WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Well after some time off it's appropriate now to get into off-season discussions. I was thinking about the proposed 24 game schedule. I realize some people think it's a bad idea, but it does allow for more non conference games, and if you can win those you have a better shot at a higher ranking.
    Comments?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Well after some time off it's appropriate now to get into off-season discussions. I was thinking about the proposed 24 game schedule. I realize some people think it's a bad idea, but it does allow for more non conference games, and if you can win those you have a better shot at a higher ranking.
    Comments?
    WCHA teams are finding it difficult to get a decent split of non-conference games at home. Tech had none last year. NMU had 2. With four more non-conference slots to fill, other than Bemidji, Minnesota St & Bowling Green, don't be surprised to see teams even more badly overloaded with road games, or costly flights to the East Coast to keep the ratios at their already bad levels.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: WCHA offseason thread 2017.

With two AK schools in the conference, I feel WCHA teams can already get all the non-conference games they want (quantity wise). The real questions are can you get at least half of those NC games at home and how many off weeks do you want in your season. Also if the WCHA is as poor as some people like to think, they won't want to give up two conference home games.
      Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        WCHA teams are finding it difficult to get a decent split of non-conference games at home. Tech had none last year. NMU had 2. With four more non-conference slots to fill, other than Bemidji, Minnesota St & Bowling Green, don't be surprised to see teams even more badly overloaded with road games, or costly flights to the East Coast to keep the ratios at their already bad levels.
        Getting really tired of this sh*t. Unfortunately, I don't see a way out of it.

Comment

Picking up scheduling discussions from the Bemidji thread, can we confirm who has the "double Alaska" jaunt next season? This is not a complaint, just a request for information. Tech fans have heard multiple times in the last 4-6 months that we're doing it again next year.

Comment

Hi guys, ASU fan here. Looks like we will be back to having a few of you all on our schedule next year after having none last season. I was listening to the USCHO Live show today and they were talking about the conference and how keeping the Alaska's would be important to possibly keeping the conference in tact. Is there any instability that you all feel? The integration is around the 50 min mark of the show if you want to listen yourself. I still think this is probably the most likely landing spot for ASU. Not sure if you all view it as a positive, but seems to have been where the conversation always steers out here. Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
              Hi guys, ASU fan here. Looks like we will be back to having a few of you all on our schedule next year after having none last season. I was listening to the USCHO Live show today and they were talking about the conference and how keeping the Alaska's would be important to possibly keeping the conference in tact. Is there any instability that you all feel? The integration is around the 50 min mark of the show if you want to listen yourself. I still think this is probably the most likely landing spot for ASU. Not sure if you all view it as a positive, but seems to have been where the conversation always steers out here. Thanks for your thoughts in advance!
              From talking to both coaches in late January, they both think their programs are on solid footing. As for ASU, it seems plausible and could be a factor in the league exploring a 24 game schedule. I'd certainly welcome the trip to Tempe. Good luck to your program. Of course, the big questions as to a potential addition of ASU, is do they make a commitment to the WCHA with either a minimum length (say 5 years or 10 years) commitment or a stiff penalty for leaving the league, and would they provide travel subsidies a la the Alaskas & Huntsville?
              Last edited by davyd83; 04-06-2017, 12:25 AM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The most public instability is in Alaska with their state budget crisis, but the overall perception is that outside of Tech/Mankato/Bowling Green, the remaining schools all operate on shoestring budgets.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  The most public instability is in Alaska with their state budget crisis, but the overall perception is that outside of Tech/Mankato/Bowling Green, the remaining schools all operate on shoestring budgets.
                  Bemidji is pretty solidly budgeted as well. Of course Minnesota St looks like they're upping the ante as well. But once you get beyond those schools, there does seem to be a gap, especially when it comes to recruiting expenditures.

Comment

I'll try not to go to deep with this but:

"JUNEAU — The Alaska Senate's Republican-led majority on Monday followed through on its pledge to cut 5 percent from schools, pairing that proposal with a new cut to the university system and legislation to eliminate a state-sponsored scholarship program."

