Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Another shining example of no good deed going unpunished. Kudos to Joe for all he's done for the kids up there.

Today is 11 April 2017. There are 173 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

PUCKMAN RULES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Its always about the money, and the kids be ****ed.
    No matter how much good is done.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Its always about the money, and the kids be ****ed.
    No matter how much good is done.
    Actually, if you take time to read the whole GGI-NYHDP Makivik final report, you probably would come up with a different conclusion.
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

Beatdown

Quote Originally Posted by johnk View Post
    The building of RPI's last NCAA goal is closed for business.
    And fortunately they did not have replay back then
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Beatdown

Quote Originally Posted by Waite21 View Post
    Best wishes to Coach Smith. Glad he was able to find some friendly RPI faces at the Frozen Four.

I hope he was appalled by the way all those interminable replay reviews slowed the pace of last night's championship game to a crawl.

If Coach Smith can bring winning hockey back to the Field House, that'll be wonderful. If he can do so without asking the refs to stop the game for replay reviews of every call that is even the slightest bit questionable, that'll be even better.
    I too wish Coach Smith all the best going forward. Admittedly he was not my first choice but not being privy to the behind the scenes negotiations I can only hope the best decision was made.

That being said, I have dealt with several consulting firms in my 40 years in industry. In a number of instances I was assigned to act as my company's primary interface with the consulting firm. In short, I never could understand how a fortune 500 company could hire someone outside of their field of expertise and expect that they could make better decisions than their own internal subject matter experts. Most consultants would come in and immediately ask the question, "what conclusions would you like to see from this engagement?" Not once did I think the consultant was worth cost not only in dollars but in resources and time of the company's employees. I am not a fan of consultants.

As to the comments on 'not-so instant replay' reviews, apparently I am in the minority - I don't care how long it takes so long as they get it correct. If you want a fast-moving pace without correct calls then you can go to the WWE for entertainment. The problem is not with the replay mechanism itself in most cases. The problem lies in the quality of the judges and referees doing the reviewing. And based upon their horrible inconsistency on the ice as evidenced by blown offside calls, phantom penalties or those blatant ones not called at all, etc. why would you expect any better? The status quo will not improve until the refs are held accountable with full disclosure of their performance. Stewie are you out there?
    Last edited by DeepRed72; 04-11-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Our rhythmic gymnastic team.

Anyone know how long Coach Smith is signed for?

Quote Originally Posted by RedWrister View Post
    5 years

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by DeepRed72 View Post
    I too wish Coach Smith all the best going forward. Admittedly he was not my first choice but not being privy to the behind the scenes negotiations I can only hope the best decision was made.

That being said, I have dealt with several consulting firms in my 40 years in industry. In a number of instances I was assigned to act as my company's primary interface with the consulting firm. In short, I never could understand how a fortune 500 company could hire someone outside of their field of expertise and expect that they could make better decisions than their own internal subject matter experts. Most consultants would come in and immediately ask the question, "what conclusions would you like to see from this engagement?" Not once did I think the consultant was worth cost not only in dollars but in resources and time of the company's employees. I am not a fan of consultants.

As to the comments on 'not-so instant replay' reviews, apparently I am in the minority - I don't care how long it takes so long as they get it correct. If you want a fast-moving pace without correct calls then you can go to the WWE for entertainment. The problem is not with the replay mechanism itself in most cases. The problem lies in the quality of the judges and referees doing the reviewing. And based upon their horrible inconsistency on the ice as evidenced by blown offside calls, phantom penalties or those blatant ones not called at all, etc. why would you expect any better? The status quo will not improve until the refs are held accountable with full disclosure of their performance. Stewie are you out there?
    When it comes to consulting firms, it all comes down to whether you have the expertise you want for a specific job in-house, and if you don't believe you have that specific expertise, if you want to hire someone directly that you'd have to train anyway. With it being a short job, and not wanting to have to deal with HR hassle (which also takes up resources), most choose to outsource. I don't like them anymore than you, but at the end of the day, these ventures, including RPI hockey, are businesses, and have to properly balance quality and price.

There's agreement here when it comes to replays. I'm glad they're taking the time to get it right. That being said, it should be there to settle a dispute, not to do the referee's job on their behalf. If you want to hold them accountable, that's fine. Here's the one kicker you probably didn't consider: You need 24 referees and 24 linesmen on any given night (remember, the league is responsible for both men's and women's games). Tack on a few "floaters" because there are going to be extenuating personal circumstances. With those numbers in mind, what is the acceptance rate for trialists? I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually somewhat high, considering the talents needed to fill the job description (refereeing is a LOT harder than it looks), travel, pay, not to mention it basically being a "thankless job". If you're going to have attrition on top of this, are they able to fill in the gaps? Some may find the league's response of "Tryouts are in August" to be arrogant, but they do have a point.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

I miss Tie Domi
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWrister View Post
    According to the team website, he hasn't. SA still listed as HC. File that under ..."we're out of pizza...". Amateur hour continues !

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    According to the team website, he hasn't. SA still listed as HC. File that under ..."we're out of pizza...". Amateur hour continues !
    No problem, Pizza in Troy is horrid.

David A. Smith
    Department of Athletics
    Student Life
    email: xxxxxxxx@rpi.edu
    Phone: 518-276-6685
    110 8th St.
    Mailstop: ECAV Building ECAV
    Athletics
    110 8th St.
    Troy NY 12180

I x'ed out the email address, but he is the 25th smithd if you want to write.
    It doesn't state "Head Coach, Men's Hockey" yet.
    It now has "Head Coach, Men's Hockey".

Where? He is listed in the staff directory http://www.rpiathletics.com/staff.aspx. It is correct to have SA listed with the 16-17 roster.

Today is 12 April 2017. There are 172 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Considering some of RPI's hiring standards, are you surprised?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    When it comes to consulting firms, it all comes down to whether you have the expertise you want for a specific job in-house, and if you don't believe you have that specific expertise, if you want to hire someone directly that you'd have to train anyway. With it being a short job, and not wanting to have to deal with HR hassle (which also takes up resources), most choose to outsource. I don't like them anymore than you, but at the end of the day, these ventures, including RPI hockey, are businesses, and have to properly balance quality and price.
    This is a good point. Of course Lee hired a firm with no hockey expertise and ended up hiring a guy with almost an identical winning % from a lesser league. Bad process.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

With regard to UMASS class debate. http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...ovanna-renyard
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    That doesn't imply that it will or won't happen at RPI.

That doesn't imply that it will or won't happen at RPI.

No doubt but it looks like Barr is a good recruiter although prior asiistants were also credited. Jury out on Smith.
    Last edited by AspyDad; 04-12-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Thread Information