Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

  1. #341
    Not a player, I just crush a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht
    Posts
    25,258

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Hackett back I guess
    Not much of a reason for it. Minus Hackett and McBain would leave RPI with three netminders still: Perry, Marshall, and St. Denis.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

  2. #342
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    41

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Hackett back I guess
    Hackett is not coming back. Perry, Marshall and St Denis are the goaltenders right now for next year.

  3. #343
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,157

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Yeesh, with all this jumping of the ship, it feels like we were relegated in English football or something...

    Hopefully we have some good late recruits, or enough from what has been said as potentially being overloaded. Perhaps some of the players deferred to 18-19 come in earlier?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  4. #344
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,748

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Yeesh, with all this jumping of the ship, it feels like we were relegated in English football or something...

    Hopefully we have some good late recruits, or enough from what has been said as potentially being overloaded. Perhaps some of the players deferred to 18-19 come in earlier?
    On the plus side Smith is getting some players he may want and/or leftovers.

  5. #345
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,899

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    Hackett is not coming back. Perry, Marshall and St Denis are the goaltenders right now for next year.
    I am happy that Marshall is coming. I was concerned that we would lose him. He appears to be an improvement over Hackett and also it will space our goaltenders out much better by class year.

  6. #346
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,899

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    On the plus side Smith is getting some players he may want and/or leftovers.
    Sadly at this time it is mostly leftovers. Jerry seems quite good in that regard.

  7. #347
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,157

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Sadly at this time it is mostly leftovers. Jerry seems quite good in that regard.
    The right man for the job can mold the kids to be competitive. Obviously there are some physical limits, and by no means should Smith be solely judged by this. We're probably going to be picked last or next to last; that much is inevitable. The right man for the job can flip the script, sort of like what happened with one of the other teams I used to follow (sadly the franchise was sold and moved) that was recently picked last and won the championship. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but anything can happen, and we'll see what this coach is really made of.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  8. #348
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    41

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Sadly at this time it is mostly leftovers. Jerry seems quite good in that regard.
    The Gentlemen's Agreement no longer exists .. soooooo if there is a player that Coach Smith likes that another team is putting off or just has committed out farther he can do all in his power to snag him and bring him in next year.

    I also believe that this team under this new leadership will be much better than anyone expects. There is talent among the returners. If players are put into the proper spot and roles are played as they should be, improvement in fortune can occur quickly. I believe we will see that this year. Am I being optimistic yes, but also realistic at the same time.

  9. #349
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,157

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    The Gentlemen's Agreement no longer exists .. soooooo if there is a player that Coach Smith likes that another team is putting off or just has committed out farther he can do all in his power to snag him and bring him in next year.

    I also believe that this team under this new leadership will be much better than anyone expects. There is talent among the returners. If players are put into the proper spot and roles are played as they should be, improvement in fortune can occur quickly. I believe we will see that this year. Am I being optimistic yes, but also realistic at the same time.
    That's certainly something that we all expect with a change in coaches. Sorry to see some of the players don't want to be along for the ride, but if we do better, maybe the correct guys left.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  10. #350
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,899

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    That's certainly something that we all expect with a change in coaches. Sorry to see some of the players don't want to be along for the ride, but if we do better, maybe the correct guys left.
    Bailey Conger follows the current POTUS on Twitter. We definitely don't want him.

  11. #351
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,157

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Bailey Conger follows the current POTUS on Twitter. We definitely don't want him.
    I'd be more worried about him following the other choice.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  12. #352
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    880

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Bailey Conger follows the current POTUS on Twitter. We definitely don't want him.
    While I absolutely can't stand P45, I'd recruit Ivanka if i thought she could put the puck in the net.

  13. #353
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    41,984

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    While I absolutely can't stand P45, I'd recruit Ivanka if i thought she could put the puck in the net.
    She does have other attributes (or hadn't you noticed?).
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  14. #354
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    185,899

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Today is 10 May 2017. There are 144 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

  15. #355
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,157

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    She does have other attributes (or hadn't you noticed?).
    I've seen nicer. At least for the one I prefer.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  16. #356
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    16

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    The new kid on the block wants to weigh in. How far this team goes will be absolutely determined by the impact of all the changes (coaching and player movement) on the team's psyche. Also, the past couple of seasons, the team has had terrible starts and then suddenly played alot better. SA's mantra that they were a tournament capable team never reached it's goal, but they did ultimately come together and played better as a team, indicating they have the capability. Why it took so long is the question. That being said whether they are last in the league or further up, it will all be determined by how well the coach instills the system and a positive attitude on the team. Look at schools like Princeton and Brown over the years. They were always at the bottom, but they always looked better than their records indicated. The Engineers need to be like that, a team not to be taken lightly by anyone at any time. Not just after the season is a lost cause. I would consider that a successful season. One to build on. Pick up a 20 goal scorer after establishing a presence and anything is possible.

