This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

I am going out for few hours. Since several people think that I have to start the threads, I am starting this in advance because undoubtedly there will be a lot of posts due to the press conference. If there is a great surprise and someone else is named coach, you are on your own.

Previous thread http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...26#post6478326
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I am going out for few hours. Since several people think that I have to start the threads, I am starting this in advance because undoubtedly there will be a lot of posts due to the press conference. If there is a great surprise and someone else is named coach, you are on your own.
    Previous thread http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...26#post6478326
    Anyone feel he danced a little around the funding support question? Not like he could come right out and throw out a number.

Comment

Shirley mentioned a $20 mil commitment to the HFH (a warm-up facility, apparently) and some "other commitments" I took this as a good sign for the program...

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Anyone feel he danced a little around the funding support question? Not like he could come right out and throw out a number.
        I was a little surprised they tossed this one to the new guy to answer. However, I think he handled it well. He couldn't toss out figures but he made it clear that he'd researched the issue and was comfortable with the support he'd receive. Assuming they follow through that should take that potential excuse off the table.

I was glad to hear the thanks to Coach Vines and Coach Graham and that they would be meeting further. While I can't judge their performance (the buck really stops with the HC), with recruiting being a 12-36 month pre-enrollment activity, some continuity may help to keep those committed and to further interest in those considering RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          I'm shocked anyone would actually expect a number from a private institution. However, to hear that the administration is open to his funding needs is a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
            I was a little surprised they tossed this one to the new guy to answer. However, I think he handled it well. He couldn't toss out figures but he made it clear that he'd researched the issue and was comfortable with the support he'd receive. Assuming they follow through that should take that potential excuse off the table.

I was glad to hear the thanks to Coach Vines and Coach Graham and that they would be meeting further. While I can't judge their performance (the buck really stops with the HC), with recruiting being a 12-36 month pre-enrollment activity, some continuity may help to keep those committed and to further interest in those considering RPI.
            Also, not that it matters, but I was surprised to hear that Fridge was in attendance.
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
              Shirley mentioned a $20 mil commitment to the HFH (a warm-up facility, apparently) and some "other commitments" I took this as a good sign for the program...
              I hope it includes a stage for the band. Right now they're being tossed in the corner like third class steerage...

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                Also, not that it matters, but I was surprised to hear that Fridge was in attendance.
                I'm not. Hasn't he done a lot of hockey stuff with TWC (now Spectrum) Sports, and isn't his family still residents of Troy? Obviously I don't know if he was there on the clock (probably not), but why not take interest in the community? It didn't seem like he left on bad terms...

Comment

BTW, with a new coach at the helm, will "Music!" be changing? I know it changed when Fridgen left and Appert came in...

Comment

That surprised me too. I wonder if he was there in any sort of official role or just because he still feels some connection - either to RPI or to Smith. It might be the latter since Smith mentioned speaking with Dan while pursuing the position.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      BTW, with a new coach at the helm, will "Music!" be changing? I know it changed when Fridgen left and Appert came in...
                      If you're referring to the WRPI music, if you really think the coach cares about that, as my grandfather used to say, "you're nuttier than a fruitcake."
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

... "you're nuttier than a fruitcake."
                        This. So much this.
                        Originally posted by moe24
                        Thread over... REDRocket wins!!!

Comment

If you're referring to the WRPI music, if you really think the coach cares about that, as my grandfather used to say, "you're nuttier than a fruitcake."
                          So it was just coincidence, eh?

Comment

It looks like I don't have to change the thread title.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

I agree. However the question is how did Vines and Graham do in their coaching roles and much of our complaints really should have been aimed at SA?
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                              X