Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

  1. #841
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,621

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    I don't believe ANYONE is jumping on him. He was picked good or bad reasoning doesn't matter, he has plenty of time to prove himself especially if you look at the record of how long coaches can stay at RPI. One thing I find in Smith's favor is they are in a us against them mentality, and young players can really make a spot for themselves.

    I FULLY believe the issue here is the way it was handled, committee, no committee, suggestion, no suggestion. Then follow it up with the way the women's coaching situation was handled and is still being handled. It's the people in charge of the process, top down. In my experience if upper management doesn't show true interest then everything can easily falter or be more difficult. I think the Troy Record needs to dig deeper.
    The process was clearly flawed. Beginning with a search firm with zero hockey experience, maybe the outcome will work but we'll see. It sounds like a committee recommendation was made and SAJ and Lee went another way (If the Oates account is correct). The problem is that SAJ gives no mind to the program. Where's the 20 mil that SAJ promised, I propose that it will never come to fruition. That's her prerogative but the alumni and the season tix holders have a right to hold these folks to account for their decisions and promises. SAJ is taking on water with Record and Chronicle of Higher Ed stories; the only way the program gets better is with her departure. The only way the school gets out of its malaise with poor morale among employees, faculty and alumni is her departure. I get that Lee's just collecting a check but you think he would answer questions in a more artful way and just not say "thanks for the email". C'mon Lee respect the media's role and the paying fans right to have a process be transparent.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  2. #842
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    396

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    The process was clearly flawed. Beginning with a search firm with zero hockey experience, maybe the outcome will work but we'll see. It sounds like a committee recommendation was made and SAJ and Lee went another way (If the Oates account is correct). The problem is that SAJ gives no mind to the program. Where's the 20 mil that SAJ promised, I propose that it will never come to fruition. That's her prerogative but the alumni and the season tix holders have a right to hold these folks to account for their decisions and promises. SAJ is taking on water with Record and Chronicle of Higher Ed stories; the only way the program gets better is with her departure. The only way the school gets out of its malaise with poor morale among employees, faculty and alumni is her departure. I get that Lee's just collecting a check but you think he would answer questions in a more artful way and just not say "thanks for the email". C'mon Lee respect the media's role and the paying fans right to have a process be transparent.
    Wow man let it go.....Your boy toy is better off now and you know it....Stop being upset he had to leave town and you need to find a new lover.....It will happen if you let it.....You got him maybe you can get Smith...

  3. #843
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,048

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Today is 29 July 2017. There are 63 days (9 weeks) until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.


    No complete roster yet.

  4. #844
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,243

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    I FULLY believe the issue here is the way it was handled, committee, no committee, suggestion, no suggestion. Then follow it up with the way the women's coaching situation was handled and is still being handled. It's the people in charge of the process, top down. In my experience if upper management doesn't show true interest then everything can easily falter or be more difficult. I think the Troy Record needs to dig deeper.
    And what's going to come out of it? SAJ is a ruthless dictator, just like her friend Hill-dawg. Until she croaks, nothing will happen. And even then, she's put such a system into place that nothing will happen after said time.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  5. #845
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,243

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    The process was clearly flawed. Beginning with a search firm with zero hockey experience, maybe the outcome will work but we'll see. It sounds like a committee recommendation was made and SAJ and Lee went another way (If the Oates account is correct). The problem is that SAJ gives no mind to the program. Where's the 20 mil that SAJ promised, I propose that it will never come to fruition. That's her prerogative but the alumni and the season tix holders have a right to hold these folks to account for their decisions and promises. SAJ is taking on water with Record and Chronicle of Higher Ed stories; the only way the program gets better is with her departure. The only way the school gets out of its malaise with poor morale among employees, faculty and alumni is her departure. I get that Lee's just collecting a check but you think he would answer questions in a more artful way and just not say "thanks for the email". C'mon Lee respect the media's role and the paying fans right to have a process be transparent.
    To be fair, if someone's attacking you and your work, what else are you going to respond with? Do you really expect him to be rebutting, especially considering we've had these beliefs about the administration for well over a decade? I'm one of the first that's going to agree that SAJ needs to go, but these people aren't stupid. If we want to speak with our wallets, that'd probably be the only way. I'm sure they'll blame the media next, but at this point, it's the only true vote we have.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  6. #846
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,749

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    To be fair, if someone's attacking you and your work, what else are you going to respond with? Do you really expect him to be rebutting, especially considering we've had these beliefs about the administration for well over a decade? I'm one of the first that's going to agree that SAJ needs to go, but these people aren't stupid. If we want to speak with our wallets, that'd probably be the only way. I'm sure they'll blame the media next, but at this point, it's the only true vote we have.
    I don't see the media attacking, just asking questions which is their role.

  7. #847
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,058

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    And what's going to come out of it? SAJ is a ruthless dictator, just like her friend Hill-dawg. Until she croaks, nothing will happen. And even then, she's put such a system into place that nothing will happen after said time.
    Seconded. Jen and I saw this before some if not most. We remain hopeful but understand what exactly it will take for this team, this program and more importantly, this institution to recover from it all. But, on a more cheerful note, I expect many of you to be pleasantly surprised by the team performance this year. In spite of all the troubles, we have a great bunch of boys as we almost always do.
    Last edited by DrDemento; 07-29-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  8. #848
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,048

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Seconded. Jen and I saw this before some if not most. We remain hopeful but understand what exactly it will take for this team, this program and more importantly, this institution to recover from it all. But, on a more cheerful note, I expect many of you to be pleasantly surprised y the team performance this year. In spite of all the troubles, we have a great bunch of boys as we almost always do.
    Stick around.

