Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    No doubt but it looks like Barr is a good recruiter although prior asiistants were also credited. Jury out on Smith.
    You are like a woman scorned since you won't be able to blow SA anymore.....

Today is 13 April 2017. There are 171 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

This is a good point. Of course Lee hired a firm with no hockey expertise and ended up hiring a guy with almost an identical winning % from a lesser league. Bad process.
    To be fair, what firm would you have hired if you were instructed to outsource the search?

Also, how do we know the winning percentage wasn't a result of the league? Some thrive as the big fish in a small pond, some need "maneuvering room" (pun intended). Also, some strategies work against some teams and don't work vs. others, case in point our seeming ease of playing Yale in Appert's "hey-day" (if you can call it that), coupled with the difficulty of facing Cornell.

Also, I don't blame them for picking who they did on the basis of being a HC veteran.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

No doubt but it looks like Barr is a good recruiter although prior asiistants were also credited. Jury out on Smith.
    Last I checked, we weren't hiring a recruiter; we were hiring a coach. The last guy could recruit, but couldn't coach.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    To be fair, what firm would you have hired if you were instructed to outsource the search?

Also, how do we know the winning percentage wasn't a result of the league? Some thrive as the big fish in a small pond, some need "maneuvering room" (pun intended). Also, some strategies work against some teams and don't work vs. others, case in point our seeming ease of playing Yale in Appert's "hey-day" (if you can call it that), coupled with the difficulty of facing Cornell.

Also, I don't blame them for picking who they did on the basis of being a HC veteran.
    I wouldnt have hired a firm, I would have surrounded myself with hockey people like the alumni who wanted to be a part of it but were shut out.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Last I checked, we weren't hiring a recruiter; we were hiring a coach. The last guy could recruit, but couldn't coach.
    You talk about strategy, there is very little strategy in hockey, there are systems. Best team that walks off the bus usually wins; that's the role of recruiting. Basically it's everything.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
    You are like a woman scorned since you won't be able to blow SA anymore.....
    Post of the year. How don't you get banned. let play golf at Fairways next week.

You talk about strategy, there is very little strategy in hockey, there are systems. Best team that walks off the bus usually wins; that's the role of recruiting. Basically it's everything.
    Which is what is wrong with hockey today. Too many systems, too much micromanagement. We're stifling creativity.

I have one goal -- at the end of the game scoring one more goal than you.

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Which is what is wrong with hockey today. Too many systems, too much micromanagement. We're stifling creativity.
    I have one goal -- at the end of the game scoring one more goal than you.

Either too many systems or the wrong ones implemented especially at the wrong time.

Let them play

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold and former Rensselaer coach Seth Appert have been added to the Team USA coaching staff for the upcoming World Championship, May 5-21 in Germany and Paris. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...t-Added-to.php

Beatdown

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    No problem, Pizza in Troy is horrid.
    Does anyone remember Papa Leo's? Horrible!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I wouldnt have hired a firm, I would have surrounded myself with hockey people like the alumni who wanted to be a part of it but were shut out.
    And if what the AD said is factual and there is no reason not to believe him, who of amongst this group of Alumni would have had the time to fact check the 170 coaches that applied? So a firm was used that didn't have a background in hockey so what. They didn't hire the coach. Based on that logic then the AD shouldn't have hired the coach because he doesn't have a background in hockey.

You can assemble the best talent in the world and without proper coaching you won't win. People keep talking about Ben Barr like he's the second coming. He's good at recruiting but can he coach? Has no experience as a Head Coach so maybe he should stop being a recruiter and go and be a head coach. That's what Jim Montgomery did and look where he is today. As for systems, that's what's ruining hockey, too many systems. Let the players play. And strategy can be used in games coaches need to know how to coach in order to employ it. Systems are just a weigh of stifling creativity. You don't need to develop players skills when all you are doing is employing a TRAP or LEFT WING Lock like RPI did this year.

If recruiting is basically everything was Seth bad because his recruits won 8 games?
    If recruiting is basically everything why do they have coaches behind the benches every game?

Quote Originally Posted by Havasu M View Post
    If recruiting is basically everything was Seth bad because his recruits won 8 games?
    If recruiting is basically everything why do they have coaches behind the benches every game?
    Nobody wants to go to RPI and its hard to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    And if what the AD said is factual and there is no reason not to believe him, who of amongst this group of Alumni would have had the time to fact check the 170 coaches that applied? So a firm was used that didn't have a background in hockey so what. They didn't hire the coach. Based on that logic then the AD shouldn't have hired the coach because he doesn't have a background in hockey.

You can assemble the best talent in the world and without proper coaching you won't win. People keep talking about Ben Barr like he's the second coming. He's good at recruiting but can he coach? Has no experience as a Head Coach so maybe he should stop being a recruiter and go and be a head coach. That's what Jim Montgomery did and look where he is today. As for systems, that's what's ruining hockey, too many systems. Let the players play. And strategy can be used in games coaches need to know how to coach in order to employ it. Systems are just a weigh of stifling creativity. You don't need to develop players skills when all you are doing is employing a TRAP or LEFT WING Lock like RPI did this year.
    Nothing Lee said was factual. It looks like he spent 60-90k to check credentials. There's a thing called google, you may want to try it. No comparing Denver and RPI.

Don't disagree on trap and LWL. Blame Lemaire and Bowman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    No problem, Pizza in Troy is horrid.
    Red Front is good.

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold and former Rensselaer coach Seth Appert have been added to the Team USA coaching staff for the upcoming World Championship, May 5-21 in Germany and Paris. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...t-Added-to.php
    Congrats Apps. Offsets Blashill's baldness.

Thread Information