X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    No doubt but it looks like Barr is a good recruiter although prior asiistants were also credited. Jury out on Smith.
    You are like a woman scorned since you won't be able to blow SA anymore.....

Comment

Today is 13 April 2017. There are 171 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is a good point. Of course Lee hired a firm with no hockey expertise and ended up hiring a guy with almost an identical winning % from a lesser league. Bad process.
        To be fair, what firm would you have hired if you were instructed to outsource the search?

Also, how do we know the winning percentage wasn't a result of the league? Some thrive as the big fish in a small pond, some need "maneuvering room" (pun intended). Also, some strategies work against some teams and don't work vs. others, case in point our seeming ease of playing Yale in Appert's "hey-day" (if you can call it that), coupled with the difficulty of facing Cornell.

Also, I don't blame them for picking who they did on the basis of being a HC veteran.

Comment

No doubt but it looks like Barr is a good recruiter although prior asiistants were also credited. Jury out on Smith.
          Last I checked, we weren't hiring a recruiter; we were hiring a coach. The last guy could recruit, but couldn't coach.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            To be fair, what firm would you have hired if you were instructed to outsource the search?

Also, how do we know the winning percentage wasn't a result of the league? Some thrive as the big fish in a small pond, some need "maneuvering room" (pun intended). Also, some strategies work against some teams and don't work vs. others, case in point our seeming ease of playing Yale in Appert's "hey-day" (if you can call it that), coupled with the difficulty of facing Cornell.

Also, I don't blame them for picking who they did on the basis of being a HC veteran.
            I wouldnt have hired a firm, I would have surrounded myself with hockey people like the alumni who wanted to be a part of it but were shut out.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Last I checked, we weren't hiring a recruiter; we were hiring a coach. The last guy could recruit, but couldn't coach.
              You talk about strategy, there is very little strategy in hockey, there are systems. Best team that walks off the bus usually wins; that's the role of recruiting. Basically it's everything.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                You are like a woman scorned since you won't be able to blow SA anymore.....
                Post of the year. How don't you get banned. let play golf at Fairways next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  You talk about strategy, there is very little strategy in hockey, there are systems. Best team that walks off the bus usually wins; that's the role of recruiting. Basically it's everything.
                  Which is what is wrong with hockey today. Too many systems, too much micromanagement. We're stifling creativity.

I have one goal -- at the end of the game scoring one more goal than you.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Which is what is wrong with hockey today. Too many systems, too much micromanagement. We're stifling creativity.
                    I have one goal -- at the end of the game scoring one more goal than you.

Either too many systems or the wrong ones implemented especially at the wrong time.

Let them play

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold and former Rensselaer coach Seth Appert have been added to the Team USA coaching staff for the upcoming World Championship, May 5-21 in Germany and Paris. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...t-Added-to.php
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            No problem, Pizza in Troy is horrid.
                            Does anyone remember Papa Leo's? Horrible!
                            "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

I wouldnt have hired a firm, I would have surrounded myself with hockey people like the alumni who wanted to be a part of it but were shut out.
                              And if what the AD said is factual and there is no reason not to believe him, who of amongst this group of Alumni would have had the time to fact check the 170 coaches that applied? So a firm was used that didn't have a background in hockey so what. They didn't hire the coach. Based on that logic then the AD shouldn't have hired the coach because he doesn't have a background in hockey.

You can assemble the best talent in the world and without proper coaching you won't win. People keep talking about Ben Barr like he's the second coming. He's good at recruiting but can he coach? Has no experience as a Head Coach so maybe he should stop being a recruiter and go and be a head coach. That's what Jim Montgomery did and look where he is today. As for systems, that's what's ruining hockey, too many systems. Let the players play. And strategy can be used in games coaches need to know how to coach in order to employ it. Systems are just a weigh of stifling creativity. You don't need to develop players skills when all you are doing is employing a TRAP or LEFT WING Lock like RPI did this year.

Comment

If recruiting is basically everything was Seth bad because his recruits won 8 games?
                                If recruiting is basically everything why do they have coaches behind the benches every game?

Comment

Working...
                                X