This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
        Not only that, he's a solid coach. Great decision.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          Nice! It looks like Coach Smith feels the same way FD and I do. Best of luck in the future to Bryan Vines, who dealt extremely well with a lot of adveristy. Hope he lands on his feet with a good new position.
          Charlene

Comment

Apologies for the out-in-space post earlier. It was supposed to be a reply to ServinisScores, like this:

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
            Hi Charlene - glad to have you back and thanks for the updates!
            Thanks. It's nice to be back. And you're welcome - thanks for reading!
            Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Not only that, he's a solid coach. Great decision.
              Now we need a liquid coach to guard the beer.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-24-2017, 06:35 PM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Now we need a liquid coach to guard the beer.
                I'd take dibs on that, but I charge a commission.

Comment

Can we assume that Cavosie won’t be part of the staff? Yes, I know he was a volunteer (I’ll beat FD to that).

Comment

Yes & no to this. 4yrs or pick a 1yr hockey-stop school.....

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      Can we assume that Cavosie won’t be part of the staff? Yes, I know he was a volunteer (I’ll beat FD to that).
                      Why would we assume this? I'll stand corrected , but I believe he has a daytime job locally and if he's interested in staying involved, Smith should welcome him
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                        apologies for the out-in-space post earlier. It was supposed to be a reply to servinisscores, like this:

Thanks. It's nice to be back. And you're welcome - thanks for reading!
                        :-)
                        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

I debated giving you guys a longer break before subjecting you to more hockey banquet report, but then I thought maybe it's better to just get it over with, like pulling a tooth that aches. So here's part three - some of the senior speeches - and apologies, but there's still one more to come.

This year's seniors were a particularly eloquent bunch, I thought. Oh, and if you haven't placed your bets yet on who the crier(s) were, now's the time!

Lou Nanne, who is leaving a year early after finishing his biomedical engineering degree in three years, went first. He admitted to being proud of that accomplishment, especially, he said, since he nearly failed the first course he ever took at RPI, Calculus I. He made it through that course and a lot more, though, and said he couldn't be happier that he came to RPI, and that he was "so proud to set foot on RPI ice." He said he'll always remember the fans yelling "Red!" during the National Anthem, but admitted to being jealous of Drew getting his name enunciated better, whereas Lou always sounded like he was being booed.

Lou thanked his fiancee, Ali, who he is marrying in September, for being so supportive; his parents for "giving me the world"; his brother, who has had some health issues in the last two years and is one of the reasons Lou wants to get back home; and Jesus and his faith, to whom he said he owes everything. He finished by saying "I owe RPI more than I can ever give back."

Jake Wood went next. He said that sports always gives you another chance. If you "screw up" in the first period, there's always another period, and another game, to redeem yourself. "Which is good," he said, "because I needed quite a few opportunities to redeem myself." He said that each time he learned from his mistakes, changed his game, and made himself a better player and a better person.

Jake thanked Coaches Appert, Graham, Vines and Cavosie for never giving up on him and continuing to give him opportunities to succeed. He thanked his family for always being there and encouraging him to keep going. And he thanked his classmates and told the rest of his teammates that there is always another year to achieve your goals.

Up next was Parker Reno. Parker welcomed Coach Smith and wished him lots of success, and thanked his parents for all the support. He said he was very thankful to the school and the hockey program, both of which taught him to push harder than he ever thought possible and challenged him to be "the best student, athlete and human being I could possibly be."

Parker said he will never forget playing at Houston Field House and still believes "we have some of the greatest fans in college hockey." He recounted a story of a long 5-on-3 he and his teammates had to kill against one of the top teams in the nation. They were exhausted when they finally got off the ice at the end and "the place just erupted - it was the loudest I've ever heard Houston Field House and I had a hard time keeping my emotions in." He said it's memories like that that make him proud to be an RPI hockey player. He finished by saying how grateful he was for the relationships he's formed at RPI - for the variety, but most importantly for the quality of those relationships.

Part 4 (sheesh!) coming next.
                          Charlene

Comment

Here's the fourth and final installment of my seemingly endless hockey banquet report:

Jimmy DeVito was the next senior to speak. He started by saying that it took him some years to grasp what it takes to be a student-athlete. After a learning experience that was "a roller coaster" he says he learned and found himself taking six courses this semester and is proud to be graduating in May. He thanked his coaches and thanked his parents at length, telling a funny story about how his dad ended a tantrum 6-year-old Jimmy was throwing as they left the rink after a lost game. Jimmy was yelling that he hated hockey and wanted to quit, so his dad calmly plucked his skates from his bag and tossed them on the roof of the rink! I guess Jimmy was quite taken aback that his dad took him at his word and, luckily for us, he changed his mind about quitting pretty quickly after that.

Then Jimmy got serious and said that after your senior season, especially if it's a poor one, people ask questions - do you wish you went somewhere else, do you wish you stayed in juniors longer. He said he wouldn't trade his time at RPI for anything, and that the relationships he had here, with his teammates and with the RPI hockey family, are something he'll be forever grateful for.

Riley Bourbonnais took the podium last and opened by saying it seemed like just yesterday that he was a freshman listening to other seniors make their speeches. He advised this year's underclassmen to slow down and enjoy their time at RPI because "it will go by too fast." He told them they would be frustrated at times - "maybe like me you'll only play nine games and have one measly assist in your freshman year." But, he said, those hard times build character and challenge you to carry on the tradition that is RPI hockey.

Riley thanked his parents, his sister, all the coaches, and his teammates. He addressed the underclassmen again, saying they would have memories and stories that will only be between them and the lifelong friends they made on the team. And, he said, "your education at RPI, on and off the ice, will carry beyond your years here. You're an ambassador, now and forever, for this great school."

As I said, these guys were a particularly eloquent group and they all did a great job with their speeches. Going in, I didn't really think there would be anyone too emotional in this group, but I was wrong. Lou Nanne choked up and wiped his eyes several times, and both Jake Wood and Jimmy DeVito got a little teary too. It's nice to see that their time at RPI has meant so much to them. Best of luck to all the seniors in the future - I hope they'll all come back to visit us at RPI!

Okay, that's it. I promise I will NOT post four ridiculously long posts, or twelve posts of any kind in a 24-hour period, for at least another year.
                            Charlene

Comment

Today is 25 April 2017. There are 159 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Let me first say that I am happy that Nolan Graham is staying, and that I think it is a good idea to have an alum as a coach.

AC's contacts are year-to-year, aren't they? I hope that we didn't give him a multiyear contract just because the power play was over 20% for one season. It could be an aberration.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X