  17. #357
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    41,984

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by 25+years View Post
    The new kid on the block wants to weigh in. How far this team goes will be absolutely determined by the impact of all the changes (coaching and player movement) on the team's psyche. Also, the past couple of seasons, the team has had terrible starts and then suddenly played alot better. SA's mantra that they were a tournament capable team never reached it's goal, but they did ultimately come together and played better as a team, indicating they have the capability. Why it took so long is the question. That being said whether they are last in the league or further up, it will all be determined by how well the coach instills the system and a positive attitude on the team. Look at schools like Princeton and Brown over the years. They were always at the bottom, but they always looked better than their records indicated. The Engineers need to be like that, a team not to be taken lightly by anyone at any time. Not just after the season is a lost cause. I would consider that a successful season. One to build on. Pick up a 20 goal scorer after establishing a presence and anything is possible.
    Nice first post. Could not agree more and this coming from 54+ years. This coming season may well be the most unpredictable one in RPI history. We have only to wait until October to get our first inking but at this early stage, everyone should just think positively.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  18. #358
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    41,984

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    Wow - you guys are making me blush! Sorry to be so late responding, but thanks so much for the high praise! And Dr. D, seeing that you were back on the boards was a big part of the reason I decided to give it a go too. Seems to me like you have always been the voice of reason here, so if you're around things can't get too far out of hand! I expect to be at Princeton next year as usual - hoping to see you and Jenny there.
    Charlene, I only remained on the sidelines since I had little positive to say. I have not and will not ever give up on our boys. i wish i could say the same for our administration. Happy to have you chiming in and will do everything we can to make sure we meet up in Princeton. We are usually not too difficult to find.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  19. #359
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,115

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by 25+years View Post
    The new kid on the block wants to weigh in. How far this team goes will be absolutely determined by the impact of all the changes (coaching and player movement) on the team's psyche. Also, the past couple of seasons, the team has had terrible starts and then suddenly played alot better. SA's mantra that they were a tournament capable team never reached it's goal, but they did ultimately come together and played better as a team, indicating they have the capability. Why it took so long is the question. That being said whether they are last in the league or further up, it will all be determined by how well the coach instills the system and a positive attitude on the team. Look at schools like Princeton and Brown over the years. They were always at the bottom, but they always looked better than their records indicated. The Engineers need to be like that, a team not to be taken lightly by anyone at any time. Not just after the season is a lost cause. I would consider that a successful season. One to build on. Pick up a 20 goal scorer after establishing a presence and anything is possible.
    Welcome to the board.
    I agree with most of what you said.
    During Seth's reign, a player's parent told me that the season didn't start until January. I believe that was a statement that was delivered by SA himself.
    I totally disagree with that. You can't spend three months trying to find out what kind of team you have. The season starts with the first drop of the puck.
    You have three quarters of the team that has already played together. You know what you have going in.
    As for Mr. Smith, he may need time to understand what kind of team he has.
    I know that the NCAA has rules about coaches contact with players during the off season, but is he allowed to view tapes and have interviews with the players?
    He needs to be prepared for what ever. I don't know what to expect this year, but I look forward to a new beginning at RPI.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  20. #360
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,157

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Welcome to the board.
    I agree with most of what you said.
    During Seth's reign, a player's parent told me that the season didn't start until January. I believe that was a statement that was delivered by SA himself.
    I totally disagree with that. You can't spend three months trying to find out what kind of team you have. The season starts with the first drop of the puck.
    You have three quarters of the team that has already played together. You know what you have going in.
    As for Mr. Smith, he may need time to understand what kind of team he has.
    I know that the NCAA has rules about coaches contact with players during the off season, but is he allowed to view tapes and have interviews with the players?
    He needs to be prepared for what ever. I don't know what to expect this year, but I look forward to a new beginning at RPI.
    It's actually quite the 180 from what was happening when he first came in, where October was the highlight of the season before things just fell apart. What it pretty much boils down to is that he was a one trick pony, and tried to time when to play his hand. What I expect to see from Coach Smith are "Plan B", "Plan C", and so on.

    Don't the kids usually have "Captain's Practices" while staying in town in the summer? And if they're doing it in what is effectively public domain (usually buildings are privately owned obviously, but "open to the public" for certain hours), what's to stop the coach from "dropping by" and observing, but not saying anything? Especially if other "public" (i.e. locals that follow the team) happen to drop by?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •