X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    But you could still at least venture a guess. You and I and a few others have been around this program for a long time and at least have a sense of historical perspective. We have seen some drastic changes in the past 50+ years.
    BTW my guess includes any post season victories in the total.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 1 August 2017. There are 60 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

No complete roster yet.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Same wishes to you. Life has settled and without any traumatic events I must say this has been the best summer in some time. If we had set up a poll of some sort it would be interesting to see just how everyone here truly feels about this upcoming season as far as how many total wins they expect. i would start it off with a somewhat optimistic 18. With about 9 incoming new boys along with the new coach, we are looking at a lot of changes but I do not think that number unreasonable.
        Optimism is certainly on the rise across the entire country these days. and we're no exception. Do I think we'll get over 500 this upcoming year? I'm not THAT optimistic (not that I'd mind), although I do believe we'll see an improvement this year (granted I don't know if we could get any lower) to set us up for 500 and a decent playoff run. I'd predict we hit Union's old goal this year (400), and then a steady rise.

Comment

Same wishes to you. Life has settled and without any traumatic events I must say this has been the best summer in some time. If we had set up a poll of some sort it would be interesting to see just how everyone here truly feels about this upcoming season as far as how many total wins they expect. i would start it off with a somewhat optimistic 18. With about 9 incoming new boys along with the new coach, we are looking at a lot of changes but I do not think that number unreasonable.
          I think that I would be very happy with the team finishing one game over .500.
          I believe that we have some very talented players returning and I hope that Smith can get the best out of them and the new guys.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            I think that I would be very happy with the team finishing one game over .500.
            I believe that we have some very talented players returning and I hope that Smith can get the best out of them and the new guys.
            I would be ecstatic if the team finished over .500, but I'm not optimistic that they'll come close to that. After all, RPI's coming off a season when their winning percentage was .230.

I agree that we have some talented players returning, but they don't include anybody like Bob Brinkworth and Jerry Knightley, with whom Rube Bjorkman was blessed upon his arrival in Troy. With those two and the rest of what he inherited from Ned Harkness, Bjorkman went on to achieve a .692 winning percentage in 1963-64, the best of any RPI head coach in his first year.

If Dave Smith does half that well, I won't be too unhappy about it. 11-22-4 this season (including 1-2 in the postseason) would work out to a winning percentage of .351. That's as optimistic a prediction as I'm willing to make.

Comment

Thanks to all the posters and returning posters. My number is 16 wins and enough ties for .500. 1963-64 was my freshman year. Very special year - 2 lines and 3 Dman. Bob Brinkworth+++.
              I didn't miss many home games in my 5 years at RPI. I felt at the end of last season the returning players + TB could win enough 3rd periods and OTs to finish .500. Still hopeful. LGR.

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
              I would be ecstatic if the team finished over .500, but I'm not optimistic that they'll come close to that. After all, RPI's coming off a season when their winning percentage was .230.

I agree that we have some talented players returning, but they don't include anybody like Bob Brinkworth and Jerry Knightley, with whom Rube Bjorkman was blessed upon his arrival in Troy. With those two and the rest of what he inherited from Ned Harkness, Bjorkman went on to achieve a .692 winning percentage in 1963-64, the best of any RPI head coach in his first year.

If Dave Smith does half that well, I won't be too unhappy about it. 11-22-4 this season (including 1-2 in the postseason) would work out to a winning percentage of .351. That's as optimistic a prediction as I'm willing to make.

Comment

Today is 2 August 2017. There are 59 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

No complete roster yet.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If we had set up a poll of some sort it would be interesting to see just how everyone here truly feels about this upcoming season as far as how many total wins they expect.
                  Is "more than last season" an acceptable number for my guess on total wins?

Actually, I also would be fine if we have substantially more ties than last season as well. The point total perhaps more than the raw win total will be (for me at least) a slightly better metric of progress. Enough already with the other team tying late in regulation / winning in overtime!
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Actually, I also would be fine if we have substantially more ties than last season as well. The point total perhaps more than the raw win total will be (for me at least) a slightly better metric of progress. Enough already with the other team tying late in regulation / winning in overtime!
                    FF: 'More than last season' - anyone who can come up withe puns and humor you do can be a bit more specific than that. Just trying to get a bit of a psychological gauge on the feelings of those who post regularly here. So far, anyone chiming in seems to at least think we can do better than last year (it would be difficult not to). But you do indicate something very important. It may come down to how we do in all those one goal games and close games with less than 5 minutes remaining.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Can we get any lower?

Comment

FF: 'More than last season' - anyone who can come up withe puns and humor you do can be a bit more specific than that. Just trying to get a bit of a psychological gauge on the feelings of those who post regularly here. So far, anyone chiming in seems to at least think we can do better than last year (it would be difficult not to). But you do indicate something very important. It may come down to how we do in all those one goal games and close games with less than 5 minutes remaining.
                        Hi, Doc,

I guess I phrased my prior post rather poorly.

I am less concerned about "how many wins" as I am about "how many points." One tie last year? I don't have stats handy on how many losses in OT or losses in last two minutes of regulation, but my recollection was "too many."

I think more than doubling our point total from last year would be a good start, however it is comprised. A 12-15-10 season would be better from my perspective than a 14-20-3 one.
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 08-02-2017, 01:05 PM.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

9-12 wins and fighting for home ice in the first round but ending up in 9th or 10th. That said, I'll still say #1 in the annual standings thread...
                            RPI Pep Band
                            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              I'll probably post my thoughts more as we get closer to the season, though I wouldn't say I post regularly here.

In general, I would say there is no win total I'm hoping for. I'm much more interested in how I feel about the direction of the team come next season's end. That's a very broad statement on purpose.

Specifically, I want to feel good about the style of play Coach Smith employs (whatever it may be) and I want to see individual/team growth as the season goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                                9-12 wins and fighting for home ice in the first round but ending up in 9th or 10th. That said, I'll still say #1 in the annual standings thread...
                                I'm sure this past year, Doc enjoyed the "reprieve" of having to buy expensive jewelry for Jenny...

Comment

Working...
                                X