Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    396

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    No doubt but it looks like Barr is a good recruiter although prior asiistants were also credited. Jury out on Smith.
    You are like a woman scorned since you won't be able to blow SA anymore.....

  2. #122
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,687

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Today is 13 April 2017. There are 171 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

  3. #123
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,986

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    This is a good point. Of course Lee hired a firm with no hockey expertise and ended up hiring a guy with almost an identical winning % from a lesser league. Bad process.
    To be fair, what firm would you have hired if you were instructed to outsource the search?

    Also, how do we know the winning percentage wasn't a result of the league? Some thrive as the big fish in a small pond, some need "maneuvering room" (pun intended). Also, some strategies work against some teams and don't work vs. others, case in point our seeming ease of playing Yale in Appert's "hey-day" (if you can call it that), coupled with the difficulty of facing Cornell.

    Also, I don't blame them for picking who they did on the basis of being a HC veteran.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  4. #124
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,986

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    No doubt but it looks like Barr is a good recruiter although prior asiistants were also credited. Jury out on Smith.
    Last I checked, we weren't hiring a recruiter; we were hiring a coach. The last guy could recruit, but couldn't coach.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    To be fair, what firm would you have hired if you were instructed to outsource the search?

    Also, how do we know the winning percentage wasn't a result of the league? Some thrive as the big fish in a small pond, some need "maneuvering room" (pun intended). Also, some strategies work against some teams and don't work vs. others, case in point our seeming ease of playing Yale in Appert's "hey-day" (if you can call it that), coupled with the difficulty of facing Cornell.

    Also, I don't blame them for picking who they did on the basis of being a HC veteran.
    I wouldnt have hired a firm, I would have surrounded myself with hockey people like the alumni who wanted to be a part of it but were shut out.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Last I checked, we weren't hiring a recruiter; we were hiring a coach. The last guy could recruit, but couldn't coach.
    You talk about strategy, there is very little strategy in hockey, there are systems. Best team that walks off the bus usually wins; that's the role of recruiting. Basically it's everything.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
    You are like a woman scorned since you won't be able to blow SA anymore.....
    Post of the year. How don't you get banned. let play golf at Fairways next week.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,216
    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    You talk about strategy, there is very little strategy in hockey, there are systems. Best team that walks off the bus usually wins; that's the role of recruiting. Basically it's everything.
    Which is what is wrong with hockey today. Too many systems, too much micromanagement. We're stifling creativity.

    I have one goal -- at the end of the game scoring one more goal than you.

  9. #129
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Which is what is wrong with hockey today. Too many systems, too much micromanagement. We're stifling creativity.
    I have one goal -- at the end of the game scoring one more goal than you.


    Either too many systems or the wrong ones implemented especially at the wrong time.

    Let them play

  10. #130
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,687

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy


  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,586

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold and former Rensselaer coach Seth Appert have been added to the Team USA coaching staff for the upcoming World Championship, May 5-21 in Germany and Paris. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...t-Added-to.php

  12. #132
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,687

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy


  13. #133
    Beatdown
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    MSG, The Blue Seats for 46 years
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    No problem, Pizza in Troy is horrid.
    Does anyone remember Papa Leo's? Horrible!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    42

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    I wouldnt have hired a firm, I would have surrounded myself with hockey people like the alumni who wanted to be a part of it but were shut out.
    And if what the AD said is factual and there is no reason not to believe him, who of amongst this group of Alumni would have had the time to fact check the 170 coaches that applied? So a firm was used that didn't have a background in hockey so what. They didn't hire the coach. Based on that logic then the AD shouldn't have hired the coach because he doesn't have a background in hockey.

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    You talk about strategy, there is very little strategy in hockey, there are systems. Best team that walks off the bus usually wins; that's the role of recruiting. Basically it's everything.
    You can assemble the best talent in the world and without proper coaching you won't win. People keep talking about Ben Barr like he's the second coming. He's good at recruiting but can he coach? Has no experience as a Head Coach so maybe he should stop being a recruiter and go and be a head coach. That's what Jim Montgomery did and look where he is today. As for systems, that's what's ruining hockey, too many systems. Let the players play. And strategy can be used in games coaches need to know how to coach in order to employ it. Systems are just a weigh of stifling creativity. You don't need to develop players skills when all you are doing is employing a TRAP or LEFT WING Lock like RPI did this year.

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    352

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    If recruiting is basically everything was Seth bad because his recruits won 8 games?
    If recruiting is basically everything why do they have coaches behind the benches every game?

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu M View Post
    If recruiting is basically everything was Seth bad because his recruits won 8 games?
    If recruiting is basically everything why do they have coaches behind the benches every game?
    Nobody wants to go to RPI and its hard to get in.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    And if what the AD said is factual and there is no reason not to believe him, who of amongst this group of Alumni would have had the time to fact check the 170 coaches that applied? So a firm was used that didn't have a background in hockey so what. They didn't hire the coach. Based on that logic then the AD shouldn't have hired the coach because he doesn't have a background in hockey.



    You can assemble the best talent in the world and without proper coaching you won't win. People keep talking about Ben Barr like he's the second coming. He's good at recruiting but can he coach? Has no experience as a Head Coach so maybe he should stop being a recruiter and go and be a head coach. That's what Jim Montgomery did and look where he is today. As for systems, that's what's ruining hockey, too many systems. Let the players play. And strategy can be used in games coaches need to know how to coach in order to employ it. Systems are just a weigh of stifling creativity. You don't need to develop players skills when all you are doing is employing a TRAP or LEFT WING Lock like RPI did this year.
    Nothing Lee said was factual. It looks like he spent 60-90k to check credentials. There's a thing called google, you may want to try it. No comparing Denver and RPI.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Don't disagree on trap and LWL. Blame Lemaire and Bowman.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  19. #139
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    No problem, Pizza in Troy is horrid.
    Red Front is good.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold and former Rensselaer coach Seth Appert have been added to the Team USA coaching staff for the upcoming World Championship, May 5-21 in Germany and Paris. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...t-Added-to.php
    Congrats Apps. Offsets Blashill's baldness.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •