X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

More from the hockey banquet:

In a departure from previous years, the awards were given out before dinner and were all announced by Al Shibley. In the past, they alternated awards and senior speeches and had a different presenter for each award - sometimes former players like Matt Murley and Scott Basiuk, sometimes RPI vice presidents and other distinguished admins. This year Al Shibley just announced each award and the assistant coaches handed them out.

The Freshman of the Year was Jacob Hayhurst, which was not a surprise since he was the leading freshman scorer and third-highest scorer on the team with seven goals and 13 assists. Jacob was on crutches tonight, which is hopefully a very temporary situation.

The Erick James '99 Student-Athlete of the Year is always the player with the highest GPA. This year it was Mike Prapavessis, who has a cumulative GPA of 3.85 and had a perfect 4.0 last semester. Mike is a Business & Management major.

The Best Defensive Player award went to Jared Wilson. In announcing this award, Al Shibley said "as much as opposing goalies feared his shots, opposing forwards also feared his hits." Since Jared was the highest-scoring defenseman on the team and the second-highest goal-scorer overall with 11 goals and 6 assists, the first part of that definitely rings true. Then again, the award was for best defensive player, not best defenseman so I'm not sure that really should have factored in. But whatever - I like Jared.

The Ben Mayo Most Inspirational Player was Jake Wood. Unfortunately, the whole announcement of this award was about Ben Mayo and they never really said why Jake was chosen to receive it. He certainly has had a lot of injuries to deal with (he's currently recovering from shoulder surgery) and, well, there may have been a few times that he got himself in a bit of hot water for the penalties he took. Maybe he was inspirational in how he dealt with all that. That's just a guess but either way I'm good with the choice. I like Jake too.

The Most Improved Player was Jake Marrello. They referred to him as having to "jump in with both feet as a late addition to the 16-17 team" but I'm not sure what that meant since he was on the roster and played sporadically all year. Was he a late commit maybe? At any rate, I guess they felt he improved a lot as the year went on. He did do his scoring late in the season, with two goals and an assist from the end of January on. I haven't talked to Jake much yet, but I bet I'd like him if I knew him.

The Community Service Award went to Parker Reno. The whole team has been very involved in community service, volunteering at the Early Childhood Education Center, working with Habitat for Humanity and reading to school children among other things. I don't know how the awards were decided this year, but this one at least must have been voted on by the team since Al Shibley said that "in the eyes of his teammates" Parker went above and beyond what the rest of the team was doing.

And finally, the Most Valuable Player this year was, no surprise, Riley Bourbonnais. Riley was co-captain of the team, has a 3.3 GPA in Industrial & Management Engineering, and was the team's leading scorer with 17 goals and 14 assists for 31 points. What a slouch. But I like Riley too, even if he is allergic to my cats.

And just to be thorough - yes, I also like Jacob and Mike and Parker. I'll let you know if an RPI hockey player comes along who I don't like. It's never happened yet.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of me now. I'll cover speeches some other time soon.
    Charlene

Comment

Today is 23 April 2017. There are 161 days (23 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
        More from the hockey banquet:

In a departure from previous years, the awards were given out before dinner and were all announced by Al Shibley. In the past, they alternated awards and senior speeches and had a different presenter for each award - sometimes former players like Matt Murley and Scott Basiuk, sometimes RPI vice presidents and other distinguished admins. This year Al Shibley just announced each award and the assistant coaches handed them out.
        Charlene, thanks.

Were the posts here about Vines having left incorrect?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Charlene, thanks.

Were the posts here about Vines having left incorrect?
          Sorry, Ralph - which posts do you mean? The only one I recall seeing is your recent post pointing out that Vines is no longer in the Staff Directory, which we know to be true. Did I miss something?

Actually, when I last looked I thought Bryan was listed. but not linked to any information. Now he's not listed at all although Nolan Graham still is.
          Charlene

Comment

Sorry, Ralph - which posts do you mean? The only one I recall seeing is your recent post pointing out that Vines is no longer in the Staff Directory, which we know to be true. Did I miss something?

