotels. There also have to be rooms for TV crew, visiting media, referees, and NCAA officials as well. So you can't throw everyone in the local Super 8. There has to be four locker rooms on site, there has to be sufficient A/V hookups and camera angles in the facility, sufficient replay camera setups, etc. I have no idea how many home sites out west do or don't meet that criteria, but it's not as simple as have X number of seats. Going on campus would likely force some schools to buck up and give their facilities necessary upgrades to remain eligible to host. I suppose a solution to the facility problem could be if the 1 seed in a region doesn't have sufficient capability to host, the 2 seed would get it.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          It goes beyond arena capacity, the surrounding area has to have a sufficient number of hotel rooms for three or four teams and coaches that have meeting rooms and video capabilities, and food facilities. So in essence these have to be just about full-service hotels. There also have to be rooms for TV crew, visiting media, referees, and NCAA officials as well. So you can't throw everyone in the local Super 8. There has to be four locker rooms on site, there has to be sufficient A/V hookups and camera angles in the facility, sufficient replay camera setups, etc. I have no idea how many home sites out west do or don't meet that criteria, but it's not as simple as have X number of seats. Going on campus would likely force some schools to buck up and give their facilities necessary upgrades to remain eligible to host. I suppose a solution to the facility problem could be if the 1 seed in a region doesn't have sufficient capability to host, the 2 seed would get it.
                          I know there is more to it than that...but the capacity of the arena is the only one that is really easy enough to look up when I get bored at work But you have to be honest with yourself that this is a pretty short list and doesn't even take into account availability. Green Bay would be a good venue for MTU to host at and they have in the past but it didn't go well and the Resch Center now does the WIAA Girl's State Tournament there on what is typically Regionals weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...akes-advantage

Found this interesting:

While hosting regionals is a profitable venture for UND, it isn't a significant amount of money, Faison said. Hosting Frozen Fours can be more profitable.

The men's hockey tournament is one of the few NCAA events that turns a profit.

Of the 90 events the NCAA hosts, the only ones that make money are Division I men's hockey, men's basketball, men's lacrosse, baseball and wrestling.
                            I thought swimming was also in that category. Or, at least used to be.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

the NCAA needs to expect less $ to allow other venues to host
                              have you met the NCAA?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                updated...
                                There's an arena up in broomfield, CO that used to have an echl team, seats about 8500 IIRC. Not sure if they lay ice though. It's fairly new, and has decent amenities.

There's also the big arena in KC, but way too big for a regional.

Edit: there's also the Denver Coliseum, but that place is a fkn dump. It did have a CHL team for a few years recently.

r
                                Last edited by cetihcra; 04-19-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X