X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by jericho View Post
    I brought his name up early on as a possible replacement for Appert and a few people on here laughed at me for the suggestion. Turns out I wasn't that far off base.
    At my age, I don't remember everything.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 31 May 2017. There are 123 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 1 June 2017. There are 122 days (4 months) until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Hockey: that's why we are here. Look at the Pens first two games. Massively outshot and outplayed, yet with good goaltending, anything is possible. If the Engineers can play like other successful programs, they will be fun to watch and enjoy a fair amount of success : if they are always moving their feet and go to the net, they will draw a lot of penalties, give themselves a chance to score, and win their fair share of games. They also have to decide to play the system right out of the starting gate and not wait until the season is half over and they have lost most of their games. Will we be a team that other teams fear or a team they take for granted.

Comment

It's June, and still no full schedule. Coach Smith knows that ECAC teams usually don't wait until September to release this stuff, yes?

In speaking of schedule, I sort of hope we get a chance to play in the Vegas tournament in a future year if it becomes an annual thing. FlagDUDETTE's getting a little "travel sick" for that area (think "homesick", only instead of desiring home...), although I'm not really looking forward to driving over the Rockies in the winter, even if it is NM/AZ...

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
              Hockey: that's why we are here. Look at the Pens first two games. Massively outshot and outplayed, yet with good goaltending, anything is possible. If the Engineers can play like other successful programs, they will be fun to watch and enjoy a fair amount of success : if they are always moving their feet and go to the net, they will draw a lot of penalties, give themselves a chance to score, and win their fair share of games. They also have to decide to play the system right out of the starting gate and not wait until the season is half over and they have lost most of their games. Will we be a team that other teams fear or a team they take for granted.
              The "outshot and outplayed but good goaltending" strategy is not something a team should bank their season upon, nor use in the long term. The second the goaltender goes down, you're exposed. Sound familiar? Because we've used this strategy recently. I understand that's sometimes what you have to use to get a jump, but all it does is buy you time. That's where developing strength in the rest of the team comes into play, and I sincerely hope we see that in the upcoming years.

You do make other great points about fundamentals that we have been dying to see for a number of years. We've masked not seeing them as "stupid penalties", "silly mistakes", and things like that. Some of the penalties for "making a loud noise" are going to happen given the circumstances, but you are correct in that we should not compound the situation.

There is a part of me that worries about how we come out of the gate. To paraphrase one of Appert's jokes after winning the second Governor's Cup to the band, they'll try not to make winning that the highlight of the season. Start in October with strength, but do it in such a way that you can pile on more and more strength as the season goes, to the point when you get to March, you have all the cylinders warmed up and running smoothly.

Comment

Great point about coming out strong. I really hated how we started things off against UNH this past season on the road and it seemed like we could never get much momentum rolling the rest of the way...

There is a part of me that worries about how we come out of the gate. To paraphrase one of Appert's jokes after winning the second Governor's Cup to the band, they'll try not to make winning that the highlight of the season. Start in October with strength, but do it in such a way that you can pile on more and more strength as the season goes, to the point when you get to March, you have all the cylinders warmed up and running smoothly.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I agree relying on great goaltending and winning despite being outshot and outplayed is not a great strategy for a winning season,but the reality is RPI will not have any 20+ goal scorers in the lineup. And SA's strategy of scoring by committee got us to where we are today. My point being that if you lack the star power, you have to make up for that with fundamentals: always skating, being where you are supposed to be on the ice, being willing to go to the net, and finishing checks on offense and defense. With a star like Eichel or Vesey, the other team has to focus on those types of players opening the ice up for the other players. if you don't have that star, a team is much easy to defend against unless the team is playing great fundamental hockey. A team like Princeton or Dartmouth comes to mind. We have to start somewhere and the reality is RPI is not likely to be a team with lots of 1st round picks, if any. So the system has to be the focus.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                    I agree relying on great goaltending and winning despite being outshot and outplayed is not a great strategy for a winning season,but the reality is RPI will not have any 20+ goal scorers in the lineup. And SA's strategy of scoring by committee got us to where we are today. My point being that if you lack the star power, you have to make up for that with fundamentals: always skating, being where you are supposed to be on the ice, being willing to go to the net, and finishing checks on offense and defense. With a star like Eichel or Vesey, the other team has to focus on those types of players opening the ice up for the other players. if you don't have that star, a team is much easy to defend against unless the team is playing great fundamental hockey. A team like Princeton or Dartmouth comes to mind. We have to start somewhere and the reality is RPI is not likely to be a team with lots of 1st round picks, if any. So the system has to be the focus.
                    Just for the record, RPI has never had a 1st-round pick under any coach.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 2 June 2017. There are 121 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        It's June, and still no full schedule. Coach Smith knows that ECAC teams usually don't wait until September to release this stuff, yes?

In speaking of schedule, I sort of hope we get a chance to play in the Vegas tournament in a future year if it becomes an annual thing. FlagDUDETTE's getting a little "travel sick" for that area (think "homesick", only instead of desiring home...), although I'm not really looking forward to driving over the Rockies in the winter, even if it is NM/AZ...
                        The women's schedule however is out http://www.rpiathletics.com/schedule...670&path=whock.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Just for the record, RPI has never had a 1st-round pick under any coach.
                          The highest was Murley 2nd Rd #51.......Pirri was next at 2nd Rd #59
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                            Bummer. He was bringing in some really good talent to AA & I was hoping RPI’s new Coach would start taking advantage but good to see a real up & coming coach be rewarded.
                            Just putting a bow in this......
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Today is 3 June 2017. There are 120 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

https://***********/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...67721659441152

Comment

Working...
                                X