Actually, when I last looked I thought Bryan was listed. but not linked to any information. Now he's not listed at all although Nolan Graham still is.
            Yes, that post by me and some replies. At least I think that there were replies.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'm still not finding any replies - just your initial post. Are you sure you're not thinking of the listserv? There was a similar discussion there.

At any rate, I don't have any insights into what's going on with Bryan Vines and why he and Nolan Graham are being treated differently in the directory. I can only think of two possibilities: either Bryan has indicated he's not interested in staying on even if asked (maybe he's already found another position?) or Nolan has been asked to stay on and Bryan has not. As I mentioned, they were both at the banquet and, while Nolan had more to say, giving the season highlights (or more accurately, lowlights), they did both take turns introducing the seniors for their speeches.

Personally, I'd love to see Nolan stay on, but I know a lot of people feel it's better if the new broom sweeps clean, and most coaches probably agree.
              Charlene

Comment

Hi Charlene - glad to have you back and thanks for the updates!
                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

I'm still not finding any replies - just your initial post. Are you sure you're not thinking of the listserv? There was a similar discussion there.

At any rate, I don't have any insights into what's going on with Bryan Vines and why he and Nolan Graham are being treated differently in the directory. I can only think of two possibilities: either Bryan has indicated he's not interested in staying on even if asked (maybe he's already found another position?) or Nolan has been asked to stay on and Bryan has not. As I mentioned, they were both at the banquet and, while Nolan had more to say, giving the season highlights (or more accurately, lowlights), they did both take turns introducing the seniors for their speeches.

Personally, I'd love to see Nolan stay on, but I know a lot of people feel it's better if the new broom sweeps clean, and most coaches probably agree.
                  When I look at our power play when both Monty and Graham were coaching, I notice they both looked eerily similar. Obviously this is going to happen when you are part of a head coach's general strategy. Perhaps Graham was quite hampered by the Appert strategy, and was able to convince Coach Smith that he could definitely do better with a change in general strategy? Perhaps being an alumnus helped in terms of keeping a position? Maybe this is all speculation and Smith is going to bring in his own people?

Whatever happens happens. The one thing I really hope to see is that the systems adapt to the players, not the other way around. Too many times these kids were square pegs being thrown into round holes left by a previous round hole that the previous coach used to use as a crutch in some of the press conferences (don't want to name names, but the round peg wore #21). Hockey is a game of creativity, not just some set patterns like you'd see in American football. It is also a team sport, and although players will want to emerge as individuals (whether for scouting reasons or something else), showcasing the individual talents as part of the team will advance both the individual players and the team.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    When I look at our power play when both Monty and Graham were coaching, I notice they both looked eerily similar. Obviously this is going to happen when you are part of a head coach's general strategy. Perhaps Graham was quite hampered by the Appert strategy, and was able to convince Coach Smith that he could definitely do better with a change in general strategy? Perhaps being an alumnus helped in terms of keeping a position? Maybe this is all speculation and Smith is going to bring in his own people?

Whatever happens happens. The one thing I really hope to see is that the systems adapt to the players, not the other way around. Too many times these kids were square pegs being thrown into round holes left by a previous round hole that the previous coach used to use as a crutch in some of the press conferences (don't want to name names, but the round peg wore #21). Hockey is a game of creativity, not just some set patterns like you'd see in American football. It is also a team sport, and although players will want to emerge as individuals (whether for scouting reasons or something else), showcasing the individual talents as part of the team will advance both the individual players and the team.
                    I did some calculations for a discussion on the listserv earlier this year and just spent a few minutes updating them to take this season's final stats into account. You're right that Nolan's and Monty's numbers are similar, but Nolan actually shows up a little better in every category I looked at. In the case of the power play, Monty's four-year average was 12.3% while Nolan's seven-year average was 16.3%. In goals per game, Nolan's average was 2.45, Monty's was 2.32. And the team's winning percentage was .382 with Monty, .439 with Nolan (even with this dismal last season added in!). None of these numbers are impressive, but it seems noteworthy to me that Nolan Graham managed to get better results under Seth Appert than the current NCAA Coach of the Year and Frozen Four winner did. Just sayin'.
                    Charlene

