Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Hell, the WCHA won't look like it does now in a decade.

GFM
    MSU, BSU and or MTU I can definitely see gone to greener pastures. Don't forget BGSU/Ferris and other teams with travel concerns, but can they do anything? UA(A) will accept anything, same with ASU at this point.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
      Why do you hate ASU?
      I'm not agains them coming in to the league. I think the league will benefit from them being here and for however long it is. I also think it's the right move if you are them. However, I don't like what I see as lying to the recruits in order to get them in the door. And I don't much like the style of play they have. They are very physical and not always as sportsmanlike as they should be.
      but yeah, it will be an asset to the league. And btw no matter what league it is, they will have to subsidize travel.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        I'm not agains them coming in to the league. I think the league will benefit from them being here and for however long it is. I also think it's the right move if you are them. However, I don't like what I see as lying to the recruits in order to get them in the door. And I don't much like the style of play they have. They are very physical and not always as sportsmanlike as they should be.
        but yeah, it will be an asset to the league. And btw no matter what league it is, they will have to subsidize travel.
        I never heard anything about the lying to recruits thing, care to explain, a PM is fine if you don't want to post it here.
        2005-2006: 7-25-6
        2006-2007: 18-17-5
        2007-2008: 14-20-5
        2008-2009: 6-25-7
        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
          I never heard anything about the lying to recruits thing, care to explain, a PM is fine if you don't want to post it here.
          I would like to hear as well and what kind of sources you have. I'm around this program a lot and have not seen none that. I talk to many of the parents in the stands and they all have nothing but great things to say. Now have players left? Absolutely. Will other players leave? Of course. No different than any other program. This program won't be a for everyone, but what program in any sport is? But I certainly take heart when a player like Baillargeon, who played here one year after playing three with BU, says it was his best year of hockey and he considers himself a Sun Devil. Now we do play a heavy, physical style. And if you look at our recruits, will continue to do so. But if you listen to many interviews with the coach that style was the quickest way to competing. I think that proved true last year in our first full D1 season. There are still some hurdles to address in the program, with the arena announcement being most critical, but in my opinion it is being built in the right way. This program recorded the highest GPA of any team in the athletic building. That's impressive for a lot of these guys who haven't experienced the true classroom environment in years. I'm not looking to change opinions, not my place, but figured I would share my experiences as someone who goes to every home game and travels some as well.

With all that said, I hope it works our for ASU and the WCHA. I enjoyed meeting the Tech fans a few years ago at our place and enjoy the conference. It would be a great landing spot for ASU. Go Devils!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            So, anyone hearing ASU to the WCHA will be announced at the AHCA convention in Naples?
            As long as they agree to play 28 conference road games I don't see a problem with this. You have to have a rink to play home games and they are simply not going to have one by 2018-19 unless the Coyotes move to OR before then.
            Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

So any announcements I missed out on?

Comment

It looks like the schedules will be released later this week according to a post on the WCHA's Twitter.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  It looks like the schedules will be released later this week according to a post on the WCHA's Twitter.
                  NMU & Tech will play at Las Vegas with BC and Arizona St on Jan 5-6
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                    So based on past history it should come out any time between now and May 31st.

I'm also guessing if we don't hear anything about ASU before the 17-18 WCHA schedule is released they are going to be without a conference home for at least another season if not two. If they are not in a conference for the 2018-19 season, anyone who cares about ASU D-I hockey better start hitting the panic button. The life of an independent D-I team is finite and they are already having trouble filling the second half of their seasons with legit games.
                    Ryan
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Re: WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      So based on past history it should come out any time between now and May 31st.

I'm also guessing if we don't hear anything about ASU before the 17-18 WCHA schedule is released they are going to be without a conference home for at least another season if not two. If they are not in a conference for the 2018-19 season, anyone who cares about ASU D-I hockey better start hitting the panic button. The life of an independent D-I team is finite and they are already having trouble filling the second half of their seasons with legit games.
                      Ryan
                      I think its pretty much impossible for ASU to be in the WCHA for 2017-18 based on the number of games they have committed outside the WCHA. 2018-19 is possible and while I agree with you that life as an independent is difficult, ASU has name brand recognition in sports that goes a long way in helping them fill a schedule, not to mention a trip to Arizona in February sounds pretty nice to a lot of teams.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        I think its pretty much impossible for ASU to be in the WCHA for 2017-18 based on the number of games they have committed outside the WCHA. 2018-19 is possible and while I agree with you that life as an independent is difficult, ASU has name brand recognition in sports that goes a long way in helping them fill a schedule, not to mention a trip to Arizona in February sounds pretty nice to a lot of teams.
                        Arizona State already released its 2017-18 schedule:
                        http://www.thesundevils.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

BURRITOS VS. BISCUITS DEC. 1-2!
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                        U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                        NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                        CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                        CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                          Arizona State already released its 2017-18 schedule:
                          http://www.thesundevils.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

BURRITOS VS. BISCUITS DEC. 1-2!
                          Thirty two game schedule. Twelve games at home. And three of four February weekends booked.

That's impressive.

Sadly, MTU booked ASU a week too late. Should have booked them a week sooner, and asked them to bring some ringers with for Carnival queen competition.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Thirty two game schedule. Twelve games at home. And three of four February weekends booked.

That's impressive.

Sadly, MTU booked ASU a week too late. Should have booked them a week sooner, and asked them to bring some ringers with for Carnival queen competition.
                            It will be 34 games total. One tournament has yet to be released that was discussed at the team banquet. Our schedule is pretty solid with the teams coming to the Valley, the Vegas tourney and two trips to close by Colorado Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                              It will be 34 games total. One tournament has yet to be released that was discussed at the team banquet. Our schedule is pretty solid with the teams coming to the Valley, the Vegas tourney and two trips to close by Colorado Springs.
                              What, only 500 miles?

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                What, only 500 miles?
                                Well we have a decent alumni base up in the Denver area and I flew up last year for about $225 roundtrip. So yes, it is an easy trip from the Valley. We will be well represented at both weekends.

Comment

Working...
                                X