UA is facing a vote for getting $21.7 million getting cut from an already thin budget. UAA is becoming a shell of itself (which is not saying a lot), and UA_ shut down a dorm due to low usage (another failed water test on campus too?). Meanwhile all the mini-satellite campus over our sparsely populated state are still running.

Last year a similar cut didn't have the chance to get voted on. Attendance was down this school year, Jim Johnsen maybe it was the public knowledge of sports possibly getting cut from any or both schools, professors leaving left and right, the recession which is now in full effect statewide, low oil prices remain, etc.

The bright point is that now at 9 pm, it's still pretty light outside.

Oh and that performance based scholarship was a huge factor for many of my friends slumming it and staying for college in Alaska.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      well I don't doubt what you say is true but.... lets say we each get 4 additional games out of conference and that we choose to use 2 of them. home and home with someone else in consecutive years for instance. If we win 50% of those games are we better off as a league in the power, or worse off. ? I'd bet we are better. This is a problem for guys like geoff.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Is there a concern that Minn St leaves at some point to the NCHC? It seems like the failed joint bid (Minn St/ASU) might have tripped them up last season there. But will they make the attempt to go back on their own or with another school? I don't see ASU being back in the NCHC mix. If the Alaska thing falls apart, are there others that would follow if they only have "shoestring" budgets? Or would that make it easier for schools, costwise? That's why I found the topic yesterday on USCHO live interesting as there were talks of coaches being aware of the negative domino that could start if a few teams start dropping. And to davyd83's point, I would imagine they (ASU) would be looking at some sort of 5-year commitment with a penalty for leaving. That would be good business sense for the WCHA.

Are all schools in the WCHA doing travel subsidies to the Alaska's and UAH?

Comment

Is there a concern that Minn St leaves at some point to the NCHC? It seems like the failed joint bid (Minn St/ASU) might have tripped them up last season there. But will they make the attempt to go back on their own or with another school? I don't see ASU being back in the NCHC mix. If the Alaska thing falls apart, are there others that would follow if they only have "shoestring" budgets? Or would that make it easier for schools, costwise? That's why I found the topic yesterday on USCHO live interesting as there were talks of coaches being aware of the negative domino that could start if a few teams start dropping. And to davyd83's point, I would imagine they (ASU) would be looking at some sort of 5-year commitment with a penalty for leaving. That would be good business sense for the WCHA.

Make of it what you will, but Bowling Green turned down an invitation (formal or informal, I'm not sure) to the NCHC last summer. This was said by BG's athletic director earlier this season.

Comment

I honestly don't see ASU being let into a conference until their arena situation is figured out. I do think that had a lot to do with the failed bid into the NCHC.

As for conference stability, other than the Alaska schools, I think the other schools are pretty stable, even if they some are on shoestring budgets. That being said, I've heard a few coaches talk over the last few years of another realignment, something that is a little bit more planned than what happened when PSU game onto the scene & everyone had to scramble. What I'm hoping that means is that some form of the former CCHA comes back, with teams like Robert Morris or Niagra joining it, the NCHC dissolving & reforming as the WCHA. (If this were to come, I would hope Miami-Ohio & WMU rejoin the CCHA clone, with MTU, MSU, Bemidji joining the WCHA.) - Other than hearing rumors, everything else is just my thoughts on it.
                            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                              Make of it what you will, but Bowling Green turned down an invitation (formal or informal, I'm not sure) to the NCHC last summer. This was said by BG's athletic director earlier this season.
                              I followed up with Moose right after after he said that (I couldn't corral him fast enough and clearly we were both at the same event) and he corrected me by stating were not formally invited but that the NCHC sent "feelers" and that upon review by the hockey staff, AD, and administration (which I took to mean Mazey) we replied non merci. Don't know exactly if Berge was fer or agin, but the overall feeling was we are better off where we are pending the next round of realignment.

I posted this in the BG thread awhile back hoping some of the more "in the know" people would share their insights since Moose didn't feel the need to keep it a secret any longer but there were no takers.
                              Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 04-06-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X