Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHL Officially not going to 2018 Olympics

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    It should be handled like the world juniors. None of this take a year off nonsense to train with Olympic team. Have a camp and select a team. How long are the olympics? How many college games would a player miss?
    Olympics begin (Opening Ceremony) Friday, February 9 and end (Closing Ceremony; Gold Medal game) Sunday, February 25. Assuming the players need 7-10 days at camp, that would likely mean the players would be out the entire month of February. For most teams, that means missing about 8 games (and for the "Boston" schools, the Beanpot!), the majority of which are conference games.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I think it's in the best interests, beyond financial support, for the IOC and Bettman and Co. to head back to the negotiating table and cut a deal. You can't put a price on the patriotism the Olympics represents in the minds of millions of fans. I kinda think we haven't heard the end of the story yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Would the AHL even go against the NHL on this issue? Would AHL teams want to disrupt their stretch drives by allowing their best players to leave for a month?
        That assumes they'd be "going against" them. In the end this will be up to the clubs. They may see an opportunity to give some of their players international experience. I think a lot will come down to injury insurance and compensation.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Ovie says he's going.
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
            Ovie says he's going.
            ..and Caps owner supports his decision.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
              Ovie says he's going.
              A lot of Russian players say they are going. This is going to create quite the lopsided talent level. In some ways, it will be like the World Championships, which are hit and miss depending on which players are on teams that have been eliminated from the playoffs. There's a reason why nobody cares about the World Championships...

I read an article that the German NHL players are absolutely p*ssed! Germany finally gets promoted to play in the Olympics, and the NHL says, "The joke's on you!"
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

No deadlines have been set. There's still plenty of time for solvency for both parties. I would not be surprised if after all the political posturing over $$$ issues is finally resolved, the NHL will be in the 2018 Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  A lot of Russian players say they are going. This is going to create quite the lopsided talent level. In some ways, it will be like the World Championships, which are hit and miss depending on which players are on teams that have been eliminated from the playoffs. There's a reason why nobody cares about the World Championships...

I read an article that the German NHL players are absolutely p*ssed! Germany finally gets promoted to play in the Olympics, and the NHL says, "The joke's on you!"
                  Russell

This side of the Atlantic doesn't care, but it's a big deal in Europe.

Remember, those kids have been brought up that the highest honor is to play for the national team and win international competitions. Their domestic leagues shut down (or are over) for international events.

Sort of like Minnesota HS which still holds sway over Juniors, unlike the rest of the USA.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                  X