Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    What do you know about this Las Vegas tournament?
    I know that it is the first weekend in January at the new NHL arena. The rest from the interview said would be released by the promoter soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
      I know that it is the first weekend in January at the new NHL arena. The rest from the interview said would be released by the promoter soon.
      Hmm, ok, I have heard that MTU is part of this tournament...actually a little disappointed to hear that ASU is part of it since MTU already is scheduled to host ASU this season (from what I've heard).
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Hmm, ok, I have heard that MTU is part of this tournament...actually a little disappointed to hear that ASU is part of it since MTU already is scheduled to host ASU this season (from what I've heard).
        I also thought ASU was scheduled to go to MTU this year, but wonder if that has been pushed back. It hasn't come up in any of the interviews and just about all of the schedule has been spoken for. Guess we will see all that soon. But if ASU were to be going to MTU, I would guess we would be opposite ends of the first day in Vegas. On a selfish note, I would enjoy having you guys in Vegas. The fans were awesome at Gila two years ago and a great group to chat with.

Comment

What do you know about this Las Vegas tournament?
          I think you'll find some birds and some kitties there that weekend too.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
            I'll try not to go to deep with this but:

"JUNEAU — The Alaska Senate's Republican-led majority on Monday followed through on its pledge to cut 5 percent from schools, pairing that proposal with a new cut to the university system and legislation to eliminate a state-sponsored scholarship program."

UA is facing a vote for getting $21.7 million getting cut from an already thin budget. UAA is becoming a shell of itself (which is not saying a lot), and UA_ shut down a dorm due to low usage (another failed water test on campus too?). Meanwhile all the mini-satellite campus over our sparsely populated state are still running.

Last year a similar cut didn't have the chance to get voted on. Attendance was down this school year, Jim Johnsen maybe it was the public knowledge of sports possibly getting cut from any or both schools, professors leaving left and right, the recession which is now in full effect statewide, low oil prices remain, etc.

The bright point is that now at 9 pm, it's still pretty light outside.

Oh and that performance based scholarship was a huge factor for many of my friends slumming it and staying for college in Alaska.
            We are witnessing political football with UA right now. Senate wants concessions on an income tax from the House so they're holding UA and public education hostage. It'll get hashed out in conference committee like it does every year. Not worth getting too riled up just yet, but there will be opportunities for public comment in short order.

Also...nonprofit participation and giving is way down across the state because of the recession. That's bled over to athletics as well, IMO. The additional combination of high paying jobs leaving the state (meaning less disposable income) along with UA laying off 900 people so far statewide doesn't exactly help either.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
              I think you'll find some birds and some kitties there that weekend too.
              Miami, North Dakota, Penn State, NMU, BC, Lowell, Quinnipiac?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Ferris has had Home & Homes with Western the past two years. Huntsville had a swap with Colorado College. The two Alaska early season tournaments/showcases had been their home non-conference play.
                UAA had a home and home with Penn State recently, and we did a home and home with Western Michigan since the split.

I've heard we have to play UAA six times next season (with two games as a non-conference home and home). I think that blows for a variety of reasons (doesn't really do anything to elevate either program, and does jack squat to help out the conference in PWR), but times are tough right now and it saves some coin.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Say that all you want but I don't think we're really that worried about BSU, MSU, or BGSU all 3 are located very close to a couple NCHC teams so they are desirable. It is impressive that NMU has gotten some 1 for 1s with both UMD and UNO. But what about FSU, LSSU, UAH, and the Alaska schools?
                  As for LSSU, we had an away series with UNO, not sure if there is some sort of reciprocation there anytime soon. We are rumored to be playing Denver sometime in the next few years, don't think I've heard any specifics, but I think it's a home series for us. We've also played away at NoDak recently, but haven't heard anything about hosting them either.

So, LSSU has had a few cracks at different NCHC teams too.
                  LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

If each WCHA team played 6 NC games and won them all, no one would be worried about playing more NC games. It is only the recent lack of NC success that brings up this discussion and desire to play more NC games. Playing 12 NC games each and going 25-90-5 in those games isn't going to help anything. If you win 75% of your NC games, suddenly the WCHA gets the "NCHC effect" where playing more conference games builds your PWR because everyone did their job in NC play.
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      If each WCHA team played 6 NC games and won them all, no one would be worried about playing more NC games. It is only the recent lack of NC success that brings up this discussion and desire to play more NC games. Playing 12 NC games each and going 25-90-5 in those games isn't going to help anything. If you win 75% of your NC games, suddenly the WCHA gets the "NCHC effect" where playing more conference games builds your PWR because everyone did their job in NC play.
                      Ryan J
                      IF each team played 6 NC games and won them all, there would be no point in adding more...we'd probably get 4 teams in the tournament just based on that information alone.

Comment

A lot of this boils down to finances. So a few unrelated observations.

