Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Congrats Apps. Offsets Blashill's baldness.
    Hey, hey.....com on now.

Red Front is good.
    Well I haven't eaten there in over 40 years, but I didn't like it back then.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

I wouldnt have hired a firm, I would have surrounded myself with hockey people like the alumni who wanted to be a part of it but were shut out.
    And where would you find the HR time to hire them for a temporary position and interview them to ensure their goals aligned with the goals of those running the business of RPI?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

You talk about strategy, there is very little strategy in hockey, there are systems. Best team that walks off the bus usually wins; that's the role of recruiting. Basically it's everything.
    Then why didn't we get to the Frozen Four in 08-09 or 09-10? After all, we had top recruiting classes those years...

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    And if what the AD said is factual and there is no reason not to believe him, who of amongst this group of Alumni would have had the time to fact check the 170 coaches that applied? So a firm was used that didn't have a background in hockey so what. They didn't hire the coach. Based on that logic then the AD shouldn't have hired the coach because he doesn't have a background in hockey.

You can assemble the best talent in the world and without proper coaching you won't win. People keep talking about Ben Barr like he's the second coming. He's good at recruiting but can he coach? Has no experience as a Head Coach so maybe he should stop being a recruiter and go and be a head coach. That's what Jim Montgomery did and look where he is today. As for systems, that's what's ruining hockey, too many systems. Let the players play. And strategy can be used in games coaches need to know how to coach in order to employ it. Systems are just a weigh of stifling creativity. You don't need to develop players skills when all you are doing is employing a TRAP or LEFT WING Lock like RPI did this year.
    If you're going to do something for any sport, you have to start somewhere...

The ultimate strategy is to take the talent you have and use it to evolve the team. Sure, there will always be fundamentals, such as positional formations, and coaches will sometimes use systems to help keep the players focused. Beyond that, how do you create lane openings? How do you protect and advance the puck? How do you keep your opposition on the perimeter or get them to turn over the puck? That is why systems cannot be rigid. Sure, it's easy for the coach, but you do a disservice to the player's talents by keeping them rigid. And when the systems start to fail, you begin to tweak it to better the team as a whole, instead of continuing to push what doesn't work and frustrate the players into desperation to seem like they're playing for the name on the back, which is something I saw from the Appert years A LOT.

Nothing Lee said was factual. It looks like he spent 60-90k to check credentials. There's a thing called google, you may want to try it. No comparing Denver and RPI.
    Do you have any specifics as to quotations that weren't factual? Just because specific people weren't involved and a specific person wasn't hired does not call for being butthurt. I don't like this administration any more than you, but I don't see what they did here that was wrong.

As for "searching", 170 coaches would mean 170 effective hours to obtain and consolidate the information. Not to mention, they also assisted with receiving and processing applications, and possibly also "recruiting" on their own, as you have to get the word out somehow.

Alleged Kool-Aid Drinker....OH YEAH

Post of the year. How don't you get banned. let play golf at Fairways next week.
    Fairways is an excellent course. Make sure you try some of the beer they brew onsite as well. Top notch stuff.
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Alleged Kool-Aid Drinker....OH YEAH

Who gave FlagDude coffee today? Dude is on a tear with facts and arguments with people.
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcore12 View Post
    Fairways is an excellent course. Make sure you try some of the beer they brew onsite as well. Top notch stuff.
    Bruce the owner is a great guy.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    but I don't see what they did here that was wrong.
    How bout hiring a guy with a .444 winning % from a lesser league
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Do you have any specifics as to quotations that weren't factual? Just because specific people weren't involved and a specific person wasn't hired does not call for being butthurt. I don't like this administration any more than you, but I don't see what they did here that was wrong.

As for "searching", 170 coaches would mean 170 effective hours to obtain and consolidate the information. Not to mention, they also assisted with receiving and processing applications, and possibly also "recruiting" on their own, as you have to get the word out somehow.
    How come every other athletic dept. with a hockey program can handle the duty w/out going to a search firm? Do yourself a favor and don't defend this process. Juneau, Sadghpohr, Kearns, Henja, Chiarelli, etc. etc. faulted it; let that be enough for you. Just get me for semicolon usage.

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Hey, hey.....com on now.
    My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Well I haven't eaten there in over 40 years, but I didn't like it back then.
    Worst thing you said on this thread in a long time.

How come every other athletic dept. with a hockey program can handle the duty w/out going to a search firm? Do yourself a favor and don't defend this process. Juneau, Sadghpohr, Kearns, Henja, Chiarelli, etc. etc. faulted it; let that be enough for you. Just get me for semicolon usage.
    How do you know that in the history of hiring hockey coaches that no other school has used a search firm? and the alumni you have name are just that alumni, what experience do they have in hiring a coach.

And if Dave Smith has a .444 winning % in a lower league so be it. Something he said won over the hiring party, more so than what the other candidates did. Unless you were on the inside of the interview process you have no idea how any of the candidates handled themselves.

Worst thing you said on this thread in a long time.
    Thank you. It's the new RB.

How do you know that in the history of hiring hockey coaches that no other school has used a search firm? and the alumni you have name are just that alumni, what experience do they have in hiring a coach.

And if Dave Smith has a .444 winning % in a lower league so be it. Something he said won over the hiring party, more so than what the other candidates did. Unless you were on the inside of the interview process you have no idea how any of the candidates handled themselves.
    I agree with that. I was disappointed in the choice of Smith, but we have to give him chance. SA had plenty of chances to show whether he could coach, but DS has not yet coached a single game at RPI.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-13-2017 at 08:33 PM.

and the alumni you have name are just that alumni
    The alumni I named have banners hanging in the Field House and our the greats of this program.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepRed72 View Post
    Does anyone remember Papa Leo's? Horrible!
    There was a guy in my dorm named Dave Croll. As far as any of us could observe, his diet consisted exclusively of pizza and Alka-Seltzer.

Papa Leo's was his pizzeria of choice. After a while, he became one of their most honored customers. He told the rest of us that if we ever wanted to order a pizza from Papa Leo's, we could say it was for Croll (being careful to specify which room we wanted the pizza to be delivered to) and then we could be sure of good service.

He flunked out at the end of the year. Back in those days before cell phones, when we came back to school in the fall, we used to have to arrange for phone service to be connected, which took a few days. So it was probably a week or more after the start of the semester before one of us decided to call Papa Leo's for a pizza.

"Hello, Papa Leo's. I'd like to order a pizza for Croll."

There was silence for a moment, then "Hey, Croll! How ya doing? We thought you'd graduated."

The alumni I named have banners hanging in the Field House and our the greats of this program.
    Some of them do, not all. Also that has nothing to do with whether they could have helped in the coach selection process. I think that they could, but banners are irrelevant.

Today is 14 April 2017. There are 170 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

Thread Information