  9. #849
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,048

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Today is 30 July 2017. There are 62 days (2 months) until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.


    No complete roster yet.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 07-31-2017 at 01:06 AM.

  10. #850
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,243

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    I don't see the media attacking, just asking questions which is their role.
    You and I may see it that way. An oppressive regime sees questions as attacks against their rule, hence why it is generally either dodged or met with repercussion. As a means of not seeming rude, they are likely instructed to acknowledge receipt of it at a minimum. It doesn't mean they have to answer the questions.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  11. #851
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,048

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Today is 31 July 2017. There are 61 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.


    No complete roster yet.

  12. #852
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,370

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Seconded. Jen and I saw this before some if not most. We remain hopeful but understand what exactly it will take for this team, this program and more importantly, this institution to recover from it all. But, on a more cheerful note, I expect many of you to be pleasantly surprised by the team performance this year. In spite of all the troubles, we have a great bunch of boys as we almost always do.
    Doc - hope you and Jenny are having a good summer. I have the same expectation. Cheers!
    Class of '93

    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

  13. #853
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,058

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by ServinisScores View Post
    Doc - hope you and Jenny are having a good summer. I have the same expectation. Cheers!
    Same wishes to you. Life has settled and without any traumatic events I must say this has been the best summer in some time. If we had set up a poll of some sort it would be interesting to see just how everyone here truly feels about this upcoming season as far as how many total wins they expect. i would start it off with a somewhat optimistic 18. With about 9 incoming new boys along with the new coach, we are looking at a lot of changes but I do not think that number unreasonable.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  14. #854
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,048

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Same wishes to you. Life has settled and without any traumatic events I must say this has been the best summer in some time. If we had set up a poll of some sort it would be interesting to see just how everyone here truly feels about this upcoming season as far as how many total wins they expect. i would start it off with a somewhat optimistic 18. With about 9 incoming new boys along with the new coach, we are looking at a lot of changes but I do not think that number unreasonable.
    I hesitate to be optimistic because I was optimistic 11 years ago.

  15. #855
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,058

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I hesitate to be optimistic because I was optimistic 11 years ago.
    But you could still at least venture a guess. You and I and a few others have been around this program for a long time and at least have a sense of historical perspective. We have seen some drastic changes in the past 50+ years.
    BTW my guess includes any post season victories in the total.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  16. #856
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,048

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    But you could still at least venture a guess. You and I and a few others have been around this program for a long time and at least have a sense of historical perspective. We have seen some drastic changes in the past 50+ years.
    BTW my guess includes any post season victories in the total.

    15

  17. #857
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,048

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Today is 1 August 2017. There are 60 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.


    No complete roster yet.

  18. #858
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,243

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Same wishes to you. Life has settled and without any traumatic events I must say this has been the best summer in some time. If we had set up a poll of some sort it would be interesting to see just how everyone here truly feels about this upcoming season as far as how many total wins they expect. i would start it off with a somewhat optimistic 18. With about 9 incoming new boys along with the new coach, we are looking at a lot of changes but I do not think that number unreasonable.
    Optimism is certainly on the rise across the entire country these days. and we're no exception. Do I think we'll get over 500 this upcoming year? I'm not THAT optimistic (not that I'd mind), although I do believe we'll see an improvement this year (granted I don't know if we could get any lower) to set us up for 500 and a decent playoff run. I'd predict we hit Union's old goal this year (400), and then a steady rise.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  19. #859
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,159

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Same wishes to you. Life has settled and without any traumatic events I must say this has been the best summer in some time. If we had set up a poll of some sort it would be interesting to see just how everyone here truly feels about this upcoming season as far as how many total wins they expect. i would start it off with a somewhat optimistic 18. With about 9 incoming new boys along with the new coach, we are looking at a lot of changes but I do not think that number unreasonable.
    I think that I would be very happy with the team finishing one game over .500.
    I believe that we have some very talented players returning and I hope that Smith can get the best out of them and the new guys.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  20. #860
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dillsburg, PA
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I think that I would be very happy with the team finishing one game over .500.
    I believe that we have some very talented players returning and I hope that Smith can get the best out of them and the new guys.
    I would be ecstatic if the team finished over .500, but I'm not optimistic that they'll come close to that. After all, RPI's coming off a season when their winning percentage was .230.

    I agree that we have some talented players returning, but they don't include anybody like Bob Brinkworth and Jerry Knightley, with whom Rube Bjorkman was blessed upon his arrival in Troy. With those two and the rest of what he inherited from Ned Harkness, Bjorkman went on to achieve a .692 winning percentage in 1963-64, the best of any RPI head coach in his first year.

    If Dave Smith does half that well, I won't be too unhappy about it. 11-22-4 this season (including 1-2 in the postseason) would work out to a winning percentage of .351. That's as optimistic a prediction as I'm willing to make.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •