This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

I, for one, would be most happy if you started posting again, about the banquet and anything RPI hockey related.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post

I'll be at the hockey banquet tonight, so I'll could share some thoughts on that before I get back to old business. What do you think - am I in?
      Would love to read your insights Charlene. You have my yes vote... not that you really need it!

Comment

It's nice to see that some of you still remember me - thanks, Ralph and FlagDUDE.

I'd like to join the conversation again too, if you'll have me. I haven't been even a lurker in recent years, with rare exceptions, but I started checking again after Coach Appert was fired and ended up reading through all of the two most recent threads. It seems like posters are for the most part happier now than they were a year or two back (well, not AspyDad of course) and are generally being kinder to each other. It might be fun to post again, though it might be very sporadic. I don't know where some of you guys find the time to post as much as you do!

Let me go on record right up front - I am of the opinion it was time for a change. Let me say also that Seth Appert was always friendly to me and appreciative of my support, and that he unquestionably did a lot of good things for the RPI hockey program off the ice. What he didn't do, though, was win games.

In reading over the last two threads, I found lots of things I'd like to chime in on, if you'll forgive me dragging the conversation back to things you thought you were finished with. I'll space my comments out, though, because those of you who know me know that the phrases "brief post" and "Charlene Markham" have never been uttered in the same sentence without a negative included!

I'll be at the hockey banquet tonight, so I'll could share some thoughts on that before I get back to old business. What do you think - am I in?
        Of course you are in. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
        Welcome back.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          The team Banquet is tonight.
          winners are being tweeted out by WaP.....https://***********/without_a_peer?r...utapeer.com%2F
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            winners are being tweeted out by WaP.....https://***********/without_a_peer?r...utapeer.com%2F
            Riley MVP
            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

It's nice to see that some of you still remember me - thanks, Ralph and FlagDUDE.

I'd like to join the conversation again too, if you'll have me. I haven't been even a lurker in recent years, with rare exceptions, but I started checking again after Coach Appert was fired and ended up reading through all of the two most recent threads. It seems like posters are for the most part happier now than they were a year or two back (well, not AspyDad of course) and are generally being kinder to each other. It might be fun to post again, though it might be very sporadic. I don't know where some of you guys find the time to post as much as you do!

Let me go on record right up front - I am of the opinion it was time for a change. Let me say also that Seth Appert was always friendly to me and appreciative of my support, and that he unquestionably did a lot of good things for the RPI hockey program off the ice. What he didn't do, though, was win games.

In reading over the last two threads, I found lots of things I'd like to chime in on, if you'll forgive me dragging the conversation back to things you thought you were finished with. I'll space my comments out, though, because those of you who know me know that the phrases "brief post" and "Charlene Markham" have never been uttered in the same sentence without a negative included!

You have always been more than welcome to chime in, and today is no exception. We would be honored if you joined us.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with the choice for best D, especially based on a number of the things I saw both on video and live. Of course, I'm not sure who else you would have picked... Reilly maybe? He was quite solid for most of his time out there.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  and since Charlene is back, she also tweeted the names of the winners https://***********/rpihockeydotnet
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        I'm not sure I agree with the choice for best D, especially based on a number of the things I saw both on video and live. Of course, I'm not sure who else you would have picked... Reilly maybe? He was quite solid for most of his time out there.
                        I would have picked Reno, but there are faults with all the D.
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-22-2017, 08:36 PM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

For the records, the winners:

Freshman Hayhurst
                          Student Athlete Prapavessis
                          Best Defensive Player Wilson
                          Most Inspirational Wood
                          Most Improved Marrello
                          Community Service Reno
                          MVP Bourbonnais
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

A great leader.......
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Imagine the career point total sans Bourbs

Comment

Thanks to all for the welcome back. I know I didn't actually need permission, but I've been such a fair-weather fan here on the boards (not in person, I promise!) that I wouldn't blame you if I'd worn out my welcome. So thanks. Here's the hockey banquet report I promised (threatened?). You know my middle name is long-winded (my mom was prescient, I guess), so I'm going to break it into several parts. Here's the first.

I wondered who would take Coach Appert's place as emcee this year. I was surprised at the answer - it was Al Shibley, the PA announcer for games at Houston Field House. He gave a brief welcome address, commenting on the five terrific young men we were there to honor, then introduced Athletic Director Lee McElroy.

Dr. McElroy too spoke about how much the seniors have done for the program, but then went on to talk about the program as a whole and the search for a new head coach. He said that RPI fans are unquestionably "the best college hockey fans in the country" and that the fans and alumni have "unparalleled dedication and commitment" to the hockey program. He acknowledged how important it was to get the right coach for the program and assured us that "we looked far and deep for our next coach and without a doubt found the right one."

He then introduced the new coach, Dave Smith, who took the podium to make a few remarks. Some quotes from Coach Smith:
                                "16 days into a whirlwind, I've been very, very impressed with the team."
                                "The passion of the alumni - Lee alluded to it, the media and this and that - the passion of the alumni is RABID about their hockey program."
                                "As a player you can complain all you want now and it doesn't affect anything but (as an alumnus) your voice is heard. I've got a stack of letters from Dr. McElroy (that are from alumni) - a lot good, because there's a lot good happening here at RPI hockey."
                                "I've said this numerous times in media interviews or just conversations: RPI hockey is not broken. We are not broken - and it feels good to say "we" - we are not broken. The commitment that's been made by the players, well before we got here and well into the future will extend beyond any of the people in this room. RPI hockey is strong."

Coach Smith went on to thank assistant coaches Nolan Graham and Bryan Vines profusely, saying how much adversity there has been from the end of the season till now and how well they managed the team in a very tough spot. This was followed by a long round of applause.

Coach Smith also commented that he'll be moving to this area permanently in August. He then introduced Nolan Graham. The program indicated that this spot was "Season Highlights" but it mostly consisted of Nolan thanking everyone in any way connected with the program, another task that had fallen to Coach Appert in the past.

Up next: the awards. (See what I mean - you'll get tired of me!)
                                Last edited by cmmarkham; 04-22-2017, 11:27 PM.
                                Charlene

Comment

Working...
                                X