WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deman View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ended up in the WCHA. There was so much hullabaloo surrounding the commish's trip to ASU that I think it was inevitable (unless the B1G decided to let them join, but this was before they denied them).

But I do hope that, in addition to the travel dollars, that their acceptance is contingent on ASU putting shovels to dirt & getting an arena built. Not just a plan, look what happened with the Coyote's deal, but actual, tangible proof that an arena is being constructed.
    I'm calling first dibs on Alaska trips in October & early November, Arizona in January and Huntsville mid February!
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Originally posted by Deman View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ended up in the WCHA. There was so much hullabaloo surrounding the commish's trip to ASU that I think it was inevitable (unless the B1G decided to let them join, but this was before they denied them).

But I do hope that, in addition to the travel dollars, that their acceptance is contingent on ASU putting shovels to dirt & getting an arena built. Not just a plan, look what happened with the Coyote's deal, but actual, tangible proof that an arena is being constructed.
      Well given they subsidize travel I can see it. I wonder how this will affect the number of games.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Well given they subsidize travel I can see it. I wonder how this will affect the number of games.
        If this were to happen and you are an 11 team league, it opens many additional opportunities. Are there 3-game series and some 2? A bunch of 4's (home and home) and a mix of 2 games series? Do the playoffs stay at 8? Although I guess the Alaska situation plays into it as well. Naples will be interesting to see what comes out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
          It's my understanding that ASU has applied to the WCHA and, will present a proposal that includes a fairly significant travel cost coverage -- similar to what the Alaska's and Huntsville currently provide to the league -- at the meetings in Naples later this month. It's also my understanding that their acceptance is basically a done deal. I've also heard a plan for a new arena will be announced either at that time or, shortly afterwards. I haven't heard any information regarding conditions (buy out or not) on long-term membership. Nor, have I heard anything about how their addition may or may not affect the playoff format. I also haven't heard of any other teams joining. From what I've heard, the NCHC doesn't have any interest in adding Mankato in the near future so, my understanding is they're in the WCHA for the foreseeable future. Do I trust my sourcing? Absolutely. Have I been wrong before based on their info? Absolutely.....

Now, if other things that are rumored to possibly be occurring (UND to B10) actually do occur, does that affect the long-term stability of the league? Yes, then all bets are off..... So, much like most statements on these forums, take them for what they're worth.
          I've heard the exact same thing about ASU coming into the WCHA.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Miami, North Dakota, Penn State, NMU, BC, Lowell, Quinnipiac?
            You left out UNH, Vermont, and (if you combine the two) Canisius.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
              If this were to happen and you are an 11 team league, it opens many additional opportunities. Are there 3-game series and some 2? A bunch of 4's (home and home) and a mix of 2 games series? Do the playoffs stay at 8? Although I guess the Alaska situation plays into it as well. Naples will be interesting to see what comes out of there.
              Playoff should stay at 8, you get home ice, you want in earn it. The mix of games can vary as need be

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                Playoff should stay at 8, you get home ice, you want in earn it. The mix of games can vary as need be
                I love the playoff with teams being eliminated. No participation ribbons here!

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                  I love the playoff with teams being eliminated. No participation ribbons here!
                  I agree and like the new on-campus formats. MTU looked great during the championship game.

Comment

I am kind of torn on the whole 24 game schedule. Part of me would love to see it just because it would open up some dates to try and get SCSU and Minnesota on the Beavers' schedule. You could then "revive" the North Star College Cup and just have it as a round robin schedule with Bemidji, Mankato, Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth and St. Cloud. Of course the two games that count between Bemidji and Mankato would have to be stated ahead of time, but I think that would be interesting.

The down side of a 24 game schedule is still the fact you have to find willing dance partners. As stated by others, would WCHA teams get locked into 2 for 1 deals? Would we just see a bunch of non-conference games between conference opponents? I don't think any of the fans want to see that and those types of games would do very little for the Pairwise Rankings.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

As the fan of a team in a former league with a 20-game league schedule, I think going below 28 is a fool's game that you'll lose every time. Even the B1G having a small schedule just hasn't opened up the NC slate. But then I should keep putting fingers to a keyboard on 24 first...

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I don't see ASU getting into a conference until they are moving dirt at their new rink site. Since there isn't even a valid proposal on the table anymore, I don't see ASU being a conference member in the next two seasons. Best they could hope for at this point is some sort of non-conference scheduling agreement.
                        Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                          The WCHA won't go to single game series for one simple reason - travel costs. You can get away with split weeks out East (play team X Friday, play team Y Saturday) because the teams are what, six city blocks apart? If someone is making a trip to play team X in the WCHA, they are going to play two games before they leave town. Having 11 teams just gives you a really unbalanced schedule or an extremely long rotation before everything is "fair" from a scheduling stand point.
                          Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            The WCHA won't go to single game series for one simple reason - travel costs. You can get away with split weeks out East (play team X Friday, play team Y Saturday) because the teams are what, six city blocks apart? If someone is making a trip to play team X in the WCHA, they are going to play two games before they leave town. Having 11 teams just gives you a really unbalanced schedule or an extremely long rotation before everything is "fair" from a scheduling stand point.
                            Ryan J
                            It would be unbalanced, but I remember working our a rotation years ago when there was talk of adding BSU to the old 10-team WCHA.

Each team would have two designated rivals that they play 4x each year and the rest of the schedule would rotate over 8 years, versus the 4 years now...

For an 11-team WCHA with current teams these would make sense for rivals:

ASU: UAA, UA_
                            UAA: UA_, ASU
                            UA_: UAA, ASU
                            UAH: BGSU, BSU
                            BGSU: UAH, FSU
                            BSU: MSU, UAH
                            FSU: BGSU, LSSU
                            LSSU: NMU, FSU
                            MSU: BSU, MTU
                            MTU: NMU, MSU
                            NMU: MTU, LSSU
                            Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 04-07-2017, 12:42 PM.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              Ryan J
                              CCHA had two different stints with 11 teams: 1996-1999 and 2010-2013. They also went 1984-1992 with nine teams.

From what I have looked up, for the 1996-1999 years, the CCHA played a mix of full weekend series and split weekends so each team played 30 league games.

Obviously the WCHA isn't going to increase to 30 league games.

The schedule is going to be unbalanced no matter what. Who gives a sh**? Not unless we cut to eight teams like the NCHC and play each other four times a year.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                CCHA had two different stints with 11 teams: 1996-1999 and 2010-2013. They also went 1984-1992 with nine teams.

From what I have looked up, for the 1996-1999 years, the CCHA played a mix of full weekend series and split weekends so each team played 30 league games.

Obviously the WCHA isn't going to increase to 30 league games.

The schedule is going to be unbalanced no matter what. Who gives a sh**? Not unless we cut to eight teams like the NCHC and play each other four times a year.
                                The NCHC doesn't even do that...they play 24 games...the issue with the 11 team schedule is the unbalanced nature of the extra designated rival. In my example, if one of UAA, UA_, ASU does well in their 8 games against the other two, there is a clear advantage there...thankfully for the other 8 teams, I didn't break any of them into a complete set where all their rivals are with each other...Thats where the issue comes. All the other teams to have one perceived good team and one perceived bad team...and if we stick to 8 teams making playoffs, that unbalance could be perceived as unfair in determining who wins home ice, who gets to go on the road and who stays home because someone got to play the bad teams way more than the good ones, etc. It just gets exaggerated when you add more teams and less of the schedule is about rotating.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X