I don't think anyone is going to put asu in their league unless there is a rink under construction. I also don't think the WCHA is going to be a destination for them because they turned down the WCHA last year.
                        I think we ought to schedule atlantic hockey when we can because otherwise, as this year shows, we could end up below them in the power.
                        I'd like to see a few more ECAC schools in our schedule.
                        I'm sure a number of teams are interested in reducing the costs of transportation... So you can figure that Mankato is as good as gone. Just one year or maybe two later than planned. And when they are gone, the NCHC will get on their high horse and tell people it won't hurt the rest of college hockey.
                        I wonder how the NCHC teams feel about additional travel to Phoenix on top of what is already a difficult schedule.
                        The total BS that the fine gentleman from north dakota, Schlossmann puts out, about the NCHC caring about the rest of college hockey, is laughable.
                        I don't think teams will continue to schedule ASU in Arizona long term without a new rink.
                        I hope the league, after this years' playoffs, is more stable financially and I'm pretty sure they are. I'm hoping like crazy that translates into more help for the struggling teams and a better league performance nationally.
                        I think we have seen that the two for ones with the B1g are not a good deal for us. I think they will be fewer and fewer going forward as we get some substitute teams to play. I hope the ones we do are paid more highly, in effect requiring the big to subsidize some of our teams.
                        I'm somewhat surprised the big would go to 7 teams unless there is some other motivation.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          A lot of this boils down to finances. So a few unrelated observations.

I don't think anyone is going to put asu in their league unless there is a rink under construction. I also don't think the WCHA is going to be a destination for them because they turned down the WCHA last year.
                          I think we ought to schedule atlantic hockey when we can because otherwise, as this year shows, we could end up below them in the power.
                          I'd like to see a few more ECAC schools in our schedule.
                          I'm sure a number of teams are interested in reducing the costs of transportation... So you can figure that Mankato is as good as gone. Just one year or maybe two later than planned. And when they are gone, the NCHC will get on their high horse and tell people it won't hurt the rest of college hockey.
                          I wonder how the NCHC teams feel about additional travel to Phoenix on top of what is already a difficult schedule.
                          The total BS that the fine gentleman from north dakota, Schlossmann puts out, about the NCHC caring about the rest of college hockey, is laughable.
                          I don't think teams will continue to schedule ASU in Arizona long term without a new rink.
                          I hope the league, after this years' playoffs, is more stable financially and I'm pretty sure they are. I'm hoping like crazy that translates into more help for the struggling teams and a better league performance nationally.
                          I think we have seen that the two for ones with the B1g are not a good deal for us. I think they will be fewer and fewer going forward as we get some substitute teams to play. I hope the ones we do are paid more highly, in effect requiring the big to subsidize some of our teams.
                          I'm somewhat surprised the big would go to 7 teams unless there is some other motivation.
                          Regarding ASU, I think you will be getting your conference/arena announcements much sooner than you imagine. But I do love your interest and opinions on the program. If both our schools are in Vegas next year and you go, first round of drinks are on me!

Comment

It's my understanding that ASU has applied to the WCHA and, will present a proposal that includes a fairly significant travel cost coverage -- similar to what the Alaska's and Huntsville currently provide to the league -- at the meetings in Naples later this month. It's also my understanding that their acceptance is basically a done deal. I've also heard a plan for a new arena will be announced either at that time or, shortly afterwards. I haven't heard any information regarding conditions (buy out or not) on long-term membership. Nor, have I heard anything about how their addition may or may not affect the playoff format. I also haven't heard of any other teams joining. From what I've heard, the NCHC doesn't have any interest in adding Mankato in the near future so, my understanding is they're in the WCHA for the foreseeable future. Do I trust my sourcing? Absolutely. Have I been wrong before based on their info? Absolutely.....

Now, if other things that are rumored to possibly be occurring (UND to B10) actually do occur, does that affect the long-term stability of the league? Yes, then all bets are off..... So, much like most statements on these forums, take them for what they're worth.

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
                              It's my understanding that ASU has applied to the WCHA and, will present a proposal that includes a fairly significant travel cost coverage -- similar to what the Alaska's and Huntsville currently provide to the league -- at the meetings in Naples later this month. It's also my understanding that their acceptance is basically a done deal. I've also heard a plan for a new arena will be announced either at that time or, shortly afterwards. I haven't heard any information regarding conditions (buy out or not) on long-term membership. Nor, have I heard anything about how their addition may or may not affect the playoff format. I also haven't heard of any other teams joining. From what I've heard, the NCHC doesn't have any interest in adding Mankato in the near future so, my understanding is they're in the WCHA for the foreseeable future. Do I trust my sourcing? Absolutely. Have I been wrong before based on their info? Absolutely.....

Now, if other things that are rumored to possibly be occurring (UND to B10) actually do occur, does that affect the long-term stability of the league? Yes, then all bets are off..... So, much like most statements on these forums, take them for what they're worth.
                              This ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ended up in the WCHA. There was so much hullabaloo surrounding the commish's trip to ASU that I think it was inevitable (unless the B1G decided to let them join, but this was before they denied them).

But I do hope that, in addition to the travel dollars, that their acceptance is contingent on ASU putting shovels to dirt & getting an arena built. Not just a plan, look what happened with the Coyote's deal, but actual, tangible proof that an arena is being constructed.
                                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X