Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Frozen Four sites

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    If it ever goes back to Columbus, then Ohio St. can't dictate that the games be played on campus. They need to be downtown.
    I'm not all that optimistic that Columbus will be chosen again. But you're correct that Nationwide Arena & the Arena District would be a much better fit for the Frozen Four.

Also, any worries about the Tournament returning to the Schottenstein Center can be set aside. Everyone I've spoken with here in Columbus agrees that Nationwide would be the way to go, including some who just might have the ear of the decision-makers. For the 2005 tournament, "NHL Quality Building on a College Campus" was a successful sales pitch. But after the fact, everyone understood that having adjacent restaurants, bars & hotels was much more important.

I literally don't know if an OSU/Columbus bid was submitted this time around. But at least one previous bid has been submitted offering Nationwide as the site. "Dictate" is the wrong word. But if future bids are submitted, you can safely assume that Nationwide Arena will be specified.

Comment

Originally posted by King View Post
      LA hasn't hosted since 1999.
      Los Angeles has never hosted the FF.
      Anaheim did. Despite the fact that their baseball team sold out and named themselves after another city, ask anyone there and nearly all of them will tell you they live in Anaheim, not in a suburb of LA. They're not even in the same county, for that matter.
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I'm still holding out for Denver one of these days. That was a great F4 experience. Of course, if it were in St Paul every year, I wouldn't mind.
        Not going to happen sadly. Pepsi center and the city just doesn't care enough. It's really a shame because the arena is awesome, it's right in the middle of the city, and there's TONS to do on an off day.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          Correct...it was reported several times over Twitter during the FF.

Also, regardless of accuracy, thumbs down to the NCAA for allowing this to get leaked prior to making the announcement.
          I read all the articles from the cities believed to be hosting those next 4 FFs. They all cited the Boston Herald story. That story said the same thing described in this thread with the exception of the following line: "Los Angeles has also been rumored to be in the mix and could possibly bump one of the candidates at the last instant, although Boston's place in the rotation is believed to be safe."
          So maybe the list we've been talking about isn't 100% guaranteed.

I, for one, hope it doesn't change at the last minute, but we'll see for sure in 1 week. I have little desire to see a FF in Southern California again.
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by King View Post
            at least KC would be new
            Does anyone know for sure that the KC bid was for real? Just curious why the NCHC would bid for a city that is outside their own geographical footprint (although not by much, < 3 hrs from Omaha) and definitely a non-traditional college (or any kind of) hockey town.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              I read all the articles from the cities believed to be hosting those next 4 FFs. They all cited the Boston Herald story. That story said the same thing described in this thread with the exception of the following line: "Los Angeles has also been rumored to be in the mix and could possibly bump one of the candidates at the last instant, although Boston's place in the rotation is believed to be safe."
              So maybe the list we've been talking about isn't 100% guaranteed.

I, for one, hope it doesn't change at the last minute, but we'll see for sure in 1 week. I have little desire to see a FF in Southern California again.
              I would love to see the list change, just don't really care to see it changed to LA.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I have only been to two, both in Boston. But wasn't Anaheim a disaster in '99? I know a lot can change but I really have no desire to go to LA...ever. For anything.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  I have only been to two, both in Boston. But wasn't Anaheim a disaster in '99? I know a lot can change but I really have no desire to go to LA...ever. For anything.
                  I don't think it was a disaster, but much like Chicago, the rink isn't near anything. And I believe the Thursday games were still separate admission at that time. Given all the traffic around Disney, I would imagine it was difficult to find a good place to grab food between games. Or find places to go, like a downtown area.

I wouldn't mind going back to California, but as we discussed earlier, the Staples Center would be difficult to schedule. What about San Jose?

Comment

I don't think it was a disaster, but much like Chicago, the rink isn't near anything. And I believe the Thursday games were still separate admission at that time. Given all the traffic around Disney, I would imagine it was difficult to find a good place to grab food between games. Or find places to go, like a downtown area.

I wouldn't mind going back to California, but as we discussed earlier, the Staples Center would be difficult to schedule. What about San Jose?
                    Staples would be the place to do it in California. Tons to do by the arena with it being next to LA Live. But as others have said, scheduling is the issue. Kicking out the Kings, Lakers, and Clippers (assuming the latter hasn't moved to Seattle by then) for basically a week would be tough.

Side note: Staples is an awesome arena in terms of amenities, but the seating is atrocious. I've never been to an arena with more uncomfortable seats. They pack you in like sardines.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

The amount of nothing to do by Honda Center is leaps and bounds beyond the area by the United Center. Anaheim's not even a city, it's just a large town that has a couple of buildings - a terrible place to host a FF. Staples would be an excellent choice if they wanted to go to SoCal and would present a much better experience for everyone going.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

What about San Jose?
                        I'd be down for that. Accessible even from San Francisco, which is a hell of a town.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Went to a Shark's game on our honeymoon in 2014. The SAP center would be great for games (nice wide concourse for sales and meet ups and good sight-lines), but the rink doesn't have much to offer for food and there isn't much in the area to do. Proximity to SF is a selling point as Nick mentioned, but traffic was a nightmare. That said, I'd totally go.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            I'd be down for that. Accessible even from San Francisco, which is a hell of a town.
                            amen
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                              Not going to happen sadly. Pepsi center and the city just doesn't care enough. It's really a shame because the arena is awesome...
                              Seriously? I'm not trying to be cute, but I honestly can't remember anything notable about Pepsi Center. In my mind, it was perfectly satisfactory, but that's it. I've got much clearer memories of Magness, which I thought was a great college hockey venue.

Disclosure: Playing in the Posters' Game at Magness was both fun & meaningful. Conversely, I was rather dissatisfied with my FF seat location that year. (That was before the NCAA allowed us to choose specific seats.) It could be that my personal experiences are coloring my memories of Pepsi Center. If so, speak up. I'm ready to learn.

...it's right in the middle of the city...
                              Definitely a plus. And definitely an advantage over United Center, as per your comment on the Chicago thread.

... and there's TONS to do on an off day.
                              Clearly correct. We went skiing on the off day and had a great time. Even on rental gear.

Don't get me wrong. I'm 100% in favor of another Denver FF. And if the local powers-that-be are blocking the possibility, that's a shame. But the idea that Pepsi Center gives Denver an edge over other NHL cities? That's a new one on me.
                              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 04-11-2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                I'm not all that optimistic that Columbus will be chosen again. But you're correct that Nationwide Arena & the Arena District would be a much better fit for the Frozen Four.

Also, any worries about the Tournament returning to the Schottenstein Center can be set aside. Everyone I've spoken with here in Columbus agrees that Nationwide would be the way to go, including some who just might have the ear of the decision-makers. For the 2005 tournament, "NHL Quality Building on a College Campus" was a successful sales pitch. But after the fact, everyone understood that having adjacent restaurants, bars & hotels was much more important.

I literally don't know if an OSU/Columbus bid was submitted this time around. But at least one previous bid has been submitted offering Nationwide as the site. "Dictate" is the wrong word. But if future bids are submitted, you can safely assume that Nationwide Arena will be specified.
                                Last time I was in Columbus, it took me about 15 minutes to walk from the Schott to High St, and from there, there are plenty of places to eat, drink & be merry. Are people just that lazy? I wonder what those 100,000 fans do across the street at the football games? Do they have nothing to do?
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X