X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    It means that a director or writer REALLLLLLLLLY has to suck to screw up an adaptation of a Shakespearean play. Almost has to be intentional about it.
    Balderdash. There are plenty of great books and stories that are turned into absolute mush by Michael Bay wannabes.

It still takes a good film crew to make a good film. Regardless of whether the original writers handed down acts written by god himself.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Balderdash. There are plenty of great books and stories that are turned into absolute mush by Michael Bay wannabes.

It still takes a good film crew to make a good film. Regardless of whether the original writers handed down acts written by god himself.
      And we're saying that it takes Michael Bay on steroids to ruin Shakespeare. Ol' Willy was that good.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I disagree.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I disagree.
          Obviously.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            What else falls into that category? Tommy Boy? American Pie? 40-year Old Virgin? Anchorman? Super Troopers? Clerks? Harold & Kumar GTWC? Top Secret? Better Off Dead?
            Half of those have zero to do with being a teenager/young adult so no
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

And we're saying that it takes Michael Bay on steroids to ruin Shakespeare. Ol' Willy was that good.
              I am sure you can find plenty of renditions of Shakespeare that people would think are horrible. (like say the Mel Gibson Hamlet or Laurence Fishbourne in Othello) Shakespeare is no more immune than any other writer to having stories made of his plays that are terrible.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I am sure you can find plenty of renditions of Shakespeare that people would think are horrible. (like say the Mel Gibson Hamlet or Laurence Fishbourne in Othello) Shakespeare is no more immune than any other writer to having stories made of his plays that are terrible.
                Again, we're not saying he's infallible. We're just saying that you really have to work at it.

Comment

And I am saying you are full of it It is just as easy for Shakespeare based movies to suck as it is anyone else.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    It is just as easy for Shakespeare based movies to suck as it is anyone else.
                    "Just as easy" is overstating it. You can ruin Shakespeare, but it takes severe negligence or actual intent. If you take the average Hollywood director, the average cast, and the average screenplay writer, you're going to turn out a good product with more than half of Shakespeare's plays. (If you try a double diamond like Cymbeline or Pericles you are guaranteed to fail, but that's because the source material is all over the place.)

A good high school drama club can produce a compelling Julius Caesar or Romeo and Juliet. The material is simply that good.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yes, I have, well most of them.
                      I recommend the BBC box set. It has all of the agreed-upon canon and it's a great way to capture, say, Titus Andronicus, or Troilus and Cressida, or Two Gentlemen of Verona. It is genuinely fun to have seen every Shakespeare play. Also, the productions are wonderful.

It is also amazing that while some of the plays have weaknesses and some were obviously handed off to secondary writers for at least one of the acts, not a single play credited to Him sucks. ( Merry Wives is the closest, but it compares favorably with most farce written at the same time, and it famously is pure fan service and a cash dive.)

2 caveats on the box set:

(1) make sure you get the correct region unless you have a DVD player that doesn't care (I actually bought a DVD player just to play my region 2 set).
                      (2) pay attention to the prices! I bought mine on Amazon for about $125, but I have seen them go for as high as $1000. Pay attention. :-)
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I am watching LA Story for the first time in years...still love it!
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I recommend the BBC box set. It has all of the agreed-upon canon and it's a great way to capture, say, Titus Andronicus, or Troilus and Cressida, or Two Gentlemen of Verona. It is genuinely fun to have seen every Shakespeare play. Also, the productions are wonderful.

It is also amazing that while some of the plays have weaknesses and some were obviously handed off to secondary writers for at least one of the acts, not a single play credited to Him sucks. ( Merry Wives is the closest, but it compares favorably with most farce written at the same time, and it famously is pure fan service and a cash dive.)

2 caveats on the box set:

(1) make sure you get the correct region unless you have a DVD player that doesn't care (I actually bought a DVD player just to play my region 2 set).
                          (2) pay attention to the prices! I bought mine on Amazon for about $125, but I have seen them go for as high as $1000. Pay attention. :-)
                          It's tough to argue with anything BBC does.

I agree, WATCH THOSE PRICES. I have bought stuff on Amazon (the Summit Series, Akira Kurosawa box set) and stuff like that, the price varies quite often, and by quite a bit.

Comment

It's tough to argue with anything BBC does.
                            The other thing I'd recommend is read this book from cover to cover. Bloom has his hobby horses (he's on Falstaff's tip far too often) but it's a warm and deep survey of the work, written before the rot began to set in on English criticism. People who went to a tier 1 college after 1975 or any college after 1990 will probably never have had the benefit of a non-idiotic lit course. For them, this is like fresh air blowing away all the snot-nosed Derridean Academy cob webs.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              The other thing I'd recommend is read this book from cover to cover. Bloom has his hobby horses (he's on Falstaff's tip far too often) but it's a warm and deep survey of the work, written before the rot began to set in on English criticism. People who went to a tier 1 college after 1975 or any college after 1990 will probably never have had the benefit of a non-idiotic lit course. For them, this is like fresh air blowing away all the snot-nosed Derridean Academy cob webs.
                              I'm not THAT into Shakespeare!

Just echoing that BBC doesn't mess around when it comes to serious stuff. They have a reputation that they would prefer to keep.

Comment

I'm not THAT into Shakespeare!
                                Try that book and I'll bet you'll be. Harold leaves it all on the field. That book is very smart, but more importantly it captures the balls and the fury in the Bard. It is not for the faint of heart; he isn't f-cking around and he give exactly zero f-cks who he makes uncomfortable.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X