Comment

You could be correct that I am mixing this thread with your list server.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 24 April 2017. There are 160 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I did some calculations for a discussion on the listserv earlier this year and just spent a few minutes updating them to take this season's final stats into account. You're right that Nolan's and Monty's numbers are similar, but Nolan actually shows up a little better in every category I looked at. In the case of the power play, Monty's four-year average was 12.3% while Nolan's seven-year average was 16.3%. In goals per game, Nolan's average was 2.45, Monty's was 2.32. And the team's winning percentage was .382 with Monty, .439 with Nolan (even with this dismal last season added in!). None of these numbers are impressive, but it seems noteworthy to me that Nolan Graham managed to get better results under Seth Appert than the current NCAA Coach of the Year and Frozen Four winner did. Just sayin'.
                          There are plenty of other factors that could also play into it, such as the "his kids" excuse (hence why Smith was given a five year contract; it's not morally right to judge a coach of a juniors league solely on a hand he/she is dealt when the coaching staff does recruit; remember how PP% skyrocketed after Pirri's (or was it D'Amigo's) "guarantee"), and we're also just assuming Monty was responsible for getting the power play to work; Appert could have wanted to control it all when he started. I was actually surprised to see we were 21.3% on the power play this past year, which is a very solid number even for a tournament bound team; the national champions had the exact same pecentage. If Graham was "hampered" by the general strategy, and he could get the kids to pull those sorts of numbers on the power play, imagine what he could do 5v5... it wouldn't surprise me if, should he not take a HC job in juniors, he stays.

Comment

Thanks. It's nice to be back. And you're welcome - thanks for reading!
                            Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              There are plenty of other factors that could also play into it, such as the "his kids" excuse (hence why Smith was given a five year contract; it's not morally right to judge a coach of a juniors league solely on a hand he/she is dealt when the coaching staff does recruit; remember how PP% skyrocketed after Pirri's (or was it D'Amigo's) "guarantee"), and we're also just assuming Monty was responsible for getting the power play to work; Appert could have wanted to control it all when he started. I was actually surprised to see we were 21.3% on the power play this past year, which is a very solid number even for a tournament bound team; the national champions had the exact same pecentage. If Graham was "hampered" by the general strategy, and he could get the kids to pull those sorts of numbers on the power play, imagine what he could do 5v5... it wouldn't surprise me if, should he not take a HC job in juniors, he stays.
                              I agree in most respects. The five-years to judge is maybe a discussion for another time. I wasn't assuming, though, that Monty was responsible for getting the power play to work in any real sense. I certainly believe Coach Appert's strategies were overriding what his assistants did. I remember Jim Montgomery saying publicly during one of the seasons of truly dismal pp numbers that "I'm in charge of the power play, so I take full responsibility for its lack of success." I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. That's why I'm suggesting Nolan Graham may be a more capable coach than the numbers suggest.

I haven't paid close attention to Jim Montgomery's head coaching methods, except for watching this year's Frozen Four, but I'm gonna take a guess that he hasn't been running too many five-forward power plays.
                              Charlene

Comment

I agree in most respects. The five-years to judge is maybe a discussion for another time. I wasn't assuming, though, that Monty was responsible for getting the power play to work in any real sense. I certainly believe Coach Appert's strategies were overriding what his assistants did. I remember Jim Montgomery saying publicly during one of the seasons of truly dismal pp numbers that "I'm in charge of the power play, so I take full responsibility for its lack of success." I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. That's why I'm suggesting Nolan Graham may be a more capable coach than the numbers suggest.

I haven't paid close attention to Jim Montgomery's head coaching methods, except for watching this year's Frozen Four, but I'm gonna take a guess that he hasn't been running too many five-forward power plays.
                                The five forward PP isn't all that unheard of as I've seen it referenced a few times at the pro level (albeit usually with a 5x3; no specific examples sadly; obviously we only see PoI when goals are scored); the biggest key is that you need to control the puck and have a forward or two defensively minded enough to not leave yourself exposed to where the opposition gets 2 SHG.

It's been a very long time since I've seen a game Monty head coached (whether with Denver or Dubuque), so I don't recall.

Comment

Working...
                                X