X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Split:

Despite being a Shamalamadingdong movie, it was good. Creepy, it did border on ridiculous at times, but never crossed that line. Very much worth a watch. That whole DID thing....it IS real, and rather scary, IMO.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Eastern Promises was so friggin' good. VIGGO! (true story: he forgot to remove his tattoo makeup one day, and walking into a place, and everyone really thought he was a vor z zakone member).
      EP has some good parts, but most of it was so ridiculous I could not help laughing in the theater.

Most current "action dramas" take themselves so seriously but the "drama" is cliche situations, scowl acting, and basso profondo music cues (e.g., Taken, "The Americans", anything relating to Tom Clancy except Red October, any police drama).

There are a few good ones (Salt was great, and that one with the girl in Scandanavia who winds up in the funhouse in Germany) that somehow avoid this but Sturgeon's Law stands.
      Last edited by Kepler; 07-04-2017, 05:50 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I really don't think Taken was meant to be a drama. Just sayin'.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I really don't think Taken was meant to be a drama. Just sayin'.
          Fair point. I took it as an ironic comedy, like what if you made the last scene of Roadhouse into a whole movie.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Woman With 7 Personalities:

Short doc on a woman with 7 personalities, mostly children. Friggin' eerie. She switches without a blink, and while aware of her other personalities, each personality has no clue what the other personalities has done or said.

Who Killed Pablo Escobar?

Another short doc, too short, about his death. Foreign made, but some interesting nuggets in there. This could easily be a 2-3 hour documentary, and that is its downfall, IMO. You really have to know the whole story of his rise and ruling to fully appreciate what is presented here. It's basically a History Channel fill-in when they have nothing else to show, otherwise.

Comment

Hearts of Darkness. Documentary by Eleanor Coppola about the making of Apocalypse Now. Interesting watch

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Hearts of Darkness. Documentary by Eleanor Coppola about the making of Apocalypse Now. Interesting watch
                There are more of them?

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                  There are more of them?
                  At least Sofia turned out to be a pretty good director, even though she's a horrible actress.

Comment

School For Scoundrels.

Always meant to watch this one, forgot about it until it popped on my "Suggested For You" list on Netflix. It was pretty funny. The students in the class were like a who's who of actors who have played nerdy/loser guys in past movies/TV (including Sheldon from Big Bang, which I thought was hilarious, since this movie came out in 2006). Billy Bob was excellent in his role, too. I don't think he gets enough accolades because he's such a weirdo in real life.

Comment

School For Scoundrels.

Always meant to watch this one, forgot about it until it popped on my "Suggested For You" list on Netflix. It was pretty funny. The students in the class were like a who's who of actors who have played nerdy/loser guys in past movies/TV (including Sheldon from Big Bang, which I thought was hilarious, since this movie came out in 2006). Billy Bob was excellent in his role, too. I don't think he gets enough accolades because he's such a weirdo in real life.
                      Never heard of this. Is it an adaptation of the Sheridan play?
                      Cornell University

Comment

The newest Spiderman movie has been getting really good reviews.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          I will see it this evening.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            I heard half of a review on it, and the guy was saying the tone is much lighter than the Andrew Garfield movies. The tone works very well, by all accounts.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              I will see it this evening.
                              Taking the family in an hour to go see it in 3D. Coincidentally my company is having a recognition bit next week and I'll get to see it again this time in IMAX with dinner served. Hopefully it's worthy of a 2nd showing so soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Never heard of this. Is it an adaptation of the Sheridan play?
                                Plot is a loser guy takes this super secret class as self-help to get the girl. Trouble is, the teacher falls for the girl in question, also. Game on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh-nQKB8fwg

The Salvation:

Western where a man's family is murdered, he murders the killer, unleashing the fury of the local gang leader, blah blah blah. Predictable one-man-against-an-army movie. Meh.

Comment

Working...
                                X