X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Granted it is somewhat limited BUT options can be Building Science, Business & Management, Cognitive Science, Communications, Philosophy, Economics, Design Innovation and Society, Electronic Arts, etc. No basket weaving or general studies, but again there are other rigorous academic dwellings and there are intelligent, well skilled hockey players out there. What I see more is an issue from the top down.
    It'd be tough to find someone with great knowledge of the present day 'tute that didn't believe the top down issue, unless they were part of "the top". Unfortunately, unless SAJ croaks, it ain't changing anytime soon. And even then, there's enough power in the board to make sure the poor leadership continues. I do hope we can see some improvements under Smith, especially surrounding injuries, team cohesion, and systemic evolution. That's all we can really ask for at this point.

Comment

Athletics has so changed. I remember a few years ago when the 54 championship team was introduced. They were all PhDs and MDs. While I would like to have a better winning record, I am much more interested in seeing a team to respect because of who they are. The question really becomes is it necessary to have low standards to have a good team? There are far more D1 programs than there used to be. The last thing I want is a team with players who have poor academic performance and or problematic off the ice behavior like at BU a few years back. Look at the suspensions at college football programs. The bottom line is these are Student-Athletes. Not the other way around.

Comment

I think of Adam Oates as being as classy a guy as just about anyone who has ever come out of the RPI hockey program. If he says the Tute ignored its own committee's recommendation about whom to hire as the new hockey coach, it's hard to think that he was just blowing smoke.

Makes me wonder, though - was a committee involved in the selection of Seth Appert eleven years ago?

My recollection is that Appert's arrival in Troy was met with widespread approval. If there was a committee that recommended somebody other than Appert, seemed like they kept pretty quiet about it.

Does anyone know if there was a committee involved in selecting the coach back in 2006, and does anyone know if Appert was the committee's choice?

If there was a committee in 2006 and if Appert was that committee's choice, there may not be much reason to think that the person the 2017 committee recommended, whoever that may have been, would have been likely to do any better than Appert did at RPI.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          I think of Adam Oates as being as classy a guy as just about anyone who has ever come out of the RPI hockey program. If he says the Tute ignored its own committee's recommendation about whom to hire as the new hockey coach, it's hard to think that he was just blowing smoke.

Makes me wonder, though - was a committee involved in the selection of Seth Appert eleven years ago?

My recollection is that Appert's arrival in Troy was met with widespread approval. If there was a committee that recommended somebody other than Appert, seemed like they kept pretty quiet about it.

Does anyone know if there was a committee involved in selecting the coach back in 2006, and does anyone know if Appert was the committee's choice?

If there was a committee in 2006 and if Appert was that committee's choice, there may not be much reason to think that the person the 2017 committee recommended, whoever that may have been, would have been likely to do any better than Appert did at RPI.
          Reportedly, Andy Murray was offered the job first and when he turned it down they hired Seth. Whether that was the order of the search committee's recommendations I don't know.

Comment

Today is 28 July 2017. There are 64 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

No complete roster yet.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              Reportedly, Andy Murray was offered the job first and when he turned it down they hired Seth. Whether that was the order of the search committee's recommendations I don't know.
              Not reportedly. There was a third coach involved who was the second choice, but his name escapes me atm.
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                Not reportedly. There was a third coach involved who was the second choice, but his name escapes me atm.
                Mike Cavanaugh

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new.../18_murray.php

this article talks a little about the process. Happy Friday.
                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Does anybody on this thread think we should give Smith a chance before we throw him under the bus.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    Does anybody on this thread think we should give Smith a chance before we throw him under the bus.
                    Yes.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/201...ates-criticism
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• I agree with EHF and Ralph, the guy deserves a chance. I also took Oates' comments to mean that he is frustrated with the admin and coaching search process, not necessarily with Smith himself.
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          I'm shocked anyone of RPI wouldn't give him a chance... of course, the same could be said about other facets of life today...

I look forward to what happens in 64 days.

Comment

Coach Smith has an almost impossible job ahead of him. The fans, the alumni, and, to a certain degree, the players are frustrated with what has happened over the last several years, particularly the last 4 months. They haven't even skated yet. How the coaching situation was handled is totally out of his control. He has lost a several players for various reasons and is trying to create cohesion with the returning players and the newcomers. If we all jump on him if they don't win, that will make it less likely they will enjoy success. I am looking for a team where the individuals play their position well and they all play together for the team. And an opponent other teams respect and don't take for granted. If they can do that, even winning one more game than last season will demonstrate success.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                              Coach Smith has an almost impossible job ahead of him. The fans, the alumni, and, to a certain degree, the players are frustrated with what has happened over the last several years, particularly the last 4 months. They haven't even skated yet. How the coaching situation was handled is totally out of his control. He has lost a several players for various reasons and is trying to create cohesion with the returning players and the newcomers. If we all jump on him if they don't win, that will make it less likely they will enjoy success. I am looking for a team where the individuals play their position well and they all play together for the team. And an opponent other teams respect and don't take for granted. If they can do that, even winning one more game than last season will demonstrate success.
                              Now that I look closer, the move seems justified not just for WLT, but also the amount of injuries and the lack of cohesion we've seen. Some just won't be happy unless there's a certain coach there, which I might as well mention also happened to be a previous coach at an AHC school...

The biggest goal for Smith for this year is to be able to create a "system" that plays to the players' strength, and to keep good cohesion in the room. If the administration has belief in him to do the job, we should support that belief for the time being. It's certainly possible that the coach could eventually "lose the room" similar to the predecessor, but he still deserves an opportunity at this time. Let's see what he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                                I don't believe ANYONE is jumping on him. He was picked good or bad reasoning doesn't matter, he has plenty of time to prove himself especially if you look at the record of how long coaches can stay at RPI. One thing I find in Smith's favor is they are in a us against them mentality, and young players can really make a spot for themselves.

I FULLY believe the issue here is the way it was handled, committee, no committee, suggestion, no suggestion. Then follow it up with the way the women's coaching situation was handled and is still being handled. It's the people in charge of the process, top down. In my experience if upper management doesn't show true interest then everything can easily falter or be more difficult. I think the Troy Record needs to dig deeper.

Comment

Working...
                                X