Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!

Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The one that's just an hour long from PBS?
    Yep...they also made the Oklahoma City Bombing one which is ****ed near a sequel to it.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

lubba wubba dub dub

It's a love letter to sci-fi geeks across the nation. Mostly, Star Wars beats Star Trek.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    If you're SF, Star Trek > Star Wars. If you're Fantasy, Star Wars beats Star Trek.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-02-2017 at 07:09 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    If you're SF, Star Trek > Star Wars. If you're Fantasy, Star Wars beats Star Trek.
    I just meant in regards to the trailer. The interaction between Sweets and Trekkie girl were pretty funny.

I happen to like both series of movies and TV shows, even in the process of watching Enterprise right now.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I just meant in regards to the trailer. The interaction between Sweets and Trekkie girl were pretty funny.

I happen to like both series of movies and TV shows, even in the process of watching Enterprise right now.
    In all honesty, I thought it looked hackneyed, lazy, and out of date. We're way beyond those stereotypes, and only Hollywood is holding on to them since the race to the rubes will always downplay intelligence.

The intelligent people I've met in my life cover the mean +/- 3 standard deviations at the normal distribution. The extremely beautiful tend to be on the whole stupid by simple exchange theory predictors (they don't need to work hard to get what they want) and the extremely ugly tend to be Ma and Pa Kettle Trump voter who lack both the self-awareness and the mental means to make an effort. Other than that nerds are mostly average in looks and human interactions.

This is what happens when pretty people try to make a movie about smart people. Meh, whatever -- it may play with the middle.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-02-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

FUN. Lots of Fun.

The Seven Five:

Documentary about Michael Dowd, a VERY corrupt NYPD cop in the late 80s. The doc is raw; blunt. One of the drug dealers, Diaz.....I almost respect his honesty. He knows what he is, and how he handles it. Highly recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

FUN. Lots of Fun.
    Yeah, the cameos were really well done, too. It's also fun to note that the bad guy was actually fleshed out into a full character that wasn't a caricature of a character.

A man called Ove is now on Prime- had meant to read the book first, but oh well.
    Really well done- yes it's in Swedish- but better than the typical"mean old man" storyline that's been done before. The Swedish aspects were esp great (Saab vs Volvo)

Why Him? (Netflix disc)

Somewhat predictable raunchy stupid comedy that is rather enjoyable. Can't say it's a classic, but it is funny overall. James Franco remains the champ at the guy who you wouldn't mind hanging out with once in a while, but has a personality that makes you want to punch him in the face for no real reason. Cranston and Mullaly are great in their roles, especially Mullaly. If you want a few laughs, toss this movie in. Worth it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

At least one reviewer is less than enthused about King Arthur: the Legend of the Sword:

My first instinct, staggering out of a screening of “ King Arthur : Legend of the Sword,” was to blame the victim.

The victim in this case was me—though there will soon be many others as Guy Ritchie’s pox on Camelot infests the multiplexes. I felt soul-sick and brain-bruised, but also bewildered. Could the movie have been as vacant, joyless, incoherent, screw-loose and, not to put too fine a point on it, idiotic as I thought it was? I must have dozed, or failed to grasp crucial moments that held the whole thing together. But I didn’t doze, and, by the light of day, there was nothing to grasp, no sword of understanding to pull triumphantly from a stone. This latest retelling of the ancient Arthurian myth is a stinker for the ages.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    At least one reviewer is less than enthused about King Arthur: the Legend of the Sword:
    I'd recommend skip it, and go rent Excalibur.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Win It All:

Degenerate gambler hits rock bottom, but finds love along the way and straightens his life out. Not as rom-com as it sounds. It's actually rather accurate to how a degenerate thinks at times. Worth a time-kill, nothing more.

American Experience: The War Of The Worlds:

Figured I'd put it here. About an hour long doc on WHY the broadcast worked in instilling fear in the American people. The background of what else was going on, the state of the economics in the US, how popular radio was, all the factors. Came away with a better understanding of the phenomenon, although I still am of the opinion that whoever believed it was not too bright. Relevant, too, in this day of fake news and alternative facts, and how humans perceive what they hear

He fixes the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post

Figured I'd put it here. About an hour long doc on WHY the broadcast worked in instilling fear in the American people. The background of what else was going on, the state of the economics in the US, how popular radio was, all the factors. Came away with a better understanding of the phenomenon, although I still am of the opinion that whoever believed it was not too bright. Relevant, too, in this day of fake news and alternative facts, and how humans perceive what they hear
    Everyone knew the name Orson Welles after that.

What. A. Voice. BTW.

My grandfather went to the roof of his tenement in the Bronx to see if the Martians were approaching.

Could something similar work today?

He fixes the cable?

A lot of people tuned in halfway through, which caused a lot of the confusion. People that listened to the entire broadcast weren't duped.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Could something similar work today?
    That's my point about the fake news and alt facts......it does work. And that's scary, given the technology we have today.....

And soh hit it partially on the head. Many other factors went into it, too.

That's my point about the fake news and alt facts......it does work. And that's scary, given the technology we have today.....

And soh hit it partially on the head. Many other factors went into it, too.
    I fully believe this could happen today given the state of affairs.

I've always wanted to hear the original from orson.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I fully believe this could happen today given the state of affairs.

I've always wanted to hear the original from orson.
    https://youtu.be/Xs0K4ApWl4g

Thread Information