Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Re: WCHA offseason thread 2017.

More renovations to Bowling Green's Slater Family Ice Arena. It also mentions the current study underway to expand the facility.
    http://www.sent-trib.com/sports/reno...20ec48258.html

So, anyone hearing ASU to the WCHA will be announced at the AHCA convention in Naples?

Still upright

I'm sure they will be. I hate ASU and I dislike the coach they have, but they are coming in.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017

Now with Mel Pearson gone, who will be the next WCHA representative to the NCAA tournament selection committee (which should be called the tournament placement committee since they have no say over who gets in anymore)?

I love (goal) lamp

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Now with Mel Pearson gone, who will be the next WCHA representative to the NCAA tournament selection committee (which should be called the tournament placement committee since they have no say over who gets in anymore)?
    Hastings or Serratore are my guesses.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I'm sure they will be. I hate ASU and I dislike the coach they have, but they are coming in.
    You hate ASU? I never would have guessed!

A few weeks ago I thought ASU to the WCHA was a done deal. Now I'm more like 65-35. There were some internal thoughts about there being another conference shift and waiting for that to sort itself out would be a better idea. Then there is weighing the additional money that they would probably have to pay to offset visiting team travel and their desire to not be locked into the conference by virtue of a contract. The next few weeks should answer many of these questions based on the decisions that are made. I personally would find it hard to believe they don't get into a conference. They just signed the 12th-ranked recruiting class and the current group is tracking to be even better, so you would imagine they would want to get them some sort of postseason opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    So, anyone hearing ASU to the WCHA will be announced at the AHCA convention in Naples?
    2018-19 season entry I believe

I don't see ASU in the WCHA for much longer than a decade, but I don't have a huge problem with them joining, as long as it works out financially.

I would hate to think they are just being brought in as insurance in case one, or both Alaska schools drop(s), but such is business.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I don't see ASU in the WCHA for much longer than a decade, but I don't have a huge problem with them joining, as long as it works out financially.

I would hate to think they are just being brought in as insurance in case one, or both Alaska schools drop(s), but such is business.
    Hell, the WCHA won't look like it does now in a decade.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

I love (goal) lamp

Why do you hate ASU?

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Hell, the WCHA won't look like it does now in a decade.

GFM
    MSU, BSU and or MTU I can definitely see gone to greener pastures. Don't forget BGSU/Ferris and other teams with travel concerns, but can they do anything? UA(A) will accept anything, same with ASU at this point.
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Why do you hate ASU?
    I'm not agains them coming in to the league. I think the league will benefit from them being here and for however long it is. I also think it's the right move if you are them. However, I don't like what I see as lying to the recruits in order to get them in the door. And I don't much like the style of play they have. They are very physical and not always as sportsmanlike as they should be.
    but yeah, it will be an asset to the league. And btw no matter what league it is, they will have to subsidize travel.

I love (goal) lamp

I'm not agains them coming in to the league. I think the league will benefit from them being here and for however long it is. I also think it's the right move if you are them. However, I don't like what I see as lying to the recruits in order to get them in the door. And I don't much like the style of play they have. They are very physical and not always as sportsmanlike as they should be.
    but yeah, it will be an asset to the league. And btw no matter what league it is, they will have to subsidize travel.
    I never heard anything about the lying to recruits thing, care to explain, a PM is fine if you don't want to post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    I never heard anything about the lying to recruits thing, care to explain, a PM is fine if you don't want to post it here.
    I would like to hear as well and what kind of sources you have. I'm around this program a lot and have not seen none that. I talk to many of the parents in the stands and they all have nothing but great things to say. Now have players left? Absolutely. Will other players leave? Of course. No different than any other program. This program won't be a for everyone, but what program in any sport is? But I certainly take heart when a player like Baillargeon, who played here one year after playing three with BU, says it was his best year of hockey and he considers himself a Sun Devil. Now we do play a heavy, physical style. And if you look at our recruits, will continue to do so. But if you listen to many interviews with the coach that style was the quickest way to competing. I think that proved true last year in our first full D1 season. There are still some hurdles to address in the program, with the arena announcement being most critical, but in my opinion it is being built in the right way. This program recorded the highest GPA of any team in the athletic building. That's impressive for a lot of these guys who haven't experienced the true classroom environment in years. I'm not looking to change opinions, not my place, but figured I would share my experiences as someone who goes to every home game and travels some as well.

With all that said, I hope it works our for ASU and the WCHA. I enjoyed meeting the Tech fans a few years ago at our place and enjoy the conference. It would be a great landing spot for ASU. Go Devils!

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    As long as they agree to play 28 conference road games I don't see a problem with this. You have to have a rink to play home games and they are simply not going to have one by 2018-19 unless the Coyotes move to OR before then.
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Still upright

So any announcements I missed out on?

It looks like the schedules will be released later this week according to a post on the WCHA's Twitter.
    LSSU hockey-NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Arenas visited:
    Taffy Abel Arena (LSSU, 1992)
    Ewigleben Arena (Ferris State, 1997)
    Munn Ice Arena (Michigan State, 1997)
    Berry Events Center (NMU, 2007)
    Lawson Ice Arena (Western Michigan, 2009)
    John McInnes Ice Arena (Michigan Tech, 2009)
    Yost Ice Arena (Michigan, 2010)
    Joyce Ice Center/Compton Family Ice Arena (Notre Dame, 2010/2014)
    BGSU Ice Arena (BGSU, 2013)
    Kohl Center (Wisconsin, 2013)
    Ralph Engelstad Arena (North Dakota, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    It looks like the schedules will be released later this week according to a post on the WCHA's Twitter.
    NMU & Tech will play at Las Vegas with BC and Arizona St on Jan 5-6

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    So based on past history it should come out any time between now and May 31st.

I'm also guessing if we don't hear anything about ASU before the 17-18 WCHA schedule is released they are going to be without a conference home for at least another season if not two. If they are not in a conference for the 2018-19 season, anyone who cares about ASU D-I hockey better start hitting the panic button. The life of an independent D-I team is finite and they are already having trouble filling the second half of their seasons with legit games.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    So based on past history it should come out any time between now and May 31st.

I'm also guessing if we don't hear anything about ASU before the 17-18 WCHA schedule is released they are going to be without a conference home for at least another season if not two. If they are not in a conference for the 2018-19 season, anyone who cares about ASU D-I hockey better start hitting the panic button. The life of an independent D-I team is finite and they are already having trouble filling the second half of their seasons with legit games.
    Ryan
    I think its pretty much impossible for ASU to be in the WCHA for 2017-18 based on the number of games they have committed outside the WCHA. 2018-19 is possible and while I agree with you that life as an independent is difficult, ASU has name brand recognition in sports that goes a long way in helping them fill a schedule, not to mention a trip to Arizona in February sounds pretty nice to a lot of teams.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Thread Information